Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole with optional Crispy Bacon Topping, is made with fresh ingredients and will brighten up your Holiday table.
Do you loathe Green Bean Casseroles? I do.
Canned green beans and a can of cream of mushroom soup and then oily fried onions on top? Yuk, turns my stomach. I like fresh ingredients!
I remember the first time I ever tasted a Green Bean Casserole and thought it was horrible. Between the Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup and the canned, greasy crispy onion pieces, yuk.
To those who like it, sorry if I offended you. . . . I just can’t do that canned stuff.
Perfect for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter and everyday, this recipe is simple to make.
My preference for mushrooms are the Cremini Mushrooms, also called Baby Bella’s, which are just baby Portobello mushrooms.
If you like the plain White Button mushrooms, go for it. I like the flavor of the Cremini best in this dish.
You can easily make this vegetarian by using Vegetable Broth, instead of Chicken Broth/Bone Broth, if you like.
As the title says, the Bacon is optional. If you don’t want to use Bacon, when you make your Crispy Bacon Garlic Breadcrumb Topping, don’t add bacon to the Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
Instead, add the onions for a Crispy Onion Garlic Breadcrumb Topping for the Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole.
Canned fried onions are so oily and taste rancid. The homemade crispy onions for the topping are so much better.
Rough chop the mushrooms. Either slice them or chop them. Do whatever you prefer. I like to rough chop them. Remove the tips of your string beans. Dice up the onions.
If you are making the Crispy Bacon Garlic Breadcrumb Topping without the Bacon, set the onions aside.
We will crisp up the onions when we make the Crispy Bacon Garlic Breadcrumb Topping instead of the Bacon, so that you will have a crunch on top.
That is just an option. You certainly can follow this recipe and just make the topping without the Bacon.
Whisk together the cream and the seasonings and set it in the refrigerator for now.
Jump to Section
Low Carb/Keto Option
- Use coconut flour in place of potato starch.
- For the topping, replace bread crumbs with crushed pork rinds.
Now that your chopping and soup making is out of the way, let’s begin to cook.
It is always important to heat a stainless steel pot completely before adding in any type of fat or oil. This will make the pot naturally non-stick.
So, using the Sauté or Browning button on your Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker, allow it to fully heat. Add a swirl of Coconut Oil, Homemade Ghee or Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any oil that does well with higher heat) and then add the butter. This way, we will get the flavor of the butter, without worrying about it burning.
Begin to sauté onions. They will start to become opaque and the pot will start to become dry.
Add in about a quarter cup of vegetable or chicken broth (or water) and continue sautéing the onions.
Once the onions are soft, add the mushrooms.
Sauté the Mushrooms until they are cooked. Mushrooms cook very quickly, yet they are very forgiving and it is hard to over cook a Shroom.
When the Mushrooms and Onions are nicely cooked, add in the green beans.
Make sure to trim the ends of the beans.
Green beans can be added whole or chopped.
My Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Mixture is an excellent addition to this recipe and gives the Green Bean Casserole, a homemade tastes.
Your guests will love this recipe.
Mix the Soup Mixture into the vegetables and you are ready to cook.
It is just a short cook, which is why we cooked the onions a bit more than usual.
This will thicken up quickly during a Simmer. If you need to make a slurry for a thicker broth, it’s easy.
Take a measuring cup and dip it in the pot and remove some liquid. Add in the Potato Starch to the cup of liquid. Whisk the starch completely into the liquid until it is very smooth and without any lumps. Now you have your slurry.
Pour the Slurry into the Fresh Green Bean Casserole and Whisk it in well
If you want a thicker liquid, hit the Sauté or Browning button and simmer, until desired thickness. Keep a close eye on this, as it will thicken quickly.
You can make this Fresh Green Bean Casserole a head and then warm and add the Crispy Garlic Breadcrumb Topping right before serving.
More Instant Pot Vegetable Recipes to Love.
- Instant Pot Sweet Acorn Squash
- Instant Pot Eggplant Stew
- Instant Pot Potato Carrot Mash
- Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Porcelain & Bamboo Salt Box with Spoon
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Potato Starch
- Crispy Bacon Garlic Breadcrumb Topping
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- Trim the green beans and slice or chop the mushrooms and onions.
- Mix together soup ingredients and set aside.
- Select Sauté/Browning on your Pressure Cooker cooking pot and allow to fully heat.
- Add oil and butter to the cooking pot. Add onions and mushrooms and sauté for four minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- Whisk in the soup mix and string beans.
- Lock on lid and close pressure valve. Cook at high pressure for 1 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 5 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Simmer to thicken liquid, if necessary.
- Place into a serving/casserole dish and sprinkle Crispy Bacon Garlic Breadcrumb Topping on top.