Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are great as an appetizer or a main course. Healthier then deep frying, these wings are so crispy and delicious.
These Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings have just become my favorite chicken wings of all time. They look deep fried, but they are not.
I know I told you that my favorite wings are my Better Than Hot Wings Cafe, Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings. They have been my favorite for years. This recipe is the combined effort of my husband and me.
He created and made the sauce. I had the idea for the wings, with the timing and he executed this whole recipe.
Potato Starch is the secret ingredient.
Don’t be tempted to use flour instead of Potato Starch. You won’t get the same effect or taste. Do you remember years ago, sitting down at a Chinese restaurant and perusing the menu?
The waitress or waiter would bring each guest an eggroll, a fried shrimp and a cup of soup. Remember the crunch of that shrimp? It was light, but crackly and crunchy and delicious?
That is the texture and feeling you will get with these Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings.
Oh, and if you love that shrimp, you must try my Bang Bang Shrimp (Bonefish Grill) recipe. It is heaven in your mouth.
Lots and lots of garlic infused in butter with sweet honey, make these wings so delicious. There are only a few ingredients and you may be thinking, yeah right, how can this be as good as This Old Gal says.
Keep reading and watching. They are not your everyday Honey Garlic Chicken Wings….they are not!
You are all invited to join my Air Fryer Recipe Facebook Group! Don’t forget to Like me on Facebook! After clicking on “Like,” make sure to click on “See First,” so that all new recipes will get delivered to your Facebook page. 🙂
Make sure your wings have been patted dry. Set them aside for now. For timing purposes, start making the sauce first. While the sauce is cooking, place dried Chicken Wings into a large mixing bowl. Dump the Potato Starch on top of the raw Chicken Wings.
Trust me, you’re going to thank me if you use Potato Starch.
This recipe is for 16 chicken wing parts, so I used my smaller GoWise USA 3.7 Quart Air Fryer.
Allow the Chicken Wings to cook for 25 minutes, shaking them every five minutes or so.
Using a small saucepan, heat it on low heat. Add the butter after the pan is hot. Adding a fat to a hot pan, makes the pan non stick!
Add the minced garlic to the saucepan. Allow the garlic to infuse into the butter on low heat for 5 minutes.
You don’t want to sauté or burn the garlic, so be careful to watch the heat. Whisk the butter mixture about every couple of minutes.
At this point, the butter will be nicely infused with garlic and the aroma will be delightful.
The mixture should be at a very, very low simmer.
Shake the wings at the half way point. When the Buzzer sounds, give the wings another shake. Raise the temperature and put them back into the Air Fryer. You can see how nice and puffy and delicious the Wings look, even before the Sauce is added.
The sauce will turn a gorgeous caramel color. That is how you know it is just about ready. It will become syrupy.
It now looks like a caramel sauce. Turn off the heat on the stove. The wings are almost ready.
Look how crispy they look. They are so crunchy and crispy and not oily at all. Don’t they look wonderful? The Potato Starch really allows the wings to crisp up beautifully.
Make sure each wing is dry and crisp. If there are any soft parts, let them cook a bit longer. If you need to shake more for your particular brand of air fryer, do. There is nothing worse than soggy wing skin!
Place the Air Fryer Chicken Wings into a Large Serving/Mixing Bowl and pour on the hot Honey Garlic Sauce. There will just be enough syrup (sauce) to coat the wings.
Toss the wings to coat completely. There won’t be any sauce left over for dipping as all the sauce should stick to the wings.
These Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are not a saucy type of wing. They will be a syrupy, sticky nature.
Enjoy the Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings with Air Fryer Seasoned French Fries or Thai Triple Coconut Rice and a green vegetable. For another delicious flavor, try my Air Fryer Crispy Old Bay Chicken Wings with Warm Lemon Butter or my Air Fryer Chinese Salt & Pepper Chicken Wings, which are amazing!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWise USA 3.7 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Rösle Silicone Flat Whisk
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Kuhn Rikon Kitchen Shears
- Corelle Large Serving Bowl
- Silicone Coated Tongs
- Potato Starch
- Stainless Steel Saucepan
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken WingsPrint Pin Rate
- See my article on How to Prepare and Properly Season Your Air Fryer Basket.
- Rinse and dry chicken wings. Add Potato Starch to bowl and coat chicken wings. Add coated chicken wings to Air Fryer.
- Cook at 380 degrees for 25 minutes, shaking the basket every five minutes.
- When Timer sounds, cook at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes. All skin on all wings should be very dry and crisp.
- Heat a small stainless steel saucepan on low heat. Melt butter and then add garlic. Sauté the garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add honey and salt and simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, just so the sauce does not burn. Add a few drops of water after 15 minutes to keep Sauce from hardening.
- Remove chicken wings from Air Fryer and pour over the sauce.