Dry eggs and I don’t get along. Scrambled eggs are not tops on my list. I love my eggs Sunny Side Up. The problem with drippy eggs in a burrito, is that, well, they drip. I came up with a method for breakfast burritos without the drippy mess, but with a soft yolk.
Use just a schmear of cream cheese along one half of your burrito. I like the whole wheat/whole grain kind.
Heat your Cast Iron Skillet and then drop in a tablespoon of butter, olive oil, bacon grease, shortening, whatever you normally use to grease your skillet. Chop up the meat of your choosing. I used ham, but you could use ground leftover turkey, chicken, bacon, turkey sausage. The possibilities are endless. You could also skip the meat.
Using a spatula (I love my Lamson Sharp Chef’s Slotted Turner, but it was discontinued, the Wusthof Gourmet Offset Slotted Spatula is a great choice) or wood spatula, mix around the meat, so that it warms.
Crack the eggs over the ham and allow the whites to cook.
Use your spatula to scramble just the whites.
When the whites are cooked, use a medium course grater, and grate in some cheese.
And then grate some more. 🙂
Turn off the burner and break the yolks with your wooden spatula and mix in the cheese. The heat of the cast iron skillet will melt the cheese and cook the yolks enough so that they are not raw, and won’t drip out of your burrito, but loose enough for those who like soft yolks.
Add in a little more cheese.
Scoop the eggs over the cream cheese schmear (I’m Jewish and I like saying that word).
Roll up the burrito by first folding in the ends and then rolling up.
Take a bite and say ummmmmmm!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease or other fat
- Ham chopped (or other meat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tortilla
- 1 Schmear of Cream Cheese Optional
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese or other cheese
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the fat.
- Toss in the ham and lightly brown.
- Smear cream cheese on tortilla.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and scramble just the whites.
- Grate in the cheese.
- Turn off burner and crack the yolks.
- Mix together to achieve desired yolk preference.
- Add mixture on top of cream cheese.
- Roll up.