You will win a gold medal with my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chili Con Carne recipe. Quickly made in the pressure cooker, it tastes like it simmered all day.
Chili was one of my favorite things to make when I was young. For some reason, I liked to serve it with green beans. I was twelve, there’s no telling why. For years I made my same recipe over and over.
It was just me and my dad growing up, so I had to learn to cook. Luckily, I really enjoyed cooking and loved creating recipes. My dad put himself through college and law school as a short order cook, so I had a great teacher. He taught me all kinds of tricks, about how to combine and layer flavors and how to pull and identify flavors from a dish.
One day, I stumbled upon a recipe that used individual spices, rather than a chili mix and was intrigued. It was so good, that I no longer make my favorite childhood chili. This Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chili Con Carne is not a thick and heavy tomato based chili recipe. It’s has a bit more liquid, so that you can pour it over rice or a potato and watch the juice seep into the rice or potato.
Of course Instant Pot Chili can be simmered a few minutes and become a very thick chili too. The best of both worlds in one Instant Pot Chili recipe.
Can I Use Ground Turkey Instead of Ground Beef?
- Just as you can change up individual spices to your personal palette, other ground meat can be used.
- My Instant Pot Turkey Meatloaf was changed up from my regular meatloaf recipe and for those who prefer to limit red meat, try my Tex-Mex Turkey Chili recipe. It is seriously just as wonderful
The first thing to do is to use the Sauté or Browning button on your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker and allow to completely heat. Allowing a stainless steel pot to heat before adding the fat, helps to make the stainless steel pot non stick.
Cook until the beef is slightly browned, and then drain fat.
Add in the onions, bell pepper and jalapeños and sauté for three minutes.
Add Worcestershire Sauce, tomatoes, water and beans and stir. I do a lot of Asian cooking and use Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce a lot. It adds great flavor, without a fishy taste. It’s not only for Asian cooking. Dry a bit in other recipes and let me know what you think.
Lock the lid and you are ready to cook.
I hope you enjoy this chili as much as my husband and I do! My husband eats his chili with my Pressure Cooker White Rice, some cheddar cheese and a dollop of Instant Pot Greek Yogurt. Don’t forget a green veggie.
More Instant Pot Classic Recipes to Make:
- Sometimes less is more and my Instant Pot Classic Pot Roast is just one of those things. Tender beef is a flavorful braising liquid is great for Sunday night dinner and company.
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese is always a great meal. This can be ready to eat in under 30 minutes without ever turning on the oven or stove.
- The very best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are a favorite among pressure cooker users.
- Remember Foster Farms famous recipe printed on the package of whole chicken? Now you can make Instant Pot Chinese Simmered Chicken right in your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
So, now you have some classic recipes to cook. Have fun cooking and scroll just a bit more to find the full recipe below.
Kitchen Equipment and Esssentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Competition Chili Con CarnePrint Pin Rate
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 cups Yellow/Brown Onion diced
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper diced
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Garlic minced
- 1.5 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1.5 pounds Lean Gound Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 28 ounces Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 12 ounces Fresh Water
- 14 ounces Black beans (canned) rinsed/drained
- 14 ounces Red Kidney Beans rinseddrained
- Push Sauté or Browning button on your pressure cooker and allow to fullt heat.
- Add oil to the cooking pot and swirl to coat bottom.
- Add ground beef, breaking it up well with a wooden spoon and sauté until slighly browned. Drain off any excess fat, if desired.
- Add onions, bell pepper, jalapeños, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté for three minutes.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, fish sauce & cocoa powder (if using), tomatoes, water and beans and stir.
- Lock the lid and close pressure value. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Serve as it or Select Sauté and allow to simmer for a thicker chili.