Make your own Multi-Cooker Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork right at home with very little effort. Tender chunks of Pork simmer away in a Sweet and Sour Sauce, using an Instant Pot GEM, Ninja or other Multi-Cooker.
Multi-Cooker Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork
Make your own Multi-Cooker Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork right at home with very little effort.
Tender chunks of Pork simmer away in a Sweet and Sour Sauce, using an Instant Pot GEM, Ninja or other Multi-Cooker.
I’ve made this recipe using my stove top and then baked in the oven.
So, when I got my new Instant Pot GEM 8-1 Multi-Cooker, I was anxious to give this recipe a go.
I might have been a little to anxious, or maybe just tired, as I totally blew the recipe the first time out.
We have an extra roaster oven, which we bought years ago, which we use for hosting large holiday meals.
That 18 quart roaster worked well on the RV being used as an for baking, cooking and roasting multiple items at once, using the various racks.
But for some reason with the Instant Pot GEM, I must have lost all sense of normal thinking.
My first attempt at this dish wasn’t pretty and the sauce burned.
Had I been in my right mind, I would have used the cooking rack and everything would have been great.
But noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I cooked it all in the inner pot (which is like cooking it on the stove), which would have been fine, had I been in the right mind.
After a good nights sleep, everything made sense, once again and I am in super love with this unit.
So, here we go once again. Second time, major success and yum!
I used boneless Country Pork Ribs, cause that is what we had in the house!.
Whatever part of the Pork Shoulder you want will work.
There is a lot of fat, so cut off as much as possible.
What are the Ingredients in Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork?
Massage the dry seasonings into the Pork.
Sweet and Sour Sauce is easily customizable, as for a more Sour flavor add a bit more of the vinegar.
If you like a very sweet flavor, add more Sugar.
Grab that Whisk too if you can. It’s my fav and I use it 95% of the time when cooking.
Make sure to get a nice and smooth Sauce.
The minced garlic will be added into the Instant Pot GEM right before the Sauce and will add some nice flavor.
If you have ever made my Pressure Cooker Chinese Take out Sweet ‘N Sour Chicken, you will notice that this is basically the same recipe, but with Pork.
So, if you prefer Chicken, go for it.
The Potato Starch is great for a first coating, so that the Pork is not thick with breading, but is breaded.
Totally cover the Pork with the Starch.
If you prefer a three station Breading Station, that would be ideal.
It is what I usually do, but for purposes of writing up this post and limited room, this was easier for me to photograph.
Mixing the eggs into the Pork, actually worked out really well and make things so much easier.
Once the Instant Pot GEM 8-1 Multi-Cooker is hot, add the Oil.
Peanut Oil is super yummy for this recipe.
After you have dredged the Pork through the Flour mixture, add it to the hot oil.
To get a nice coating which will stick, don’t touch the meat for at least 30 seconds.
Let the Pork sit and fry.
The base acts as the burner/flame and the inner pot/cooking pot as a skillet/fry pan.
My Multi-Cooker Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork recipe was made to be cooked in the Instant Pot GEM 8-1 Multi-Cooker. No extra dishes!
When “baking” this recipe in the inner pot, you will need a very low heat.
Again, this of this as stove top cooking and you just want the Sauce to Simmer.
What are the Ingredients in Chinese Sweet and Sour Sauce?
The top part of the Pork chunks won’t be immersed in the Sauce, which is fine, as it will crisp up more.
At this point, if you like, you can remove the Pork and place it in a casserole dish and then pour the Sauce over the Pork.
Use the Instant Pot GEM or other brand Multi-Cooker as an oven and insert the Rack (included) and place the pan of Pork right on top.
Cook some rice underneath, or use your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and make some of my Pressure Cooker Fried Rice. (I salvaged some of the Pork from the burned first batch, removed the breading and added it the Fried Rice.)
The Stew Setting is best for Simmering and using the base of the inner pot as a stove top.
Things like my Tex-Mex Turkey or Beef Chili, Soup, Lasagna, all can be made right into the base.
The Chicken Soup and Matzo Balls recipe are both in my new cookbook, This Old Gal’s Pressure Cooker Cookbook.
While you are waiting for your Multi-Cooker Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork to cook, here are some good side dishes:
As I love cooking, the old fashion way, using my oven and stove top, I will be posting more recipes using the Instant Pot GEM.
Enjoy. I hope you will let me know what you think of this recipe and how you are enjoying your Multi-Cooker, whatever brand you own.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot GEM 8-1 Multi-Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- Stainless Steel Tall/Short Trivet & Egg Cooker Set
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot GEM Sweet and Sour Pork
Multi-Cooker Sweet and Sour PorkPrint Pin Rate
- 2 pounds Boneless Country Pork Ribs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch (more if needed)
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour (more if needed)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic minced well
- 1 small Onion cut into chunks
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Pineapple Chunks (with liquid)
- Select Sear/Sauté on Multi-Cooker and allow to heat while preparing the ingredients.
- Cut Pork into chunks and place into medium mixing bowl. Add salt, pepper, Chinese Five Spice and Potato Starch and mix to coat.
- Beat Eggs and pour over Pork and coat.
- Place Flour in a large mixing Bowl, add Pork and coat well with Flour.
- Add Oil to cooking pot and carefully add Pork to cooking pot, first shaking off excess Flour.
- Let sit for 30 seconds and then turn to the next side. Brown Pork on all sides, letting it sit at each turn to develop a crust. Once all sides are browned, add the Garlic and Onions to the pot and mix through.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together and pour over Pork. Select Cancel.
- Select Stew (195 F) and set time to 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove cover and mix Pork with Sauce. Add Peppers and Pineapple and continue cooking.
Pin it – Instant Pot GEM Sweet and Sour Pork