Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake is inspired by Lindy’s Restaurant in New York, known for their famous Cheesecake. This will blow your mind. Really it will! Make it in your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or any Pressure Cooker.
Years ago, my friend and co-worker, Phyllis, came to work one day with the most gigantic and gorgeous looking cheesecake I had ever seen. I could hardly wait until lunch time to have a slice. Each piece was so tall and luscious and big.
I know cheesecake and I LOVE cheesecake. It’s my all time favorite dessert.
Phyllis’ cheesecake (from Lindy’s restaurant in New York) turned out to be the best cheesecake I have ever had. I immediately converted it to the Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and it is still he best cheesecake I have ever tasted.
Ingredients for New York Cheesecake.
- Cream Cheese – make sure to use Philadelphia brand as in this case, quality brands matter.
- Graham Crackers – plain or cinnamon are authentic to this recipe. However, chocolate graham crackers,
- Biscoff Cookies / Speculoos Cookies, Biscotti and many other cookies can be used for variation in flavor profile!
- White Sugar – low carb sweeteners can be subbed for a keto cheesecake.
- Eggs – whole eggs and extra yolk(s) for extra creaminess.
- Vanilla Extract
- Orange and Lemon Zests – with such a tiny amount, citrus is not detected, but they brighten the recipe and take the flavor to a whole other level. Don’t skip. 🙂
- All Purpose Four – this makes the cake more dense, but is totally optional. An extra day in the fridge chilling will do almost the same thing. But, do you want to wait two days to enjoy this yummy New York Cheesecake?
- Sour Cream – part of the traditional top layer of a true New York Cheesecake. Similar in flavor to a sweetened crème fraîche, this layer melts into the cheesecake and becomes one with the cake. I promise you will NOT know that it is sour cream. It becomes just creamy, refreshing and sweet.
How to make Crust for Pressure Cooker Cheesecake.
- A food processor makes quick work of crushing cookies.
- Sweetener and butter is added.
- The crumbs are then packed into the cheesecake pan and placed into the freezer.
How to Make Crust for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake.
- A push pan is a whole lot easier than a spring form pan. I always wonder what is stuck in the sliding part of the spring area.
- Parchment Rounds make life so much easier.
- Butter is your friend – grease well!
- A Fox Run Tart Tamper helps to press the crumbs into the Pan, but your fingers will work well.
- Freezing the crust while preparing the filling is suggested.
Prevent a soggy crust by first reading these guidelines.
How to Make New York Cheesecake Filling.
- Ingredients should be at room temperature to avoid lumps.
- A good food processor is the easiest kitchen appliance to use for making cheesecake.
- Cream cheese and other ingredients are blended until smooth.
- All Purpose Flour can be substituted with Potato Starch, or Arrowroot Powder for low carb diets.
- When using the Microplane, for the zest, make sure not to scrape off any of the pith. Meyer lemons have a thin and bitter skin, so Eureka lemons are suggested
The zest shouldn’t be detected and serve to enhance the flavor of the cheesecake.
Be gentle with the eggs. You’ve read my article first, right; where I go into specific details?
Some people like to make individual size cheesecakes using Mason Jars, like the above photo.
They can be made with or without crust. Just divide the crust (if using), filling and topping equally between each jar.
The mini 4-inch cheesecake pans are perfect for two, like for Valentine’s Day. They also make nice gifts.
Notice that you cannot see the crust. This is good and what you want.
Gift Giving Supplies for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake.
- Cake Boxes – beautiful white square cake boxes, which are easy to carry.
- Cake Rounds – white round cardboard cake bases to make pulling out the cake from the box easy and effortless.
A paper towel over the top, will keep the Cheesecake moist as it cooks.
Make sure it is taut. You don’t want the paper towel to sink into the filling.
The foil will hold it in place.
Some people like to use Grafiti Bands Cross Style as they make it so easy to get pans and bowls in and out of the Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker. The Grafiti Bands will hold the paper towel in place nicely, as well.
How to Tell if Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake is Cooked.
- A cheesecake is done before the center of it is set.
- It will be a teeny bit jiggly in the center (no more than one inch) and the sides will be slightly higher (they will flatten out shortly).
- Tilt the cheesecake a bit and use a paper towel to remove any condensation/water that got trapped under the foil during cooking.
- Also, notice that when tilted, nothing is running out of the center and there is no sluffing of the cake whatsoever.
- This is a perfect jiggle.
- The heat that is trapped inside will continue to cook the center while the cheesecake cools.
What is the Sweet Crème Fraîche Layer?
- It is a refreshing, light, creamy and sweet top layer that is found on any good authentic New York Cheesecake.
- This layer melts into the hot, baked filling and becomes one with the cake.
- It is not a “topping,” so if you are one who likes to add cherries or other fruit, you can still do that when you serve the cheesecake.
- This Sweet Crème Fraîche is so delicious on its own, you can even top a bowl of strawberries or blueberries and have a sweet and light dessert.
Grab your whisk and the three ingredients and you are good to go!.
