This recipe works best with short grain rice. Make sure you rinse the rice well and then toss it into the Pressure Cooker cooking pot to cook while you are preparing the other ingredients.
First, get your marinade together. Peel and mince the ginger. Slice up some raw boneless and skinless chicken thighs and add some Sweet/Black Soy Sauce, a splash of fish sauce, soy sauce and white pepper. Sweet/Black Soy Sauce is similar to molasses. It’s not salty like regular soy sauce. If you don’t have Sweet/Black Soy Sauce, add regular soy sauce and a teaspoon of sugar.
Add fresh water to the Pressure Cooker cooking pot to cover the rice by about two inches and hit the Sauté button. The water will start to boil and break up the rice. Keep an eye on the pot and add more water, if needed. The rice should start to break down in a few minutes.
Once the rice is soft and broken, hit the “Off” button. It’s now time to add the rest of the ingredients.
Dump in the chicken broth, marinated chicken and ginger. Cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes.
After you have removed the lid, throw in the chopped scallions, mix in and serve.
I usually make a double batch of Congee and then freeze in these Reditainers Extreme Freezer Containers, so that I can have the Congee for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The Freezer Labels are great, because they pull right off, without leaving a sticky residue.
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- OXO Good Grips Cutting Board
- Microplane Artisan Fine Cheese Grater
- Reditainer Extreme Freezer Containers
- Freezer Labels
- Ceramic Soup Bowl
- Asian Soup Spoons
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Vietnamese Chicken Congee (Cháo Gà)Print Pin Rate
- 3 rice cups Short Grain Rice
- 2 pounds Chicken Thighs boneless/skinless, sliced
- 4 quarts Chicken Broth or up to the 5 quart line
- 1 6 inch Fresh Ginger Root peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet/Black Soy Sauce or 4 teaspoons soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 2 Tablespoons Premium Fish Sauce
- 4 teaspoons Ground White Pepper
- 4 Scallions sliced
- 2 cups Thai Basil Leaves
- Rinse rice well and toss into Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
- Cover the rice with two inches of water.
- Push the Sauté button and with the lid off, boil for approximately eight minutes, or until rice has broken down.
- Add more water if needed, until the rice breaks down and is soft.
- Once the rice is soft and broken, hit the “Off” button. It’s now time to add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add marinated chicken.
- Lock lid and close Pressure Vavle.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes
- When Beep sounds, allow a 15 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the value and let the remaining steam escape.
- Open the lid and taste. Adjust seasonings according to your taste buds.
- Toss in the chopped scallions.
- Serve and top with Thai Basil.