Chili is a staple in this house. I’ve made it on the stove, in the slow cooker and in the pressure cooker. When I make chili on my stove top, I like to use my Lodge 5 Quart Dutch Oven, as, well, all things taste better in cast iron.
If you want a thicker chili, just simmer until you achieve the desired consistency.
My husband loves his chili over rice and I prefer it in a bowl with a scoop of sour cream. However, I started using Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- OXO Good Grips Cutting Board
- Lodge 5 Quart Dutch Oven
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Dutch Oven Tex-Mex Turkey ChiliPrint Pin Rate
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups Yellow/Brown Onion
- ½ cup large dice sweet red bell pepper
- 1-2 medium jalapeños stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Garlic minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1½ teaspoons Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Grapenuts Nuggets
- 1 28- ounce Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 14- ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can of kidney beans rinsed and drained
- In a medium to large heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeños and sauté for three minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook another minute.
- Add ground turkey, breaking it up with wooden spoon.
- Add Worcestershire and Grape Nuts.
- Cook until the turkey is browned.
- Add tomatoes and beans and stir.
- Reduce to medium low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally or cook on LOW in Slow Cooker for six hours.