Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef with my fool proof method cooks in the Pressure Cooker to yield rare, tender and juicy, deli style slices for sandwiches. Naturally Low Carb, Keto, Whole 30, Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Paleo.Yes, folks, it can be done in an Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
Look how the Roast is pink, end to end!! This very Rare Roast Beef is perfect for sandwiches, salads and snacks. No need to ever buy pre-sliced Roast Beef from the Delicatessen ever again, right? Here’s what happened. Many people in my This Old Gal Facebook Group, have asked me to test out cooking a Roast Prime Rib in the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
I have a fool proof method on how to cook a Perfect Roast Prime Rib using the Oven. My method for cooking a Perfect Roast Prime Rib outside on the Grill is pretty fabulous too. So, I started thinking.
Can Eye of Round be Cooked in an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker?
- Yes it can! Not wanting to ruin my favorite cut of Beef ever, I decided to start out with an Eye of Round Roast, which is a cheaper cut and great when cut thin, for Roast Beef Sandwiches.
- Very Rare Roast Beef Sandwiches are my thing, but buying Roast Beef from the Deli, is rather pricey and I only like very Rare Roast Beef!
- Start with an Eye of Round, top or bottom. All the cuts work! The shape is nice and you get an even ‘doneness’ throughout.
For someone like me who only likes rare beef, this is perfect; I won’t eat well done meat. If you do like well done meat, the Eye of Round is also perfect, for the same reason.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef
- Eye of Round or Bottom Round
- Beef Broth
- Shaoxing Wine
- Kosher Salt – will help to break down proteins, which in turn will ensure a very juice piece of meat.
- My Olive Oil Seasoned Rub – see recipe card below
- Fresh Garlic
- Bay Leaf
- Three Crabs Fish Sauce or Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Plastic Wrap – for wrapping the meat.
Dry Red Wine or Shaoxing Wine – This Chinese cooking liquid is far superior to any “cooking wine.” Cooking wine is never recommended. Shaoxing seems to work in the same manner as dry red wine and gives just as delicious flavor profile. Plus, it is much less expensive.
As the salted and wrapped prepared beef roast should sit in the refrigerator overnight, this is a great prep ahead recipe. It won’t taste salty after cooking; I promise. The salt is used to tenderize the roast.
Olive Oil Rub
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- Ground Mustard
- TOG House Seasoning
- Beef Base – optional
As always, these ingredients are just a suggestion and a flavor combo that I personally enjoy. Be creative and use whatever you normally like to use on a Roast. The purpose of this Recipe Post is to show you the very best method of cooking Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef deli style in your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
Whisk together the Olive Oil Rub.
Once unwrapped, your tenderized piece of beef is ready for the Olive Oil Seasoned Rub.
I like a Black Pepper Crust, so if you like Black Pepper, add more to the Olive Oil Seasoned Rub.
Before Searing your Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef, make sure to fully heat your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
Start with the Fat Cap side into a very hot cooking pot.
It is important to not over sear your beef!
For multicookers like the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker the Saute or Browning button is used for browning and searing. For stand along Pressure Cookers or the Power Pressure Cooker XL, which do not have a saute or browning button, a preset button can be used in the same manner.
OXO Stainless Steel Tongs are great to use as a second pair of hands, but I’ve been finding it easier to just use my hands as the beef is rather slippery.
It is important not to over sear or brown the meat. The recipe card below has the full instructions.
The liquid which is added to the cooking pot infuses wonderful flavor into the meat.
More Flavor Profiles and Infusions
- Try using Country Bob’s Marinade all over the meat. The meat can be marinated overnight and then prepared in the same manner. It is truly delicious and highly recommended.
- Montreal Steak Seasoning is killer to use on an Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef as well. Whichever flavor profile you choose, make sure to mix it with some Olive Oil for your custom Olive Oil Seasoned Rub. That being said, I hope you do try this recipe using my suggested ingredients. It really is fabulous.