Alternatively, you can use Homemade Instant Pot/Mealthy/GoWise Greek Yogurt, if you like. You may need a touch more sugar though, so taste it to makes sure that it is sweet.
The Sweet Cream Completer Layer is typical of a true Jewish Deli New York Cheesecake, as seen in Lindy’s Restaurant and Junior’s Restaurant. Skipping that layer is like the song, “Love and Marriage.” I can hear Frank Sinatra singing in my ear.
“Love and marriage, love and marriage
Go together like a horse and carriage
Dad was told by mother
You can’t have one, you can’t have none
You can’t have one without the other.”
How to Remove Instant Pot Cheesecake from Push Pan.
- It is easy to remove the sides of the push pan.
- Grab a jar and place underneath the pan and firmly push down on the sides.
Why Wait 24 Hours for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake to Set.
- Note, that cheesecakes need a full 24 hours to set properly, develop flavor and become dense, so prepare accordingly.
- Otherwise, it will be somewhat flavorless.
- All cheesecakes will taste much, much, much, better. Really, I am not joking.
- If you decide to eat the Cheesecake the same day it was baked, understand that it will taste eggy and be light and not dense.
I use this LamsonSharp Chef’s Slotted Turner to remove the cheesecake to a plate. It’s super thin and fits easily between the Cheesecake and the base of the pan.
The Parchment Round peels right off the cake.
It is not a good idea to cut the cheesecake on top of the push pan base, as it will scratch and sticking will become a problem.
Rubbermaid Disposable Containers are perfect for Cheesecake transport.
Use the lid as the base for the cheesecake (see photos above) and the bowl as the cover! The Containers are cheap enough not to worry about bringing the Container home!
Cheesecakes freeze really well. I like to slice up the Cheesecake and place a piece of waxed paper in between each slice.
Then I place the whole Cheesecake into a Round Lock & Lock (which is BP free) and store in the freezer. Easy, peasy.
When you want a piece of Cheesecake, just remove a slice and in 30 minutes, you’ve got yummy Cheesecake! I use Lock & Lock for all my pantry items too. You’ve probably noticed them in many of my recipe photos.
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake.
- Read my article on How to Make Perfect Pressure Cooker Cheesecake Guide.
- Allow cream cheese and eggs to become room temperature before starting.
- Grease push pan well, for easy cheesecake release.
- Mix in eggs last and do so very slowly only until barely incorporated.
- Leave Instant Pot New York Cheesecake in pressure cooker untouched for 20 minutes.
- Pour sweet/creamy layer onto hot cheesecake and let sit for one hour.
- Do not attempt to cut cheesecake for at least 24 hours.
Other Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipes to Make.
- Pressure Cooker Meyer Lemon Cheesecake
- Holiday Spice Peppernuts Cheesecake – Biscoff Cookies are perfect for this recipe!
- Pressure Cooker Peppermint Milkshake Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Blackberry Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Cookies ‘N Creme Cheesecake – check the post for a photo of an 8 ounce single
- Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake Style Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Banana Pudding Cheesecake.
- Pressure Cooker Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Italian Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake, which are 50% less calories.
- Pressure Cooker Three Ingredient Japanese Cotton Cheesecake is a totally different take on a cheesecake.
- Pressure Cooker Red White and Blue Cheesecake Singles – great for 4th of July and made in mini 4 oz size Mason Jars.
- Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Muffin Cheesecake Bites recipe is perfect for Winter gatherings!
My fabulous and original Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake recipe has been duplicated and is popping up on blogs and in cookbooks unfortunately, so make sure to share this recipe with all your friends and all your groups.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- LamsonSharp Chef’s Slotted Turner– I totally love this spatula!
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Sonder LA Acacia Wood Cutting Board with Groove
- KitchenAid 11 Cup Food Processor
- Microplane Stainless Steel Zester
- 6 inch Fat Daddio’s Push Pan
- 6 inch Parchment Paper Round
- Graham Crackers
- Rubbermaid Disposable Containers – for holiday travel!
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot New York CheesecakePrint Pin Rate
- Please read my article Perfect Pressure Cooker Cheesecake Tips & Guide, before proceeding.
- Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave or on stove top and add to graham cracker mixture. Pulse until just combined.
- Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 6-inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
- Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.
- Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of your pressure cooker and then place a trivet inside the pot.
- Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
- Place cheesecake into pressure cooker using a sling.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 38 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 18 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and gently remove the pan. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
- The center (no more than an inch) will be slightly jiggly (not wet, JIGGLY), but don't worry. The heat that is trapped inside will continue to cook the center while the cheesecake cools.
Crème Fraîche Layer
- Whisk together the sour cream, extract and sugar to make a Sweet Crème Fraîche and then spread on the hot cheesecake. Let cool on wire rack for at least one hour.
- Lightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.
8 oz Wide Mouth Glass Jar - cook 7 minutes
4 oz Wide Mouth Glass Jar - cook 4 minutes
16 oz Glass Jars - DON'T DO IT!
15 minute Natural Pressure Release