Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken is an easy weeknight dinner, bursting with tender, juicy chicken in a sweet tomato salsa . Perfect for busy moms and dads.
Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken will satisfy all chicken cravings, whether you use dark or light meat, bone in or not!
Tender and juicy chicken in a sweet salsa with just a touch of heat makes an easy weeknight meal.
Add some rice or potatoes pot in pot for an easy side dish.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- Chicken – breasts, thighs, whole cut up, boneless/skinless, whichever you prefer!
- Fire Roasted Green Chiles
- Lime and Lemon Juice
- Barbecue Sauce
- Cilantro for topping
If fresh limes and cilantro are not easy to obtain in your area, make sure to keep a bottle of True Lime, Lime Garlic & Cilantro. The True products are made with fresh, crystallized citrus and seasonings and taste just picked.
This is a great Freezer Meal Recipe, as you can easily mix up the sauce and freeze it alone, or with the chicken.
What I find has been convenient is to double the sauce and grab chicken when it is on sale.
I use my FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System and package up portions, whether it be for two people or for four people or more.
Another freezer idea is to use Reditainer Extreme Freezer Containers, as they are inexpensive, but great quality. I sometimes package up leftover for friends in these containers.
What Kind of Tomatoes Are Used for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken?
- This is the beauty of this Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken recipe. It is so versatile.
- Canned whole tomatoes, canned diced or canned crushed are the quickest and easiest to use.
- If you only have whole tomatoes, they just need a quick chopping. The other types of canned tomatoes are cut and ready to use.
- Fresh tomatoes are even fine to use if you like. They would need to be diced. Remember, however, juicy and meaty tomatoes are not always available and canned tomatoes make a good pantry item.
How to Make Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken Low Carb
- Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken is very easy to make low carb and diabetic friendly.
- All that has to be done is to use a sugar free barbecue sauce rather than a sweet barbecue sauce.
- Cauliflower rice would make a wonderful side dish and it can be made pot in pot as well.
Another favorite dump and push start recipes Instant Pot Creamy Baked Ziti. It is a favorite among kids and parents love that it uses homemade ingredients, rather than jar of spaghetti sauce full of sugar.
How to Reheat Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- For chicken recipes, the pot in pot method is preferred.
- Chicken overcooks so easily, so the goal is to make the food warm without actually cooking it directly in the cooking pot.
Turn my Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken into a one pot meal.
Check out my Instant Pot Perfectly Cooked Pot In Pot Rice recipe which can be used for hundreds of pot in pot meals to make a one pot dinner experience!
How To Make Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken with PIP Rice.
- You will only need two accessories.
- A stainless steel long legged trivet and a stainless steel insert pan.
- Glass cooking vessels don’t distribute and cook the rice as fast as stainless steel, so my recommendation is stainless steel.
- When use my Instant Pot Perfectly Cooked Pot In Pot Rice recipe method above a main dish, no additional liquid is needed in the cooking pot itself. The rice and water will be added to the stainless steel insert pan only.
Do I Need to Crisp Skin for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- If you have chosen to use bone in chicken with skin, I suggest using an air fryer or oven to brown the skin.
- For boneless and skinless chicken, it is not necessary to brown the chicken skin. It is perfectly delicious to serve right from the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker to your table!
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- Chop all vegetables the same size.
- If time is of the essence, a tub of salsa can be used instead of all the vegetables!
- For a thick dipping sauce, simmer the sauce for a few minutes after pressure release.
I try to always have a green vegetable with dinner. This pairs well with my Garlic Whipped Potatoes, as the sauce is delicious drizzled over the potatoes.
More East Instant Pot Chicken Recipes to Make
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken (Pressure Cooker Zesty Chicken)
- Instant Pot BBQ Ranch Chicken (Pressure Cooker)
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken Olive Garden
- Pressure Cooker Jalapeno Honey Chicken w/Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rosle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk
- True Lime, Lime, Garlic & Cilantro
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Belemain 4 oz. Porcelain Ramekins
- 1/2 Cookie Sheet
- Reusable Silicone Baking Mat
- Reditainer Extreme Freezer Containers
- Freezer Labels
- Stainless Steel Trivet
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- 2 pounds Chicken Breasts (boneless/skinless)
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce regular or sugar free
- 1 cup Diced Tomatoes (or fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Garlic minced
- 2 oz Fire Roasted Green Chiles diced
- 1 cup Yellow/Brown Onion diced
- 3/4 teaspoon True Lime Garlic Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice + Fresh Cilantro (for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste (or other hot sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Place chicken into cooking pot.
- In a bowl, mix together barbecue sauce and all Fiesta ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Lock on lid and close pressure value. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then carefully release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove chicken to serving dish and select the Sauté/Browning button and simmer about 5 minutes to thicken sauce, if desired. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Side Dishes for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- Instant Pot Salt Potatoes [Syracuse, New York]
- Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans
- Instant Pot Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Spaghetti Squash
Variations for Instant Pot Rojo Fiesta Chicken
- Boneless/skinless dark meat, cook for 5 minutes.
- Bone in chicken breasts - cook for 6 minutes and then transfer chicken to an air fryer at 390 degrees for 3 minutes to brown skin. Or place on cookie sheet and broil in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Bone in chicken thighs/legs - cook for 8 minutes and then transfer chicken to an air fryer at 390 degrees for 3 minutes to brown skin. Or place on cookie sheet and broil in the oven for about 5 minutes.