Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff with strips of braised Beef Sirloin and Cremini Mushrooms is cooked in a creamy rich Sherry Wine, Butter, Garlic Sauce. Gluten Free and Low Carb too!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish that traveled into many cultures around the World.
From Russia to China and then the United States.
Hong Kong, the UK, Australia, Brazil, all have a variation of Beef Stroganoff.
It is such a popular dish and the reason I converted my stove top recipe for Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker.
Whether you use Beef Sirloin, Top Round, Chuck Roast, you will end up with a delicious Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff.
Cubes of Beef are the authentic way to cut the Beef.
Strips, slices, cubes, cut them any way YOU like. I do it differently depending on the cut of meat I use.
The tougher the meat, the thinner they need to be sliced.
It’s actually my secret ingredient for my Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings recipe.
I’m betting that if you are here reading about this recipe, you will want to see my Pressure Cooker Salisbury Steak w/Onion Mushroom Gravy recipe.
Cremini and Wild Mushrooms are always my choice over Button Mushrooms.
The color is nicer, the taste is earthy, juicy and delicious.
Cremini Mushrooms are often called Baby Bellas, or little Portobello Mushrooms.
They hold up well in Instant Pots and Pressure Cookers, so cut them how you like; think or thin.
Make sure to always start with a very hot pot.
Your stainless steel pot will be easier to use and food won’t stick horribly.
The oil always should be added to a very hot pot, if you are planning on searing or sautéing.
Searing the meat adds another level of flavor, that you will only get from searing.
Not all meat needs to be seared or sauteed first. For instance, my Pressure Cooker Classic Pot Roast, will be great whether you sear the meat first or not.
Since the beef chunks are coated with Potato Starch, the meat will get a nice crust and will be extra juice inside.
Use a good Dry Sherry, not a “cooking” Sherry. It should be a Sherry that you are proud to serve as a drink.
That being said, for this recipe, Shaoxing Wine substitutes well for Sherry.
You can see how clean the stainless steel pot is because of allowing it to heat before adding the oil.
My Cilio Olivewood Spatula comes through again.
There is nothing better than Sautéing Mushrooms and Onions in Butter and Sherry or Shaoxing. The extra flavor it adds is fantastic.
Other recipes, where I use Shaoxing Wine are:
- Pressure Cooker Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Passover Vegetable matzo Lasagna
When we grill steaks, I always make a huge batch on the stove, using my Cast Iron Skillet
Check out my Santa Maria Barbecue Grilled Tri-Tip recipe and enjoy it with Onions and Mushrooms.
The depth of flavor, oh my!
You’ve got to try this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff. You will fall in love.
The amount of Sour Cream is totally a personal choice and totally customizable.
There will be enough liquid in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker after pressure cooking to add as much Sour Cream as you like and still have a saucy dish.
A glass measuring cup is very handy for tempering.
Isn’t it grand that with my method of cooking, a slurry is never necessary! You shouldn’t really ever have to make a slurry, if the recipe is created properly.
Or, use a Spiralizer and serve the Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff over Zucchini Noodles.
For another Stroganoff treat, try my Pressure Cooker Ground Turkey Stroganoff, for a one pot meal!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Eukein Electric Pepper Mill
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- Shaoxing Wine
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Creamy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Creamy Instant Pot Beef StroganoffPrint Pin Rate
- 32 ounces Beef Sirloin Steak sliced into 2 inch chunks
- 16 ounces Cremini or Wild Mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces Onion sliced
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Hungarian Paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Potato Starch
- 4 ounces Dry Sherry Wine
- 10 ounces Beef Broth unsalted
- 1.5 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 8 ounces Sour Cream
- 16 ounces Wide Egg Noodles prepared according to package directions
- Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley for garnish
- Slice Beef across grain and sprinkle with Salt, Pepper and Paprika. Add Potato Starch and mix through.
- Select Sauté/Browning on Pressure Cooker and allow pot to fully heat.
- Add Olive Oil and half the Butter to cooking pot. When Butter is melted, add Beef and sear until brown, about one minute. Remove Beef to a bowl.
- Deglaze cooking pot with half the Sherry, making sure to completely scrape up all the brown bits. Add the remaining Butter, Onions and Mushrooms. Sauté for 6 minutes
- Add the Garlic and Sauté for 30 seconds. Add the rest of the Sherry to the cooking pot and deglaze the pot.
- Mix in the Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard and Broth. Return Beef to the cooking pot, including any juice on the plate.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes. When Beep is heard, wait 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Select Sauté/Browning and let liquid reduce for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt/pepper, if needed.
- Place Sour Cream into a large measuring cup and slowly add 1/2 cup of hot liquid to temper. Whisk together well. Slowly add the Sour Cream into the cooking pot and whisk
- Serve over Egg Noodles or Rice, with a garnish of parsley.