These Air Fryer Yuca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce, a Caribbean treat, make a great side dish or snack, without the grease.
Air Fryer Yuca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce
I’m not a Fast Food Junkie and I don’t often opt for what is the easiest and quickest way to cook a meal.
On days when I don’t feel like cooking and do need dinner from a quick Fast Food place, I do try to make it one that at least uses real ingredients. Pollo Tropicale in Florida grills their chicken and uses wholesome ingredients.
Their Chicken is similar to Pollo Loco in California.
Their Fried Yuca with the Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce IS. TO. DIE. FOR!
That alone was worth the trip. Before leaving Florida and coming back to LA, I stopped there just to buy an order of Fried Yuca and load up on their Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce. I froze several containers of the Sauce.
Air Fryer Yuca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce is as good as from the restaurant, without the grease and with only a few grams of fat! My Pressure Cooker Cuban Yuca Con Mojo is equally as good and cooks in just a few minutes, as well!
If you do not have a Pressure Cooker, and why don’t you, you can boil the Yuca on the Stove.
Recipe and method are the same for frozen Yuca and works the same way as fresh.
With a sharp knife, cut off the ends of the Yuca and cut them in half or in thirds. Yuca Root can be very long. Cut the Yuca into 3-4 inch pieces. It just makes it easier to peel in smaller pieces, rather than in one big long piece.
Plus, that is a good size for the Air Fryer Yuca Fries.
You can see that super thick skin, which is also quite hard, almost like the bark on a tree. Yuca has a woody and fibrous core, which will need to be removed.
It can be done before or after cooking. I usually do it before cooking, just to be done with it.
Please make sure to be careful when removing the skin of the Yuca. Do not let your pets near it. Do not use it for compost. Do not taste the Yuca raw. Yuca has has linamarin which when eaten raw converts to cyanide in the stomach. Proper cooking of Yuca, eliminates that potential.
If you want to use a Potato Peeler, make sure you have a very strong one that won’t break.
The skin is pretty thick.
This will make it easier to remove. If using a Stove Top, boil some water, add the Yuca and cook it until almost fork tender, about 15 minutes.
On the Stove Top, Yuca takes about 25 minutes to cook. In the Pressure Cooker, it only takes 9 minutes.
While your Yuca is cooking in your Pressure Cooker, mix up the Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce and set it aside.
The ingredients need to merge and marry for optimal flavor.
This Fine Life Oil Mister works really well.
Place the Air Fryer Yuca Fries into your Properly Seasoned Air Fryer Basket.
Give the Yuca Fries a shake every so often.
If you want a crispier Fry, just cook a bit longer than the time indicated on the recipe card below.
These Air Fryer Yucca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce just may become your go to snack!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Fine Life Oil Mister
- Sonder LA Acacia Wood Cutting Board with Groove
- RSVP Stainless Steel Strainer Basket
- Fine Life Oil Mister
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Yuca Fries
Air Fryer Yuca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard SaucePrint Pin Rate
- Cut off ends of Yuca and cut in half, width-wise. Cut off skin with a sharp knife. Add water to pressure cooker. Place in Steamer Basket in Pressure Cooker over water.
- Cook at High Pressure for 9 minutes. When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Prepare Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce and set aside.
- Remove Yuca from Pressure Cooker. Place in mixing bowl. Coat with Canola Oil and Kosher Salt.
- Place Yuca in Air Fryer Basket and place into Air Fryer. Cook at 380 degrees for 12-15 minutes, flipping Fries half way through. Serve with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce.