My Air Fryer Tijuana Street Tacos recipe replicates the Tacos sold on the Streets of Mexico. Seasoned Meat is cooked quickly underneath Fresh Pineapple slices. Use low carb tortillas or other tortillas.
If you have ever been to Mexico, you know about all the vendors on the streets and all the yummy food.
Big skewers of meat with a Pineapples on top, adorn every street corner. As the meat cooks, the juice from the Pineapple drips into the meat. Those are the best Tacos ever. The vendor then grabs some warm, freshly made Corn Tortillas and slices off some of the meat right into the Tortillas.
A little bit of Pico de Gallo is added and you are handed the Taco, with a slice of Lime. Before you turn on your Air Fryer, whip up my Mexican Homemade Pico de Gallo recipe, so that you have it all ready to go.
What is Flap Meat?
- Flap Meat or Flap Steak, is a delicious cut of Beef. It comes from a bottom sirloin butt.
- In the New England area, you may see Flap Meat referred to as Sirloin Tips.
- Skirt Steak, in my opinion, tastes very similar to Flap Meat, however, I find that while I enjoy super rare Skirt Steak, the Flap Steak is a bit better with a slightly longer cook time.
For this recipe, the meat is sliced thin, so that it cooks quickly and will get a nice char, from all the surface area. Make sure to use a very sharp knife, like the J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife, so that you don’t cut yourself and you end up with nice and even slices.
If you can tell by the photo above, the meat is sliced on an angle and is about 2 inches by 4 inches and quite thin.
As you have probably noticed if you follow my blog, I like to buy meat when it is on sale and stock up. We then prepare various types of marinades and slice up the meat, if needed and package up the meat with the corresponding marinade into portions.
See my Pressure Cooker Beef and Broccoli recipe, for example. My Air Fryer Crispy Sumac Chicken is a perfect example of a recipe, that is so easy to make in advance, so that as it freezes, it marinates and continues to marinate, as it is defrosting.
They are securely sealed in our Foodsaver, labeled and tossed in the freezer for another day. Using a Foodsaver Bag (which also works for Sous Vide cooking) for marinading the meat helps too, as you can marinate the meat in a shorter amount of time.
Ingredients for Tijuana Street Tacos
- Flap Meat
- Fresh Garlic
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Achiote (a/k/a Ground Annatto Seed)
- Dark Brown Sugar or Surkin Brown Sugar Substitute
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh or Canned Pineapple Slices
How do you make Air Fryer Tijuana Street Tacos?
Since we are not on the Streets of Tijuana and the Air Fryer is only “yay” high, we will replicate the Pineapple that sits atop the skewer of Taco Meat by adding Pineapple on top of the sliced beef.
As the the Steak is cooking, the Pineapple Rings will begin to caramelize and make a great treat to go with the Tacos.
If you use extra Pineapple during the cook time, try sprinkling with Dark Brown Sugar and Air Frying and then place in a bowl with a scoop of ice cream. So much yum.
Grab some Homemade Corn Tortillas or buy a bag of Corn Tortillas. (Yes, I know those are flour, but that is what Ed brought home instead of picking up fresh homemade at our local Northgate Market.) Warm them up and add the meat and a Tablespoon or two of Pico de Gallo. My Simple Corn Salsa is also delicious with these Tacos.
Slice a Lime and give a quick squirt over the meat and you are good to go!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWise 7 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Tijuana Street TacoPrint Pin Rate
- 2 pounds Flap Meat (Flap Steak) (called Sirloin Tips in NE USA)
- 4 cloves Fresh Garlic finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar (or Low Carb Sub), divided
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1.5 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1.5 teaspoon Ground Achiote (Annato Seed)
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- 1 can Pineapple Slices (or 1 fresh Pineapple cut into rings!)
- 10 fresh Corn Tortillas (or flour)
- or Street Tacos Tortillas
- or Low Carb Tortillas
- Homemade Pico de Gallo
- 1 fresh Lime cut into wedges
- Slice Pineapple into Rings and core the center (or use a can of Pineapple Slices).
- Place sliced meat into a medium mixing bowl and add Chipotle, Adobo Sauce, Oregano, Cumin, Achiote, 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice (or 1/4 cup minced Pineapple), 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar and Salt. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Pull out Air Fryer Drawer and lightly spray Basket with Oil.
- Place Meat into Air Fryer Basket and cover with Pineapple Rings. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar over Pineapple
- Cook at 390 for 8 minutes.
- Serve in warm corn or flour tortillas with Pico de Gallo and a Lime Wedge. Enjoy Pineapple on the side.