Pressure Cooker Authentic Italian Ricotta Cheesecake is a lighter alternative to a standard New York Cheesecake.
Years ago, I was dating an Italian fellow from New York. We took a trip to Long Island and I met his family, including his Great Grandmother.
Jews and Italians get along well; we love to cook and feed everyone, so she was happy to give me her recipe for this amazing Cheesecake.
Unlike regular Cream Cheesecake, Pressure Cooker Authentic Italian Ricotta Cheesecake is very light and ‘fluffy.’ It’s also about 50% less calories than a regular New York Cheesecake. That being said, you might enjoy my Cookies ‘N Creme Cheesecake, Meyer Lemon Cheesecake, Blackberry Cheesecake or New York Style Vanilla Bean Cheesecake.
Also delicious, is my Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake.
Some people like to make individual size cheesecakes using Mason Jars. If you would like to do that for this Pressure Cooker Authentic Italian Ricotta Cheesecake, you will only need six Kerr Half Pint (8 oz) Mason Jars or 12 Ball 4 oz Mason Jars.
They can be made with or without crust. Just divide the crust (if using), filling and topping equally between each jar.
Weigh the ricotta cheese and the sugar. I made this cake with 1.5 pounds of cheese, but some people prefer less cheese, so the recipe is written for one pound of ricotta cheese.
I love this Baker’s Math Kitchen Scale so that I only have to dirty a bowl and not use measuring cups or spoons.
Separate out the egg yolks and the egg whites, as you will whip up the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the sugar, lemon and orange zest to the bowl and whip it together until smooth. Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing after each yolk.
Mix it all nice and creamy. Then in a separate bowl, mix the eggs whites until soft peaks form.
Carefully fold the egg whites and cream into the cheese mixture.
Pan size is totally your choice.
Pour the batter into the pan. I used a 6 inch Fat Daddio’s Push Pan for this cake as I prefer a taller cake.
Cover the pan with a paper towel and then a piece of foil.
Expect the cheesecake to fall about an inch.Let the cheesecake cool for an hour and then place in the refrigerator overnight.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO 6 Quart
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Simply Gourmet (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Porcelain & Bamboo Salt Box with Spoon
- Stainless Steel Trivet
- Grafiti Bands Cross Style
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Authentic Italian Ricotta CheesecakePrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- Unsalted Butter for greasing cake pan
Crust - Optional
- Grease cheesecake pan and dust with Graham Cracker Crumbs.
- In a strand mixer fit with the paddle, beat the cheese, sugar, egg yolks, cream, flour, lemon and orange zest, vanilla and liqueur on medium speed until very smooth, about 4 minutes.
- In another bowl, using a mixer, whip until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture into butter pan and level.
- Cover with a paper towel and secure with a piece of foil.
- Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and secure it around the sides.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of your pressure cooker and then place a trivet inside the pot.
- Place cheesecake into pressure cooker using a sling.
- Lock pressure cooker cover into place. Set the pressure to high for 40 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural release.
- After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and gently remove the pan. Remove the foil and paper towel and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
- Let cool on wire rack for one hour.
- Remove cheesecake from pan, lightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
8 oz Glass Jar - cook 7 minutes
4 oz Glass Jar - cook 4 minutes
16 oz Glass Jars - DON'T DO IT!
15 minute Natural Pressure Release