Think of Instant Pot Matzo Brei as Jewish French Toast or Fried Matzo. During Passover, we only eat unleavened bread. Matzo Brie is eaten for breakfast.
Passover is the commemoration of the Jewish people’s exodus from Egypt.
Matzo symbolizes the Israelites quick haste to leave Egypt and not waiting for the bread to rise.
It symbolizes freedom and redemption. During Passover, Matzo is used in place of bread.
There was no leavening agents, so the Matzo doesn’t rise and remains flat. I love Matzo so much and eat Matzo any time of the year.
The more religious Jews will not eat Matzo Brie during Passover, since it comes in contact with water.
Traditionally matzo brei is cooked in a skillet on the stove. It just happens to be fantastic prepared in an Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker too. My Instant Pot Matzo Brei recipe is so easy and it is totally hands off. Just mix up the ingredients, dump it in and push a button!
Matzo Brie is typically served at breakfast with Maple Syrup. Some people love to use Applesauce and Sour Cream.
Ingredients for Matzo Brei?
Occasionally, you will see a savory version with Onions, Salt and Pepper, but mostly, Matzo Brie is served for breakfast with Syrup.
I prefer the sweet and simple version. My Instant Pot Matzo Brie only has a few ingredients and is super simple to make.
Grab a large bowl and break up the Matzo.
To soften the Matzo is soaked in Fresh Water, until it is soft.
Pro Tip: A trick for a fluffier matzo brei is to add a little bit of milk or cream. A touch of ice cold water works well too.
Be on the lookout for my Air Fryer Matzo Brei recipe.
Matzo Brie is really awesome when cooked in Cast Iron Skillet on the Stove Top. The edges get nicely crisp, while the center is moist.
The water is then squeezed out of the Matzo.
The beaten eggs are then combined with the Matzo for a wet mess. 🙂 I use extra Eggs as I like the Matzo Brei, soft in the center and a bit crisp on the outside.
Can Matzo Brei Be Made In Advance?
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients and have them ready to cook in the morning.
Always makes sure to heat up the Instant Pot cooking pot.
Then add the fat. This will help to make the pot non-stick.
In this case, I used a touch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Butter!
Swirl the Butter around the pot and a couple of inches up the sides.
Right into the pot, goes the Matzo Brei Mixture.
It will! And, it will brown on the bottom. This method is for a pancake type of Matzo Brei.
My personal preference is to break up the Matzo Brei as it cooks in cast iron, but for a change, it is nice to dump the mixture into the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and walk away.
Can Instant Pot Matzo Brei Be Frozen?
- Yes, after cooking, wait until it cools.
- Wrap the Matzo Brei in wax paper and then put in into a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System or other air tight container or baggie.
What a beautiful brown crust.
This literally flipped right out of the Instant Pot.
If you like Jewish food, check out my Air Fryer Chanukkah Latkes recipes. Those are so delicious.
My favorite way to eat Instant Pot Matzo Brei is with Pure Maple Syrup.
My husband likes to use Butter and Sugar. How do you eat your Instant Pot Matzo Brei?
More Passover Recipes to Make:
- Passover Matzo Icebox Cake + Video!
- Air Fryer Passover Matzo Taco Chips
- Pressure Cooker Friday Night Shabbos Brisket
- Pressure Cooker Passover Vegetable Matzo Lasagna
It is also delicious with Applesauce (there is a fabulous recipe in my new Cookbook) and Sour Cream! Oh yum.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Kosher for Passover Matzo
- Pure Maple Syrup
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Matzo Brei for PassoverPrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- Place Matzo in a large Bowl and cover with fresh water. Let soak for about 3-5 minutes, until the Matzo is mostly soft.
- Squeeze water from Matzo and discard Water. Place Matzo back into Bowl.
- Beat the Eggs with the Milk and mix into Matzo.
- Select Sauté on the Instant Pot and allow to fully heat. Add Oil and Butter and swirl it around to coat the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides.
- Pour Matzo Brie into Instant Pot or GoWise Pressure Cooker.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Select the Rice Button. When Beep sounds, wait 5 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Run a Spatula along the edges and remove Matzo Brie from cooking pot. Cut or break up Matzo Brie and serve with Maple Syrup or Applesauce and Sour Cream.