Seriously, this is the Best Ever Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake. Sour Cream, Walnuts, Brown Sugar, Real Butter; it is perfect with a of hot coffee!cup
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
This cake is probably the best cake I have ever put into my mouth.
In 1970, new neighbors moved in to the neighborhood, two houses from me.
They had kids!
One girl my age and a younger brother!
Terri’s mother was known for her Chocolate Chip Cakes.
I had my first taste when I was 10 years old.
When I was 13 years old, Terri’s mom, gave me her recipe.
I’ve baked this Chocolate Chip Cake, ever since.
I used to work for a law firm in Beverly Hills and we did monthly birthdays.
This cake was the most requested.
People could not believe that I baked it myself and thought it was purchased from the finest bakery.
These days, that would not be such a compliment as I’m not really that fond of bakeries anymore, as they no longer seem to use quality ingredients.
I believe in always using the best quality ingredients that you can afford. Use a Springform Pan with Hole for this recipe.
The topping is so good, I could eat it with a spoon. I usually make double the amount of topping needed, because I love it so much.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- LamsonSharp Chef’s Slotted Turner– I totally love this spatula!
- 6 oz Porcelain Ramekins
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Small 1.5 Quart “Pot in Pot” Mixing Bowl
- Lock N Lock Small Container
- Lock N Lock Storage Container
- Springform Pan with Hole (10 inches) for this recipe.
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- 1 10 inch Springform Pan with Hole
- Put all Topping ingredients into a bowl and using your hand, crumble together and then set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together. Add the eggs and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture slowly and beat well. Add sour cream and vanilla and beat well.
- Fold in chocolate chips last.
- Pour into a buttered/greased spring form pan. Sprinkle the Topping over the top of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool an hour before removing outer pan ring.
- After the cake is completely cooled, carefully place spatulas under the cake on at least two sides and have a second person cradle the cake with their hands and carefully life up the cake and place it on a cake plate
½ cup butter
½ cup walnuts
2 tsp cocoa
¾ cup flour
6 oz chocolate chips