Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #1 Best Recipe! is inspired by Lindy’s Restaurant in New York, known for their famous Cheesecake. This will blow your mind. Really it will!
Years ago, my friend and co-worker, Phyllis, came to work one day with the most gigantic and gorgeous looking cheesecake I had ever seen.
I could hardly wait until lunch time to have a slice. Each piece was so tall and luscious and big. Phyllis’ cheesecake (from Lindy’s restaurant in New York) turned out to be the best cheesecake I have ever had. I immediately converted it to the Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and it is still he best cheesecake I have ever tasted.
I know cheesecake and I LOVE cheesecake. It’s my all time favorite dessert. You are going to love the authentic taste of this Instant Pot New York Cheesecake!
Pro Tip: Read my Perfect Pressure Cooker Cheesecake Tips & Guide article before making your first cheesecake.
Pro Tip: A food processor makes quick work of crushing cookies to make the crust.
Can I use Other Cookies to Make the Crust?
- Yes, you sure can. While plain or cinnamon graham crackers are used in the original Lindy’s recipe, other cookies work very well too.
Some favorite crispy alternatives are:
Many other cookies can be used for variation in flavor profile! This is a personal preference.
Push Pan v. Spring Form Pan
- A push pan is a whole lot easier than a spring form pan. I always wonder what is stuck in the sliding part of the spring area.
- Since the posting of this recipe, I started using this stainless steel cake push pan + mini pans set instead as it has a handle and can be lowered and removed easily from the pressure cooker.
Orange and Lemon Zests – with such a tiny amount, citrus is not detected, but they brighten the recipe and take the flavor to a whole other level. Don’t skip. 🙂
How to Make Low Carb Instant Pot New York Cheesecake
- Your favorite low carb sweeteners can be subbed for the white sugar.
- Any crispy low carb cookie can be used for the crust or you can make an almond flour crust.
- Leave out the all purpose flour in the filling and add 5 minutes to the cook time.
Pro Tip: When using the Microplane, for the zest, make sure not to scrape off any of the pith. Meyer lemons have a thin and bitter skin, so Eureka lemons are suggested. The zest shouldn’t be detected and serve to enhance the flavor of the cheesecake.
Can I Use a Stand Mixer or Hand Blender?
- Yes. While my preference is a food processor, other tools for mixing the filling can be used.
- I really like this Cuisinart Hand Mixer because there is a very, very slow option, which comes in handy for mixing in the eggs.
- The KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Professional Series is a nice stand mixer. Just be careful that you adjust the speed, so you don’t end up with a whipped filling.
Some people like to make individual size cheesecakes using Mason Jars, like the above photo. They can be made with or without crust. Just divide the crust (if using), filling and topping equally between each jar.
They also make nice gifts. This Old Gal Fan, Lubna Dadahboy makes mini 4-inch cheesecake, which are perfect for two. Valentine’s Day is a nice time to share a mini.
Notice that you cannot see the crust. This is good and what you want.
A paper towel over the top, will keep the Cheesecake moist as it cooks. Make sure it is taut. You don’t want the paper towel to sink into the filling. The foil will hold it in place.
If using this stainless steel cake push pan + mini pans set, you do not need a sling!
Follow my guide to make a Homemade Sling if you don’t have the pan with handles.
A cheesecake is done before the center of it is set.
How to Tell if New York Cheesecake is Cooked.
- It will be a teeny bit jiggly in the center (no more than one inch) and the sides will be slightly higher (they will flatten out shortly).
- Tilt the cheesecake a bit and use a paper towel to remove any condensation/water that got trapped under the foil during cooking.
- Also, notice that when tilted, nothing is running out of the center and there is no sluffing of the cake whatsoever. This is a perfect jiggle.
The heat that is trapped inside will continue to cook the center while the cheesecake cools. If there is more than a tiny movement, put the Cheesecake back into the Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and cook for another 3 minutes and ten wait 10 to release.
The Sweet Cream Completer Layer is typical of a true Jewish Deli New York Cheesecake, as seen in Lindy’s Restaurant and Junior’s Restaurant. It is refreshing, light, creamy and sweet top layer that is found on any good authentic New York Cheesecake. Skipping that layer is like the song, “Love and Marriage.” I can hear Frank Sinatra singing in my ear.
“Love and marriage, love and marriage
Go together like a horse and carriage
Dad was told by mother
You can’t have one, you can’t have none
You can’t have one without the other.”
Similar in flavor to a sweetened crème fraîche, this layer melts into the cheesecake and becomes one with the cake. It becomes just creamy, refreshing and sweet and I promise you will NOT taste sour cream. As this is not a “topping,” you can add cherries or other fruit to your cheesecake when you serve.
This Sweet Cream Completer Layer is so delicious on its own, you can even top a bowl of strawberries or blueberries and have a sweet and light dessert. Alternatively, you can use Homemade Instant Pot/Mealthy/GoWise Greek Yogurt, if you like. You may need a touch more sugar though, so taste it to makes sure that it is sweet.
How to Remove Cheesecake from Push Pan
- It is easy to remove the sides of the push pan.
- Grab a jar and place underneath the pan and firmly push down on the sides.
