Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt is simply a no boil method of making yogurt. No need to first boil the milk. Just add in cold milk and starter and in a few hours, you have thick yogurt. (Please read the disclaimers before starting.)
You asked for it and you got it.
After numerous emails and messages asking for a “Cold Start” Yogurt, I’ve come up with a quick recipe for you.
I first heard about this method from Cuong Nguyen, when he posted his Vietnamese Yogurt recipe in the Instant Pot Community, a couple of years ago. This cold start recipe was started by him and the craze took off like wildflowers. Other people copied his recipe and credited themselves, but, it is all Cuong!
Cuong has made several videos of my recipes and fun to watch, so when he told me about this method, I was intrigued.
Sometimes you are in a hurry and just want some quick and healthy Instant Pot Yogurt for breakfast.
You have told me how much you love my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe but so many of you have written to me, asking if you can skip the “boiling” stage.
I was hesitant because my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe was the first Yogurt recipe to truly crack the Instant Pot Yogurt Making code. My recipe and method is now widely used by most Instant Potters and is the recipe found on many Blogs.
Well, you know how I feel about short cuts, but I succumbed to your wishes. (Please don’t hold me accountable.) This post is just a quick post for a quick method.
The plus side is that this Instant Pot No Boil Yogurt recipe is a perfect recipe to make in the Instant Pot Mini DUO! Directions for using the Instant Pot Ultra are found in the “Notes” section of the recipe card below.
What is Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt?
- Simply put, it’s just skipping the boiling step. The Milk is not first heated/”boiled,” like in my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe.
- This Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt recipe uses Milk that has already been cleaned of unwanted bacteria.
- The Cold Milk and Starter are put into the Instant Pot together.
- Cold Start Yogurt is a one step process in the Instant Pot.
Fairlife Milk is pasteurized at a higher temperature than other milk and for a shorter period of time, so it is safe to use for this recipe.
Using Fairlife, for this recipe, the taste of the Yogurt will be a bit stronger, almost concentrated, than the taste my regular Instant Pot Greek Yogurt.
Using other brands of Ultra Pastaurized Milk, that has not been through the filtration process that Fairlife uses, will work too, and will be taste similar to regular yogurt.
Please make sure that your country doesn’t have rules for making homemade yogurt without the boiling step.
What is Fairlife Milk?
- Fairlife Milk is an ultra-filtered product, which runs through “soft” filters to concentrate the Milk and remove impurities
- There is more natural protein and calcium which comes directly from the Milk.
- Because of the Filtration process, the Milk is higher in protein and calcium.
- There is less sugar and the Milk is Lactose Free!
- Fairlife Milk is not organic, but is ultra-pasteurized.
Other ultra-pasteurized Milk that is ultra-filtered can be used as well and will produce some Whey, which can be strained.
Any yogurt that has only milk and live active cultures, can be used as the Yogurt Starter.
After the first time making this Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt recipe, you will be able to save some Yogurt for future Yogurt Making adventures.
You can also use Starter from my regular Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe.
A nice Ice Cube Tray with Cover, will keep Tablespoons of Fresh Yogurt frozen, without a smell transfer.
Pop out a cube about an hour before you are planning to make Instant Pot No Boil Yogurt.
It will defrost quickly and be ready to mix in with the Fairlife Milk.
What is a Yogurt Starter?
- Fresh Yogurt that is only made with Milk and contains live active cultures.
- Some people like to use an Heirloom culture as their Yogurt Starter. I don’t know much about those, so I can’t speak to that type of Starter.
- Fage and Oikos are both great to use as a Starter.
Your own Frozen Yogurt Cubes will be considered a “Starter” too!
I started with Fage and haven’t purchased any yogurt in two years.
How to Flavor Cold Start Yogurt?
- A can of sweetened condensed milk can be whisked in with the milk and yogurt starter.
- A bottle of True Bliss can also be used to sweeten the yogurt.
After adding the Yogurt “Starter,” take a Whisk and make sure the Starter and any sweetener is mixed in well. This is the way that Cuong prefers his yogurt; the sweet way, which is Vietnamese style!
Choose 7-10 hours. Remember, the Yogurt is NOT under pressure, so a Glass Lid can be used.
For the Instant Pot DUO Plus and Instant Pot Mini DUO:
- Push the Yogurt button until it says “Yogt.”
- Hit the +/- button to choose your time.
- The Yogurt setting should always be on “Normal.”
For the Instant Pot DUO and Instant Pot Smart:
- Push Yogurt and then Adjust.
- The Yogurt setting should always be on “Normal.”
The longer you incubate, the more tart your yogurt will be.
8 or 9 hours seems to be the best times for most people.
8 hours gives a very mild taste with a slight tartness, while incubating for 9 hours, packs quite a punch.
While this is a great method for getting the job done in the least amount of time, I suggest trying out the regular Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe and seeing which method you prefer.
To my palette, Fairlife has a thicker type of taste, rather than a watery, clean like taste, but I presume that is from condensing the Milk, if you will.
I also used this recipe with Filtered, Ultra-pasteurized Milk and it was fantastic. The taste was clean and pure.
My preference is the regular boil, Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe method, but this one is one is pretty darn good too!
DISCLAIMER: This is not an advertisement for Fairlife. This Instant Pot No Boil Yogurt recipe is not to be used with milk that has not been through the ultra-filtration process, like Fairlife which is different than ultra-pasteurized. Regular Milk has some bacteria that needs to be brought up to 180 degrees prior to making Yogurt.
Allow the Yogurt to chill and set up in the refrigerator.
It is so thick, I doubt you will want to strain it.
But if you do, I recommend the Eurocuisine Yogurt Strainer.
This Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt will be very thick and creamy and full of protein and calcium.
These little Weck Tulip Jelly Jars are adorable for serving Yogurt.
- Homemade Granola is always great on Yogurt.
- Instant Pot Mixed Berry Compote is one of my favorite toppings.
- Instant Pot Dutch Apple Yogurt, shares the number one spot with…….
- Agave, Granola and Fresh or Dried Cherries.
There you have it. I did it.
If you make this Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt, let me know, as I am interested in your thoughts.
Will you make it again or go back to my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe?
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO, Ultra, Smart, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk
- Weck Tulip Jelly Jars
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt [No Boil Method]Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 52 ounces Milk Ultra-Filtered & Pasteurized, like Fairlife Milk or Natrel (Canada's version)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Yogurt ("Starter") live cultures
Sweetener Options (Vietnamese Style)
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 bottle Natural Bliss Coffee Creamer
- Optional step: Clean and sterilize your Instant Pot by adding one cup of water, closing the pot and pushing the sterilize, pressure cook or manual button and setting the timer to 1 minute. Carefully release the pressure and dump out the water.
- Place cooking pot into refrigerator to cool off or put a few ice cubes into the pot and then dump out.
- To Make Cold Start Yogurt: Add cold milk and 1 Tablespoon of yogurt starter (any yogurt with active cultures to the Instant Pot.
- Whisk the milk and yogurt together well.
- If sweetening the yogurt, add the sweetened condensed milk or the Natural Bliss now and whisk it in very well.
- Push the Yogurt button and then use the +/- buttons and set time to 8 hours. Make sure the Yogurt setting says "Normal."
- When Yogurt cycle is finished, remove cooking pot and transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight. Transfer Yogurt to containers and enjoy.
Instructions for Using the Instant Pot Ultra
- Turn the dial to the temperature setting
- Push the dial
- Turn the dial to Medium
- Push the dial
- Turn the dial back to the time setting
- Push the dial
- Turn the dial until you have the time you want
- Press start!