Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Pasta with Spinach and Bacon is savory, but slightly sweet with complex levels of flavor sure to please.
Jessica, from the Instant Pot Facebook group, created this recipe for the Pressure Cooker and since I love butternut squash, I just had to try it for myself. Jessica said that is was so “soooooooooo good” and she was right.
I made a couple of tiny tweaks and I hope you will enjoy this pasta dish. It really is sooooooo good; I was floored. It was way better than I had even imagined! Quality of ingredients matters much of the time, but not always. For pasta, I only use DeCecco Brand. Not only is the taste great, but it holds up much better in a Pressure Cooker . For this recipe I used DeCecco Penne.
If you don’t have any left over bacon, use the Sauté or Browning button on your Pressure Cooker and allow to heat.
Add bacon to the Pressure Cooker cooking pot and sauté until bacon is crisp. Remove and drain bacon from cooking pot and reserve grease.
Add some olive oil and onions and sauté until onions are translucent. Then add garlic and sauté.
Mix in the fresh spinach to the cooking pot. Don’t forget to grate some fresh Parmesan or Asiago cheese on top!
For another delicious pasta meal, try my Pressure Cooker Beef and Macaroni. For another butternut squash dish, check out my Pressure Cooker Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Gremolata.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- Microplane Artisan Ribbon Grater
- DeCecco Penne
- Pressure Cooker Homemade Chicken Broth
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 6 slices Bacon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon grease (optional)
- ½ Medium Butternut Squash, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound Penne Pasta
- 3.5 cups Homemade Bone Broth (or 3.5 cups of water with 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon, Chicken)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach, rough chopped
- Parmesan or Asiago cheese, freshly grated
- Use the Sauté or Browning button on your Pressure Cooker and allow to heat.
- Add bacon to the cooking pot and sauté until bacon is crisp. Remove and drain bacon from cooking pot and reserve grease.
- Add olive oil and onions to cooking pot and sauté until onions are are translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add squash, bacon, bacon grease, pasta, broth, butter, salt and pepper.
- Lock lid and close Pressure Value.
- Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, do a quick release and wait for the pressure to release.
- Mix in the fresh spinach to the cooking pot.
- Serve and garnish with Parmesan or Asiago cheese.
Butter and bacon grease are optional, but taste wonderful in this dish.