Less calories than deep fried New York Style Egg Rolls, these Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls are as close as you can get!
Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls
I absolutely love, love, love Egg Rolls. I mean, I LOVE them. Growing up in Miami, we had some of the best Egg Rolls in the Country. They were thick and crispy with a bubbly shell and a chewy inner shell. (Gosh, that almost sounds like my New York Style Pizza Dough recipe.)
In New York and on the East Coast, we call those “Egg Rolls.” The rolls with a thin and flakey shell, we call “Spring Rolls.”
At that time, Miami had a lot of New York transplants, including my parents, so, I can safely say that I do know good and authentic New York Chinese Food, Pizza and other delicacies.
My Grandma on my Father’s side, lived in Brooklyn, New York until I was an adult.
I spent summers at her Bungalow Colony in Monticello, so while it is not the City, I spent plenty of time in and around the City.
Okay, have I convinced you yet, that I know New York food? 🙂 Just teasing with you……..
If you have just made my Pressure Cooker Healthy Inside Out Egg Rolls, you know that it makes a big amount of food.
That recipe is a perfect, filling for these low fat, low calorie Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls.
If you have not yet made the Pressure Cooker Healthy Inside Out Egg Rolls, you could substitute the ground pork for diced pork, if you like. Just make 1/2 of the recipe for this Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls recipe.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, you could always buy one, or you can do the same recipe on your stove top.
With just two people in the house, I love finding ways to turn leftovers into another awesome meal, side dish or appetizer. For instance, check out my Japanese Vegetable Beef Curry Fried Rice. It was stew, the night before.
It is a super quick recipe and perfect for dipping New York Egg Rolls. To make this truly an authentic experience, try some Duck Sauce for dipping.
Make sure you pick up Egg Roll Wrappers, not Spring Roll Wrappers. The Egg Roll Wrappers are in the refrigerated section, usually near the vegetables.
Place the Egg Roll Wrapper in a diamond shape, with one point facing you.
Use a Pastry Brush and lightly brush all the all the edges with a light layer of Egg Wash to help seal the Egg Roll.
This will act as a glue, so that you roll up the Egg Roll, the sides will easily attach and stick to make a secure connection. You don’t want anything dripping out.
This part is really personal. Can we get personal here for a moment? I played around with amounts of filling that I like in an Egg Roll.
A half a cup, which made a huge-O Egg Roll and looked gorgeous, didn’t give me enough Outer to my Inner, you know? It is all about the proportion.
Take a good one-third of a cup of the filling and lightly squeeze to remove the excess liquid, which will compress the filling.
Fold the Point up and over the filling, kind of tucking it under the filling.
Fold in the sides, making sure the corners are not open. You can see in the above photo how far in I folded the sides. It is about an inch on each side.
Tightly, but carefully, roll up the Egg Roll, smushing in the sides, if necessary.
Brush a light coating of Egg Wash inside the Wrapper to seal the Egg Roll.
This method will considerably cut down on sticking issues. Make sure NEVER to use Pam when you season your Air Fryer Basket
Use your hands to coat, if necessary. I do.
Don’t forget to make up a batch of my Sweet ‘N Sour Sauce to go with these Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls.
Serve them as an appetizer with my Pressure Cooker Chinese Take-Out Beef and Broccoli and a side of Pressure Cooker Jasmine Rice, which you can cook in the same pot as the Beef and Broccoli!
For a non authentic Egg Roll flavor, check out my Air Fryer Pub Style Corned Beef Egg Rolls. They come in handy after St. Patrick’s Day!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- One-Half Recipe of Pressure Cooker Healthy Inside Out Egg Rolls
- Simple Sweet ‘N Sour Sauce Recipe
- Fine Life Oil Mister
- Pastry Brush
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer New York Style Egg Rolls
Air Fryer New York Style Egg RollsPrint Pin Rate
- 4 cups Pressure Cooker Healthy Inside Out Egg Rolls recipe
- 12 Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1 Egg
- 1 Oil Mister
- 1 cup Simple Sweet 'N Sour Sauce Recipe (OR)
- 1 cup Hamburger Hamlet Secret Apricot Dipping Sauce
- Prepare Dipping Sauce, so that it has a chance for the flavors to fuse together.
- Crack egg in small bowl and whisk. Lay out one Egg Roll Wrapper with one corner pointing towards you.
- Lightly moisten Wrapper edges with Egg Wash. Grab a good one-third cup of Egg Roll filling and squeeze out extra liquid to compress Filling. Place Filling just slightly below the center of the Wrapper.
- Fold bottom point over filling and tuck under filling. Fold both sides in and make sure they stick to the first flap. Roll up tightly and use Egg Wash to seal the Wrapper. Repeat until all Egg Rolls are complete.
- Place the Egg Rolls into the greased Air Fryer Basket. Generously spray Egg Rolls with Oil.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 10 minutes, turning half way through and shaking basket, if needed.