Instant Pot Rice Pudding w/cinnamon and raisins is so smooth and creamy to make in the pressure cooker. A perfect dessert in about 15 minutes.
One of my husband’s favorite desserts is rice pudding. He loves it with cinnamon and raisins, so, that is how I make it for him.
It is so easy to make in the Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker, you won’t believe it. As it is one of Ed’s favorite desserts, we’vve gotten a bit carried away with making rice pudding in various flavors. It’s just kind of fun to make, really.
There are not many ingredients and can have this ready in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Arborio rice
- Florida Crystals Demerara Sugar -it’s especially good in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding as it helps to give the rice pudding a more intense flavor, rather than a cloyingly sweet flavor.
- Eggs andMilk
- Sugar and Salt
- Fresh Cinnamon Sticks or ground cinnamon can be used, although it can be left out or the rice pudding.
- Raisins, if you like.
Best Rice for Rice Pudding?
- Arborio rice has a high starch content and makes a very creamy rice pudding.
- If you do not have Arborio rice, just use short grain or in a pinch, long grain.
- If using a rice other than Arborio, you may need to add a bit extra milk an extra minute of cooking to make it as creamy as arborio.
The Demerara Sugar will give the rice pudding a bit of a creamy color, rather than stark white.
How to Make Instant Pot Rice Pudding.
- Rice, sugar and water are first cooked in the Instant Pot.
- Fresh eggs and milk are whisked together and slowly combined with the cooked rice.
Don’t dirty another cup. Since most of the milk was used in the last step, just crack the eggs right into the measuring cup with the milk. Add the vanilla and whisk together well. You won’t believe how easy this is to make.
Best Milk for Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Whole milk or heavy cream will make a very rich rice pudding.
- Low fat milk and skin milk can be used.
Can I Make Instant Pot Rice Pudding Dairy Free?
- Yes, no problem. Soy milk is nice to use.
- Full fat canned coconut milk makes a very creamy Instant Pot Rice Pudding.
Do I Eat Rice Pudding Hot or Cold?
- Either way is fine. Hot or chilled, it is all up to you!
Experiment with other flavors and try my Pressure Cooker Creamy Coconut Rice Pudding. It is loaded with several coconut flavors. My Piña Colada Rice Pudding is a bit naughty, as the pineapple is soaked in rum. You will feel like you are on vacation in the tropics.
Will Rice Pudding Thicken?
Yes. As the rice pudding cools, the rice will swell as it continues to absorb the liquid and will become quite thick. The pudding will thicken as it cools, so don’t be alarmed at the consistency.
If you prefer a thinner rice pudding, just mix in a little milk to get it to the consistency you prefer.
Can Other Fruit Be Added?
Raisins are the most common fruit to add to rice pudding.
Any kind of dried fruit would be fabulous in rice pudding too!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Rice PuddingPrint Pin Rate
- In your Pressure Cooker cooking pot, combine water, rice, cinnamon stick and salt.
- Lock the lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes. When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release and then do a Quick Release to remove any remaining pressure.
- Open lid and add 2 cups of the milk and the sugar to pressure cooking pot and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and vanilla into the measuring cup with the remaining milk and whisk well to combine.
- Slowly pour into Pressure Cooker cooking pot, stirring as you go.
- Select the Sauté or Browning function and allow pudding to come to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Continue to whisk for one minute only.
- Remove cooking pot from Pressure Cooker, add raisins and mix together.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired.
If you prefer a firmer texture, cook for just 3 minutes. Arborio rice is higher in starch than other rice varieties. You can use another short grain rice if you like, but you get the creamiest consistency with Arborio. If using Basmati or jasmine rice, reduce water to one cup. Heavy cream, half & half and skin milk will work. The higher the fat, the creamier and richer the pudding.