Crispy Air Fryer Avocado Fries with a cool Cilantro Chive Dipping Sauce makes a great appetizer. Creamy and crispy, they cook up to perfection in your Air Fryer.
Air Fryer Avocado Fries
When I first came to Los Angeles in 1985, suitcase and Cocker Spaniel, Buffy in hand, I noticed that wherever I went, Avocados were on the menu and included with so many dishes.
I wasn’t a fan of Avocados. Hamburger please, hold the Avocado. Salad please, hold the Avocado.
But, then something happened.
Slowly, but surely, over the years, I began to like and then love Avocados so much.
One of my favorite ways to eat Avocados is on a vegetarian sandwich, stuffed with bean sprouts, shredded carrots, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, sunflower seeds and mayo.
Oh yeah, baby, that is so good!
Imagine adding Crispy Air Fryer Avocado Fries to that sandwich! OMG, I can’t even…….. can you?
For some types of food and recipes, I am a minimalist.
I want to taste the main ingredient.
The Avocado is the star of this show and the other ingredients are supporting players.
As with any recipe, seasonings are always just a suggestion.
Feel free to change up the spices for other flavors.
My TOG House Seasoning is terrific in this recipe!
Start with a Three Station Breading Station.
All Purpose Flour is never recommended for the first layer of coating.
My secret weapon for the best crisp and crunch is Potato Starch.
Cornstarch can be used in place of Potato Starch, but IMO, the Potato Starch does a much better job.
Whisking the Egg Whites up with the Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste, until froth, will help give you a light batter and a fresher taste, than if using the whole Egg.
I used Egg Whites for the second batch, so after a comparison, the Whites won out.
For the best Avocado Fries, a ripe, but firm Avocado is best.
If the Avocado has become a bit mushy, make some Guacamole instead, as a mushy Avocado does not hold up well in the Large Air Fryer.
Avocados tend to brown easily.
Therefore, either drizzle them in Lemon or Lime Juice, or place them in a bowl of water with Lemon Juice.
The most important aspect of Air Frying breaded food is how each step of the breading or coating is applied.
At each stage of breading, it is imperative to shake off any excess breading.
The Potato Starch adheres really well in the first breading step (which you can see in the above photo), so give the Avocado slices a very hardy shake to remove all, but a very thin layer of starch. It should be translucent.
Otherwise, you will have a thick and hard coat of breading, which can be tough and chewy and not so pleasant.
I really like this Batter Pro Bowl for the last step in breading (assuming you aren’t using a Breading Station), as it gets off all the excess stuff and makes Air Frying easier.
My Air Fryer French Fries are super delicious too, but make sure you understand that while the French Fries in an Air Fryer are yummy, they are one of the things which will never be as good as cooking in a Deep Fat Fryer. IMO. This is the exact one we own.
Have you read my Article on How to Properly Season Air Fryer Basket to Prevent Sticking, yet?
It may cost double of what the other brands and types cost, but it will last you five times as long, so, in the short run, it is cheaper.
Plus, it is more convenient to use. One charge and you can spray the whole batch of whatever you are cooking and still have it charged for when you flip the food.
Whether you use a simple marinara sauce or my Cilantro-Chive Dipping Sauce, you are going to love the crunch of this recipe.
One of my most favorite Air Fryer recipes is my Air Fryer Southern Catfish. You’ve got to try this recipe. You will fall in love with catfish!
Specialty Sauces and Food Items
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Eukein Electric Pepper Mill
- Fine Life Oil Mister
- Sonder LA Acacia Wood Cutting Board with Groove
- Breading Station
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Avocado Fries
Crispy Air Fryer Avocado FriesPrint Pin Rate
- Mix together Dipping Sauce ingredients and place into refrigerator.
- Squeeze Lemon into a medium bowl of water. Cut Avocados in half and remove the seeds. Slice each Avocado into 8 slices, remove the skin and place into bowl of lemon water.
- Prepare Air Fryer Basket by spraying it with Ghee, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil or Avocado Oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Egg Whites and Sambal Oelek, until frothy and set aside, as part of the 3 station breading station.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together 1/4 cup Potato Starch, TOG House Seasoning, Salt, Pepper and Cumin.
- In another shallow bowl, mix together 1/4 cup Potato Starch and crushed Panko.
- Remove each slice of Avocado from lemon water, pat dry and lightly dredge through Potato Starch mixture, shaking off any excess Starch.
- Quickly dip each slice into Egg mixture and then dredge through Panko/Starch mixture.
- Place Avocado Fries into Air Fryer Basket (you may have to do this in batches). Generously spray Avocado Fries with Oil.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes, turning over after 6 minutes. Fries should be slightly browned and crisp.