Italian Gremolata Recipe is garnish of chopped herbs, made from parsley, lemon zest and garlic. It is traditionally used on ossobuco, which is a Milanese braised veal shank.
Italian Gremolata Recipe
What is Gremolata?
Gremolata is just parsley, lemon rind and minced garlic.
It’s got an Italian background and is a traditional accompaniment to the Milanese braised veal shank dish ossobuco alla milanese.
How to Make Italian Gremolata.
I prefer to use to use Eureka Lemons as they have a thick skin and it is easy to get the zest without grating off the pith.
I’m not great at mincing, so I use my Ultimate Chopper all the time.
The one in the photo is an Ultimate Chopper that I bought from TV so many years ago.
I don’t even know if they are still manufactured, but the one I linked too, looks like the same thing.
I put the garlic right into the Ultimate Chopper with the parsley and tada!!!!
Nicely minced parsley and garlic. Zest the lemon into the bowl.
Because I love the taste of lemon, I do squeeze about a teaspoon right into the bowl and mix through with the parsley mixture.
Tips and Tricks.
- Use a Eureka lemon, as Meyer lemons have a bitter skin.
- Make sure not to Zest off the pith (the white stuff under the skin), as that is bitter.
- A sharp Microplane is the quickest way to grate the lemon.
- A Cuisinart Mini Food Chopper is perfect for small jobs.
The Gremolata is terrific atop my Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Risotto.
More Garnishes and Condiments to Try:
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- OXO Good Grips Cutting Board
- Microplane Stainless Steel Zester
- Ultimate Chopper
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Italian Gremolata Recipe
Italian Gremolata RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Eureka Lemon
- 1 clove Garlic grated
- In small bowl, mix together parsley, zest from lemon and grated garlic. Squeeze in a teaspoon of lemon juice, if desired. Combine well and sprinkle on top of risotto.