Please note: the directions and ingredients to this recipe have changed a bit from the original, so some photos will not match up exactly. For instance, I used mostly White Wine, added whole Garlic Cloves and a Bay Leaf prior to placing the Trivet.
It is best to use a Stainless Steel Short Legged Trivet, so that the liquid in the bottom will easily come in contact with the Eye of Round, while cooking. If you do not have the one that came with your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker, I suggest this Stainless Steel Trivet Set.
The garlic is best infused into the meat from the cooking liquid, as opposed to on top.
If you have a second Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, you might want to make a batch of my Instant Pot Potato Salad, to go along with this Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef.
The Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef cooks slow and low.
To Get the Best Temperature
- Once the meat is removed from the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker, it will continue to cook.
- Pressure Cooker Roast Beef should be removed when it is about 5-10 degrees less than your desired preference.
You can see in the photo that we love very rare meat. In the recipe card below, you will find options to rare, medium rare and rare options. Remember, the Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef will continue to cook, after it has been removed from the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
Before slicing the roast, cover it and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. The juices will redistribute throughout the Beef.
To get the best deli slices, use a Chef’s Choice Food Slicer. You will be able to cut the Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef into paper thin slices!!! Below is a photo and here is the link to get the Slicer.
Plus, since I make Homemade Hokkaido Sandwich Bread, every few weeks, we can use it to slice the bread too! In addition, for those of you who make my Instant Pot Yogurt Whey Dutch Oven Crusty Bread, the Chef’s Choice Food Slicer will slice your bread perfectly!
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes to Make:
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
- Pressure Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Classic Pot Roast
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels 8 inch Classic Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Stainless Steel Tall/Short Trivet & Egg Cooker Set
- Chef’s Choice Food Slicer 615A
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- Coat the Eye of Round with Kosher Salt and seal in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.
- Whisk together Rub ingredients of your choice. Remove Beef from plastic wrap and massage into Beef.
- Select Saute/Browning on Pressure cooker and allow to fully heat.
- Place Beef into cooking pot fat cap side down and sear for 20 seconds. Turn and sear each side for NOT MORE THAN 5 seconds and remove Roast to a plate.
- Pour dry sherry or shaoxing wine into cooking pot. Add beef base, fish sauce, water, garlic, cloves and Bay leaf.
- Place short legged Trivet into cooking pot and place Roast on top.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at Low Pressure (most machines default to high pressure) for 4 minutes.*
- When Beep sounds, wait 35 minutes (pot should remain on Keep Warm). Quickly remove and check temperature.
- If Roast is not at 115-120 degrees (rare), replace Lid and let set for another 8 minutes until desired temperature is reached. For Medium Rare, temperature should be 125 degrees.
- Remove Roast from cooking pot and cover with foil for at 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- For optimal results, place in refrigerator overnight before slicing. Slice paper thin and use for sandwiches.
- 115 degrees for rare
- 125 for medium rare
- 130 for medium
*Instant Pot LUX Models and Models without a Low Pressure OptionSet pressure cook time for 2 minutes High Pressure. All other instructions are the same.
- 1/2 cup Country Bob's Marinade
- 2-3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing Wine
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 cloves Garlic, smashed
- If you cut the Roast Beef right away, much of the juice will pour right out. Make sure to use a very good quality Chef's Knife that is very sharp. We sharpen our Henckels Knives with this J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 9-Inch Honing Steel.
- Serve it on my incredible soft and delicious Hokkaido Milk Sandwich Loaf or my Country Artisan Sourdough Bread, both of which are Sourdough and many people who feel they are Gluten Intolerant can digest without issue.
- If you have some Whey leftover from my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Recipe, use it to make some Instant Pot Yogurt Whey Dutch Oven Crusty Bread. Toss in some Dried Rosemary and Sun Dried Tomatoes for a very flavorful Loaf of Bread. Hint, you can just use Fresh Water for that recipe too.