Once you have made the BBQ Pork Spare Ribs Rub, it is time to make your barbecue sauce, as you will need some of the Pork Rub for this recipe. This sauce is adapted for the Slow Cooker from the Neely’s recipe for the stove top.
The sauce is a vinegar/acidic sauce and pairs with the BBQ Pork Rib Rub Recipe, for my BBQ Pork Spare Ribs. It is very important to note that on its own, this sauce tastes too acidic and too vinegary, so, please don’t taste it and judge…….yet!!!!
Once you pair it with my BBQ Pork Ribs, you will feel the love. It’s like Sonny without Cher (not the other way around), or a warm bath, without bubbles. Know what I mean?
Yes, I know, there are a lot of ingredients here, but, the good news, is that, if you make the whole recipe, you can freeze half for next time. That’s what I do!
Cook on High for one hour and then reduce the setting to Low or Warm. If your slow cooker is one of the newer ones, the Low temperature may be higher than the Low temperature on the old Rival Crock Pot units. If that is the case, just turn it to Warm after the first hour and/or adjust the Low and Warm, back and forth, until you get a very low simmer.
To make this sauce in five minutes, try my Pressure Cooker Carolina BBQ Pork Spare Ribs Sauce!
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- 2 quart Slow Cooker
- BBQ Pork Ribs Rub
Here is your handy printable recipe:
- 16 oz Heinz ketchup
- 8 oz Water
- 5 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons White Sugar
- ½ Tablespoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ½ Tablespoon Onion Powder
- ½ Tablespoon Dry Mustard Powder
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 oz Light Corn Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Rub
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and whisk together well.
- Cook on High Heat for one hour.
- Reduce setting to Low or Warm and cook for 4-5 hours, whisking, every once in a while.
- Pour over BBQ Pork Spare Ribs.