Why Wait 24 Hours for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake to Set
- Note, that cheesecakes need a full 24 hours to set properly, develop flavor and become dense, so prepare accordingly.
- Otherwise, it will be somewhat flavorless.
- All cheesecakes will taste much, much, much, better. Really, I am not joking.
- If you decide to eat the Cheesecake the same day it was baked, understand that it will taste eggy and be light and not dense.
I use this LamsonSharp Chef’s Slotted Turner to remove the cheesecake to a plate. It’s super thin and fits easily between the Cheesecake and the base of the pan.
The Parchment Round peels right off the cake.
It is not a good idea to cut the cheesecake on top of the push pan base, as it will scratch and sticking will become a problem.
Gift Giving Supplies for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake.
- Cake Boxes – beautiful white square cake boxes, which are easy to carry.
- Cake Rounds – white round cardboard cake bases to make pulling out the cake from the box easy and effortless.
Rubbermaid Disposable Containers are perfect for Cheesecake transport. Use the lid as the base for the cheesecake (see photos above) and the bowl as the cover! The Containers are cheap enough not to worry about bringing the Container home!
How To Freeze Cheesecake
- Since cheesecakes freeze really well, I wanted to show you the best way to freeze them.
- Use a freezer safe container, like the one below and turn it upside down, so that the lid of the container will now act as the base.
- Slice up the Cheesecake into 6-8 pieces and place a piece of waxed paper in between each slice. Place the top (which used to be the bottom) of the container and lock it in place.
- When you want a piece of Cheesecake, just remove a slice and in 30 minutes, you’ve got yummy Cheesecake!
For larger Cheesecake Containers, try this one and store in the freezer. Easy, peasy. I use Lock & Lock for all my pantry items too. You’ve probably noticed them in many of my recipe photos.
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot New York Cheesecake.
- Use Philadelphia Cream Cheese (or other high quality brand) and allow cream cheese and eggs to become room temperature before starting.
- Grease well and use a parchment rounds so to make it easier to lift the cake from the pan.
- Freezing the crust while preparing the filling is suggested. Prevent a soggy crust by first reading these guidelines.
- Mix in eggs last and do so very slowly only until barely incorporated.
- For optimal deliciousness, wait at least overnight before cutting into the cheesecake. Serving it any earlier, you may notice an eggy flavor.
Other Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipes to Make.
My fabulous and original Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake recipe has been duplicated and is popping up on blogs and in cookbooks unfortunately, so make sure to share this recipe with all your friends and all your groups.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- LamsonSharp Chef’s Slotted Turner– I totally love this spatula!
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Cuisinart Large Food Processor
- Microplane Stainless Steel Zester
- 6 inch Fat Daddio’s Push Pan or Stainless Steel Cake Push Pan + Mini Pans Set for larger cake
- 6 inch Parchment Paper Round
- Rubbermaid Disposable Containers – for holiday travel!
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
- Please read my article Perfect Pressure Cooker Cheesecake Tips & Guide, before proceeding.
- Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave or on stove top and add to graham cracker mixture. Pulse until just combined.
- Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 6-inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
- Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.
- Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of your pressure cooker and then place a trivet inside the pot.
- Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
- Place cheesecake into pressure cooker using a sling.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 38 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 18 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and gently remove the pan. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
- The center (no more than an inch) will be slightly jiggly (not wet, JIGGLY), but don't worry. The heat that is trapped inside will continue to cook the center while the cheesecake cools.
- Whisk together the sour cream, extract and sugar to make a Sweet Crème Fraîche and then spread on the hot cheesecake. Let cool on wire rack for at least one hour.
- Lightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.
Regarding Sour Cream
- For those who say they hate sour cream. I promise you will NOT know that there is sour cream on the top layer. It becomes just creamy, refreshing and sweet and really makes this cake special. I challenge you to try this recipe as written and then let me know your thoughts. 🙂
- A sweetened sour cream is the top layer of a true and traditional New York Cheesecake. Similar in flavor to a sweetened crème fraîche, this layer melts into the cheesecake and becomes one with the cake. Yogurt can be substituted for sour cream. You will need to add an extra 1/2 teaspoon (or more, depending on how tarty the yogurt is) to the sour cream layer.
- All Purpose Four is used to make the cheesecake more dense, but you can totally leave it out. Your texture will be creamier.
- For a denser filling without using flour add 5 minutes to your cook time.
Timing for Various Size Pans
- If using a 7 inch Cheesecake Pan for this recipe as is, reduce cook time by 5 minutes.
- For a taller 7 inch Cheesecake, increase recipe by one half the amount and cook for 38 minutes.
- For an 8 inch Cheesecake, double the recipe and cook for 40 minutes.
- If using the mini 4 inch pans, divide into three mini pans and cook for 12 minutes, with an 18 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- If using 5 inch pans, cook for 17 minutes, with an 18 minute Natural Pressure Release.
For Single Serving Jar Cheesecake
- 8 oz Wide Mouth Glass Jar - cook 7 minutes
- 4 oz Wide Mouth Glass Jar - cook 4 minutes
- 16 oz Glass Jars - DON'T DO IT!