Better Than Hot Wings Café Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings are better for your wallet and easily prepared in the air fryer in about 30 minutes.
Better Than Hot Wings Café Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
There is a cute little café on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, called Hot Wings Café. My work colleagues and I often frequented the restaurant for lunch. They make the best Hot Wings!
They offer mild, medium and hot and they are served in little red baskets with French Fries, sticks of celery and Blue Cheese dressing. You can order six, 12, 18, etc. I think we used to get a dozen each.
These Better Than Hot Wings Café Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings will make you feel like you are sitting in that restaurant, enjoying a meal.
Please feel free to join the chat at Facebook Air Fryer Recipe Group, where we share recipes, methods and fun.
Back in the 80’s things were different and people shared recipes, secrets, tips, etc. I can’t remember how it came about, but I was talking to the Chef about how much I loved the wings and he told me, it’s simple, only two ingredients. He also told me how to vary the heat with those two ingredients.
Years and years later, my husband and I wanted Hot Wings and I told him about the Hot Wings Café on Melrose. We made the wings in our tiny deep fryer as I remembered from the Chef and they were excellent.
Friday’s became Wing Night and we needed a larger deep fryer, where we could drain and clean the oil, so we purchased a T-fal Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Up Deep Fryer and made the best wings.
After a while, we started making the wings in our oven, but it just wasn’t the same, but it did cut down on calories, so we only fried once in a while. Looking for a better method, these Better Than Hot Wings Café Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings were born.
Rinse and dry off your chicken wings.
My husband wanted to shake things up a bit and added a couple of extra ingredients to the recipe, which turned out to be delicious. He hates Blue Cheese, so I imagine, he wanted to add something, in lieu of using Blue Cheese.
By the way, if you purchase your chicken wings whole, I recommend the Kuhn Rikon Kitchen Shears, as they self sharpen and cut through bone really well. Now we use our GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer and it is the best of both worlds.
During the first cook cycle, shake the Wings a couple of times.
Make sure to shake your Better Than Hot Wings Café Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings a couple of times during the cooking time.
When wings are cooked, place them in a Medium or Large Mixing Bowl and the sauce to coat.
For you chicken wing lovers, I bet you will like my Honey Bourbon Chicken Wings or my my Asian Sticky Chicken Wings. My new favorite recipe for Wings is my Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, which incorporates a different method of cooking the wings.
Trust me, they are not your usual Honey Garlic Wings, at all.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Bellemain Porcelain Ramekins
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Kuhn Rikon Kitchen Shears
- Silicone Coated Tongs
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Better than Hot Wings Café, Buffalo Chicken Wings, cooked in an Air Fryer.Print Pin Rate
- In a mixing cup, whisk together Frank's, butter, Worstershire, brown sugar and salt and set aside.
- Pat Wings dry and place chicken wings in Air Fryer basket.
- Cook at 380 degrees for 25 minutes, shaking the basket half way through. When Beep sounds, shake the wings, change temperature to 400 degrees and cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove wings from Air Fryer and dump into large mixing bowl. Add sauce and toss to mix. Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing and celery sticks.
For a milder sauce, use more butter.
Heat of sauce is determined by the Frank's RedHot® Cayenne Pepper Sauce. If you use less than 4 pounds, or more than 4 pounds of wings, the cook time is the same. If you use more than 4 pounds, you may need to make a larger batch of the sauce.