Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner is better for your wallet and tastes like it came from the famous blue box, but without the taste of a cardboard box.
I know, I know, but there are so many people who love the boxed stuff and have asked me how to cook it in a Pressure Cooker. Well, here is your chance to make a Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner, on the Stove Top or in a Pressure Cooker, in larger portions, without the Blue box that has been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.
While, this Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner still isn’t as homemade as my Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker Macaroni and Cheese, or my Pressure Cooker Creamy Mexican Macaroni and Cheese, it is still cheaper than using the Blue Box. Plus, you can make a whole pound of macaroni, if you like.
At the very least, you now have the Pressure Cooker method to make a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. So, here we go……………………………………
If you can, get the De Cecco brand of Elbow Macaroni. It holds up much better in a Pressure Cooker and is more forgiving than most of the other brands.
Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac tastes pretty identical to the Kraft Mac & Cheese Dinner, as the ingredients are quite similar; they did a great job with the recreation and recipe! I like the products from this company, as they are always fresh and very tasty. The Hoosier Hill Farm Cheddar Cheese Mix is what I use too.
It is great on popcorn, I mean really great! The tastes of the two options are pretty identical, but the Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac was made to mix into pasta better.
If you don’t want the orange color, try the Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac No Color Added Mix.
If using the Stove Top Method, cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. Mix in the then mix in the Butter and Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac/Milk Mixture (described below) and enjoy!
If you like Hot Dogs with your Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner, add it in to the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, along with the dry pasta and water.
If you want to prevent sticking, add a bit more water and butter and then dump out the excess water after cooking. If you do that, add in more butter when you add in the Milk and Big Daddy Mac.
Taste the Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner and if you feel it is missing something, add in a drop of the Hot Sauce (if you haven’t added it in with the water because you were unsure). See if that gives you the Blue Box taste.
Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Diner, without the cardboard box taste!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO 6 Quart
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- De Cecco brand of Elbow Macaroni
- Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac
- Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Copycat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese DinnerPrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 teaspoon Frank's RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 6 Hot Dogs
- Add pasta, butter and water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.
- Cook at High Pressure for 2 minutes.
- When Beep is heard, carefully do a Quick Release.
- Open lid and stir in the Big Daddy Mac/Milk mixture. Stir until combined.
Stove Top Method
- Cook pasta according to package directions and then drain.
- Add butter and the Big Daddy Mac/Milk mixture. Stir until combined.