Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Pasta with Spinach and Bacon is savory, but slightly sweet with complex levels of flavor sure to please.
Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Pasta
Jessica said that is was so “soooooooooo good” and she was right.
I made a couple of tiny tweaks and I hope you will enjoy this pasta dish. It really is sooooooo good; I was floored.
It was way better than I had even imagined! Quality of ingredients matters much of the time, but not always. For pasta, I only use DeCecco Brand. Not only is the taste great, but it holds up much better in a Pressure Cooker.
For this recipe I used DeCecco Penne.
If you don’t have any left over bacon, use the Sauté or Browning button on your Pressure Cooker and allow to heat.
Add bacon to the Pressure Cooker cooking pot and sauté until bacon is crisp. Remove and drain bacon from cooking pot and reserve grease.
Add some olive oil and onions and sauté until onions are translucent. Then add garlic and sauté.
Mix in the fresh spinach to the cooking pot. Don’t forget to grate some fresh Parmesan or Asiago cheese on top!
For another delicious pasta meal, try my Pressure Cooker Beef and Macaroni.
For another butternut squash dish, check out my Pressure Cooker Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Gremolata.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO 6 Quart
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Porcelain & Bamboo Salt Box with Spoon
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board
- Microplane Artisan Ribbon Grater
- DeCecco Penne
- Pressure Cooker Homemade Chicken Broth
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 6 slices Bacon chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Yellow/Brown Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Salted Butter optional
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease optional
- 1/2 pound Butternut Squash cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound Penne Pasta
- 3.5 cups Chicken Broth or 3.5 cups of water with 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon, Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach rough chopped
- 1/2 cup Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese freshly shredded
- Select Sauté or Browning button on your Pressure Cooker and allow to fully heat.
- Add bacon to the cooking pot and sauté until bacon is crisp. Remove, all but 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease from cooking pot.
- Add olive oil, squash and onions to cooking pot and sauté, five minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Pour in broth and deglaze cooking pot, making sure to scrap up anything stuck to the bottom.
- Add bacon, pasta, butter, salt and pepper.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Value. Cook at High Pressure for 2 minutes. When Beep sounds, wait 5 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure
- Mix in the fresh spinach to the cooking pot.
- Serve and garnish with Parmesan or Asiago cheese.
Butter and bacon grease are optional, but taste wonderful in this dish.