Air Fryer Greasy Spoon Home Fried Potatoes deliver all the taste of the potatoes from a Greasy Spoon restaurant, without the fat and calories.
I used my GoWise USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer for this recipe. My husband and I have had a Sunday routine of making a nice breakfast together while drinking lots of coffee and relaxing.
We are so busy during the week and we enjoy pulling out the Lodge Cast Iron Skillets to make a big ole breakfast. Well, sir, since I have had my Air Fryer, I’ve been trying to use it to cut down on oil and fat.
We love, love, love the New York Style Coffee Shop Home Fries, it’s so greasy and delicious, but, that also means extra calories. If you have looked at the New York Style Coffee Shop Home Fries recipe, then you will know that my husband is the one who created that dish and cooks it to perfection. Ummmmmm!
I used his recipe and cooked them in the Air Fryer. While they don’t taste like a super delicious greasy spoon version, they are totally delicious and less work than the New York Style Coffee Shop Home Fries.
Please feel free to join the chat at Facebook Air Fryer Recipe Group, where we share recipes, methods and fun.
We usually have a small tub of bacon grease in the freezer, that we have collected from the rare times that we cook bacon and we like to use it when we cook eggs and Home Fries, but use whichever oil you prefer.
I’m not a smoked paprika fan, but if you are, you may prefer using smoked over non smoked.
The red peppers are optional, so leave them out if you don’t like them in your home fries. Some people use green peppers, or a combination of green, orange and red. It’s your choice; you’re the one eating it, so be creative. 🙂
First thing is to scrub and dice the potatoes. I always leave on the skin; I love the taste when it caramelizes.
Many people prefer naked Home Fries, so if that is you, peel the potatoes and then chop. We prefer smaller diced potatoes, so make the adjustment for your own preference.
For really delicious Air Fryer Greasy Spoon Home Fried Potatoes, make sure to soak the potatoes in water for 30 minutes to remove some starch.
While the potatoes are soaking, dice up the onion and red peppers. As you can see, I like a medium dice, rather than a fine dice so that I can taste the onions and not have them cook away to nothing.
Pull out the Strainer Basket and drain the water.
Towel dry the potatoes and place them into a Large Mixing Bowl.
Add the onions, peppers and the bacon grease (or oil of your choice) and toss well to coat thoroughly. The onions and peppers can be added when the potatoes are almost cooked, if you like.
Adding them now, will only give your potatoes a burned taste. Set aside the Large Mixing Bowl, as you will use it again before washing.
Mix all the seasonings together. Add an extra shake of each seasoning after the teaspoon of seasoning, as it needs a touch more than just a teaspoon. You may be wondering why I did not add the seasoning to the potatoes.
I like to add the seasonings shortly before the home fries are finished cooking, so that they don’t become burned during cooking. This is an extra step, but I like the results.
After the potatoes have been cooking about 25 minutes, remove the basket and dump the potatoes back into your Large Mixing Bowl.
The potatoes should be completely soft and caramelizing at this point. If they are not, put them back into the Air Fryer and add a few more minutes.
Dump in the seasoning and give them a good toss to coat the Home Fries. Dump the Home Fries back into the Air Fryer and cook another five minutes.
Here you have perfectly not greasy, Air Fryer Greasy Spoon Home Fried Potatoes!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- RSVP Stainless Steel Strainer Basket
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Silicone Coated Tongs
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Greasy Spoon NOT! Home Fried Potatoes (Home Fries)Print Pin Rate
- Place scrubbed/diced potatoes into large bowl, cover with water and soak for 20-30 minutes. Mix together all seasonings and set aside. Grease the bottom of your Air Fryer Basket with Coconut Oil.
- Drain potatoes, dry well and place into large mixing bowl. Add Bacon Grease or Oil to your potatoes and mix thoroughly. Dump oiled potatoes into Air Fryer Basket and Drawer/Basket into Air Fryer. Set aside mixing bowl for the onions/peppers.
- Cook potatoes at 370 degrees for 20 minutes, shaking several times during cooking. Dice onions and red peppers and place into mixing bowl and set aside until Air Fryer Beeps.
- When Air Fryer Beeps, transfer potatoes into bowl with onions/peppers and mix through. Add seasonings and mix through. Dump mixture into Air Fryer Basket and place into the Air Fryer.
- Cook at 380 degrees for 5-10 more minutes (shaking a couple of times), or until potatoes are browned and onions are soft.
All Air Fryers cook differently. I find the GoWise Air Fryer cooks more evenly and quicker, so you may need to adjust the time for your model.