Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes combines your favorite Instant Pot Drive Thru Tacos and the fan favorite Instant Pot Sloppy Joes recipe. Taco Tuesday just got more fun. Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes are ready in under 30 minutes when you use an Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker!
Deliciously seasoned ground beef, with Instant Pot Frijoles (Refried Beans), enchilada sauce and all the trimmings of a taco, your “Taco Tuesday” just got a face lift.
My Drive Thru Taco recipe was such a hit on my blog, I just knew I had to create an Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes recipe to add to my arsenal of Instant Pot Sloppy Joe recipes.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes.
- Taco Seasoning
- Enchilada Sauce
- Maseca – corn flour
- Tomatoes or Rotel
- Tomato Paste, although for added sweetness, Ketchup can be used instead of tomato paste.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Onions and Peppers – diced small
Can I Use Fresh Tomatoes in Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes?
- Sure, absolutely.
- Both canned tomatoes, Rotel or fresh tomatoes are fine to use for Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes. Rotel will add more zip to the sloppy joes.
- There are many areas where fresh tomatoes are not available and if you are lucky enough to have tomatoes year round, that is excellent.
- It is good to keep cans of diced tomatoes in the pantry, so that you always have ingredients on hand to make Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes any time you like.
Tip: buy a bag of frozen diced onion and peppers, so that you always have all the ingredients on hand.
Can I use Ground Turkey for Instant Taco Pot Sloppy Joes?
- Yes, ground turkey is easily substituted for ground beef for Instant Pot Sloppy Joes. Add a Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce to beef up the flavor.
- Ground chicken, bison, pork, all will work well in this recipe.
- For most recipes calling for ground beef, other chopped meat is generally fine to use. For leaner cuts of meat, you may need to add a little more fat to the recipe. A good extra virgin olive oil should be a staple in the pantry. It can make or break a recipe.
- The enchilada sauce will add lots of flavor to whichever meat you choose.
Can Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes be Frozen?
- Definitely, Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes can be cooked and then frozen for later use.
- If cooking specifically for the freezer, I suggest leaving out the tomatoes and adding them in after the Instant Pot Sloppy Joes have been reheated. This will add a freshness to the meat.
- Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes heat up very nicely in the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and will taste like they were just made. Use the pot in pot method to steam the frozen meat and bring it back to a nice, warm life.
A FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System is recommended for optimal freezing safety.
Why Use Maseca in Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes?
- Maseca is finely ground corn flour and it helps to thicken the sauce. It also adds a very nice flavor to tacos and chili recipes.
- For Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes, the flavor pairs nicely and gives the sloppy joes a bit of a corn flavor, kind of like a taco shell.
- You can also find Maseca in my Instant Pot Chili con Carne recipe to add another layer of flavor and enhance the chili flavor.
Tips for Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes.
- Dice onions and pepper into small pieces.
- Let Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker heat before adding in oil.
- Make sure ground beef is broken up well and mixed in well with the enchilada sauce, to avoid clumps of meat.
- To add a little sweetness, use ketchup, otherwise, use tomato paste.
- For a spicier flavor use Rotel. For less spicy, use diced (canned) tomatoes.
- Lightly butter and toast hamburger or brioche buns.
- Have buns ready and serve Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes right after cheese is added, so that some cheese is melted and some cheese is still cold.
- Have lots of napkins available…and probably a fork.
More Instant Pot Sloppy Joes Recipes to Make.
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Pepperoni Pizza Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Lentil Sloppy Joes
If you have a favorite recipe and want me turn it into a sloppy joes recipe, leave a comment below and I will make sure to respond.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Taco Sloppy JoesPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Yellow Onion diced small
- 1/2 medium Green Pepper seeds removed/diced small
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 10 ounces Enchilada Sauce medium or mild
- 4 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup (or tomato paste)
- 8 ounces Frijoles Refried Beans
- 2 teaspoons Maseca corn flour
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 15 ounces Rotel Diced Tomatoes, Mexican Flavor (or diced tomatoes)
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- Select Saute/Browning and allow Instant Pot to fully heat.
- Add oil, onions and peppers and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and salt and mix into onions and peppers, making sure to break up the beef. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen anything that might have stuck.
- Mix in ketchup, beans and Rotel (or tomatoes).
- Lock on lid and close pressure valve. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Open lid and stir in Maseca. If there is excessive liquid (fattier meat will give off more liquid) simmer to reduce. Stir in shredded cheese and serve on toasted hamburger buns or brioche buns. Top with sour cream and more shredded cheese.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Taco Sloppy Joes.
- Shredded Lettuce or a Green Salad
- Taco Chips
- Instant Pot Rockin' Hot Sauce