Think of Instant Pot Matzo Brei as Jewish French Toast or Fried Matzo. During Passover, we only eat unleavened bread. Matzo Brie is eaten for breakfast.
Instant Pot Matzo Brei
I love Matzo so much and eat Matzo any time of the year.
Passover is the commemoration of the Jewish people’s exodus from Egypt.
Matzo symbolizes the Israelites quick haste to leave Egypt and not waiting for the bread to rise.
It symbolizes freedom and redemption.
During Passover, Matzo is used in place of bread.
There was no leavening agents, so the Matzo doesn’t rise and remains flat.
The more religious Jews will not eat Matzo Brie during Passover, since it comes in contact with water.
My Air Fryer Matzo Brie is a sweet and comforting breakfast, which Jews eat during Passover.
It is sort of like a Jewish French Toast.
Matzo Brie is typically served at breakfast with Maple Syrup.
Some people love to use Applesauce and Sour Cream.
Occasionally, you will see a savory version with Onions, Salt and Pepper, but mostly, Matzo Brie is served for breakfast with Syrup.
I prefer the sweet and simple version.
My Instant Pot Matzo Brie only has a few ingredients and is super simple to make.
What are the Ingredients for Matzo Brei?
Another Passover recipe using Matzo is my Pressure Cooker Passover Vegetable Lasagna. It’s really good and can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Grab a large bowl and break up the Matzo.
To soften the Matzo is soaked in Fresh Water, until it is soft.
When I make Matzo Brie in Cast Iron on the Stove Top, I whisk in a little Milk with the Eggs.
For my Instant Pot Matzo Brei for Passover recipe, I also used Milk, but Cream or Water works well too.
Use a Whisk and whisk until nice and frothy.
If you are going to use Salt, whisk it in with the Eggs.
Be on the lookout for my Air Fryer Matzo Brei recipe.
The water is then squeezed out of the Matzo.
The beaten eggs are then combined with the Matzo for a wet mess. 🙂
I use extra Eggs as I like the Matzo Brei, soft in the center and a bit crisp on the outside.
Always makes sure to heat up the Instant Pot cooking pot.
Then add the fat. This will help to make the pot non-stick.
In this case, I used a touch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Butter!
Swirl the Butter around the pot and a couple of inches up the sides.
Right into the pot, goes the Matzo Brei Mixture.
But, no water, no liquid, how will the Instant Pot come to pressure?
It will! And, it will brown on the bottom.
This method is for a pancake type of Matzo Brei.
My personal preference is to break up the Matzo Brei as it cooks, but for a change, it is nice to dump in the mixture and walk away.
Plus, I wanted to use my Rice Button on my Instant Pot!
I have made Instant Pot Matzo Brei a few ways in the Instant Pot and will update the post with alternative methods.
What a beautiful brown crust.
This literally flipped right out of the Instant Pot.
If you like Jewish food, check out my Air Fryer Chanukkah Latkes recipes. Those are so delicious.
My favorite way to eat Instant Pot Matzo Brei is with Pure Maple Syrup.
My husband likes to use Butter and Sugar.
It is also delicious with Applesauce (there is a fabulous recipe in my new Cookbook) and Sour Cream! Oh yum.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 Pressure Cooker
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Kosher for Passover Matzo
- Pure Maple Syrup
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Matzo Brei
Instant Pot Matzo Brei for PassoverPrint Pin Rate
- Place Matzo in a large Bowl and cover with fresh water. Let soak for about 3-5 minutes, until the Matzo is mostly soft.
- Squeeze water from Matzo and discard Water. Place Matzo back into Bowl.
- 3. Beat the Eggs with the Milk and mix into Matzo.
- Select Sauté on the Instant Pot and allow to fully heat. Add Oil and Butter and swirl it around to coat the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides.
- Pour Matzo Brie into Instant Pot or GoWise Pressure Cooker.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Select the Rice Button. When Beep sounds, wait 5 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Run a Spatula along the edges and remove Matzo Brie from cooking pot. Cut or break up Matzo Brie and serve with Maple Syrup or Applesauce and Sour Cream.