Pressure Cooker Simple Sweet Acorn Squash is a versatile & healthy winter vegetable that can be sweetened or stuffed with meat and rice.
Acorn Squash was a staple in my house growing up. It is a less starchy vegetable and better for you than most of the other types of Winter Squash. While I love Butternut Squash, it is more caloric than Acorn Squash, because of the starch and calories wise, is more like a potato. I love potatoes and I love Butternut Squash. But, let’s see if you will love Acorn Squash too!
Acorn Squash, on the other hand, is not a starch squash and fits more into the vegetable category, the real vegetable category. It is a lower calorie starch. That being said, adding some sweetness to the Acorn Squash, makes it really tasty, while getting in good vegetable nutrients.
Unless I am having some time of Yam/Sweet Potato Casserole, I don’t want super sweet vegetables. This recipe is super easy and only takes a few minutes in your Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker. I have been eating Acorn Squash this way since I can remember.
Vegans, use a little coconut oil!
Please make sure that your Knife has been sharpened as cutting through an Acorn Squash takes a little muscle. Once the squash is cut in half, use a spoon and clean out the seeds and the furry stuff. 🙂
You don’t ‘really’ need to do this, I just like the butter to seep into the flesh. It makes it extra yummy.
I’m all fancy pants sometimes with my seasonings and spices, but for this recipe, I like it really simple. Sure, dust on a little nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice if you like, or keep it simple, like me.
Always add water to your Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker cooking pot! Place the trivet and then add your lovely Acorn Squash. If you need to cook more than one Acorn Squash, you can certainly wait and add the butter and seasonings after the squash is cooked. Just shove in as many as you can fit.
I prefer a firm squash. Some people like it all mushy and if you do, add a little more time than I suggest below.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Simply Gourmet (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Stainless Steel Trivet
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Simple Sweet Acorn SquashPrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 Acorn Squash cut half and cleaned
- Cut and clean Acorn Squash.
- Mix together seasonings and then divide amongst both halves.
- Add one cup of water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot and place Trivet. Carefully place Acorn Squash on top of Trivet.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve.
- Cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure
- Dust with Nutmeg, if desired,