Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup is a guilt free treat for Weight Watchers, diabetics, low carb and keto followers. Your sweet treat is just minutes away. Instructions for a Keto Fat Bomb Shave Ice too!
Weight Watchers and diabetics make Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup in the Blender.
As someone needing to lose weight and reduce my A1C, I needed a delicious and sweet treat, which can be made easily and quickly for when the cravings happen!
Zero calories, zero weight watchers points, pure enjoyment. Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup can be made in your favorite flavors.
Skip spending $10 or more per bottle for sugar free snow cone syrup. With only a few ingredients, you can make yourself a wonderful sugar free syrup in your own home.
Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup is made using any blender. In the video, I show you how to make the syrup in these Instant Pot Ace Blender and the Vitamix, which are very powerful blenders.
Jump to Section
Ingredients for Blender Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup
- Monkfruit Sweetener, Stevia Blend, Swerve Granular or So Nourished – or other Granulated Sugar Replacement.
- Xanthan Gum – sorry, don’t laugh at me, but it is super hard to say with a lisp.
- Unsweetened KoolAid Packet – your favorite flavors.
As a bonus treat for keto and low carb followers, you will see at the end of the post/video how I turned my Sugar Free Low Carb Shave Ice Syrup recipe into a Low Carb Shave Ice Fat Bomb!
Both these blenders are very powerful, so you will want to make sure that you use the lower settings.
Why use Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is a thickening agent. It is very, very potent. Trust me, you should have seen my first batch! It is great to use to thicken gravies and sauces, but it is first mixed with a little warm/hot water.
For my Instant Pot Shave Ice Syrup recipe, white sugar is boiled with water to make a simple syrup (although a true simple syrup is cooked down until quite thick). When using a sugar substitute, it does not have the stickiness that happens when sugar becomes moist or wet, so a thickening agent is needed to make Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup.
Without the xanthan gum, the Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup would simply drip down through the save ice and collect at the bottom of the cup.
The xanthan gum increases viscosity of the syrup and keeps the flavor throughout the shave ice.
People taste things differently, so the type of sugar substitute is up to you. Each diet is different, so one sugar substitute may be preferred over the next.
What Sugar Substitute to Use
- This is a personal choice. Those following a Weight Watchers diet often use sugar substitutes like Splenda, Stevia and Equal.
- Keto and low carb followers prefer to use Monkfruit sweetener, stevia blend or an erythritol type like Swerve Granular or So Nourished.
Xanthan gum does not mix well with cool water, so like the gelatin trick I show in my Instant Pot Noosa Yogurt recipe we will do the same in this Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup recipe.
The dry ingredients will first need to be combined before adding the water. This way, the xanthan gum will be distributed well and when introduced to the water, xanthan gum will not clump.
You can see on the Instant Pot ACE the lowest speed button is pushed. For the Vitamix, use a speed of 2-3 to combine the dry ingredients.
Pro Tip: The Instant Pot ACE will first show a 2 and count down before starting, giving you time to add all the dry ingredients. It will then start to spin, so make sure to cover the little hole in the top to avoid powder from flying everywhere (see video for example).
Once the water is poured into the container, you will see the color of the flavoring you chose.
The syrup may be a bit cloudy if mixed too long, but will calm down after a bit.
Pro Tip: Blend on low until the dry ingredients are mixed with the water. This will help to avoid all the foam from over blending.
What Bottles to Use for Blender Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup?
- It depends on if there will be kids pouring their own sugar free shave ice syrup.
- Squeeze bottles, which are BPA free are good to use as they are light weight and travel well for summer picnics.
- Glass bottles work really well. If there are kids around, you will need to be careful, as glass tends to become slippery.
- For glass bottles, I recommend this set of six, along with a set of bottle pourers.
Pro Tip: If there is too much foam, pour the shave ice syrup into another container and wait for the foam to go away, or spoon it out and then pour into the squeeze bottles.
This Little Snowie Shave Ice Machine is fantastic for shave ice. If you are thinking about buy a machine, get this one. You can see in the video how fast it shaves the ice and you can go from one serving to the next.
Ed is watching over me, I’m not sure it is because he wants one. I think he wants to make sure I do this right. He’s taken over making us shave ice for treats…..or maybe he just wants a really big shave ice!
Wanna turn your Sugar Free Shave Ice into a Keto Fat Bomb Save Ice? Wait for it…………………….
Eaten as is, my Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup is perfect for diabetics and Weight Watchers. Ed waits for no one! 🙂
For those following a low carb or keto life style (which includes diabetics), turn your Sugar Free Shave ice into a Low Carb / Keto Fat Bomb Shave Ice. Oh my gosh, you are going to love your low carb treat.
Filipino’s call this cold dessert, “Haluhalo” or “Halo-Halo.” Halo-Halo is believed to have come to the Philippines from pre-war Japanese migrants. In Japan, the “Kakigori” shave ice is flavored with syrup and sweetened condensed milk.
Topping Ideas for Keto Fat Bomb Shave Ice
- Sweetened Condensed Milk*
- Coconut Cream
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips or shaved chocolate
- Coconut Flakes
- Chopped Walnuts
Condensed milk is just sweetened evaporated milk, which has boiled down. * For low carbers, coconut milk is simmered with xantham gum and erythritol until thickened to make a sweetened condensed milk.
Watch the video below as I walk you through every step and detail of this recipe. I’ve given you a ton of information above, but sometimes a live visual of the process helps so you can follow along. I have my own cooking show on my YouTube Channel, so be sure to check it out and subscribe!
Watch my video and then scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe card.
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot ACE Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup
- Start with a dry blender.
- If using a different sugar substitute than I mention on the recipe card, make sure to find out how to convert it to the strength I use. Some sweeteners are stronger than others and less or more may be used. For instance, some are measured cup for cup for sugar and other types are one cup sugar to 1/4 cup sugar substitute.
- Only blend until combined. Otherwise, you will end up with foam.
Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup has no after taste. The kids will love it too!
When I first told Ed I was buying a Little Snowie Shave Ice machine, he said, why. I said because I love shave ice. He said, well, I won’t be eating any. Really Ed, you’ve had one like every day since.
I hope this Sugar Free Shave Ice Syrup recipe will make it easier for everyone needing a sugar free snack. As someone trying to lower my A1C, this has been a G-d send for me. There is no aftertaste and I can enjoy a sweet treat whenever I like.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes:
- Pressure Cooker Bruschetta Chicken with Zoodles [Low Carb]
- Pressure Cooker Baingan Bharta [Indian Eggplant]
- Keto Low Carb Pancakes with Sneaky Squash
Make sure to post a photo of your tongue after eating a Sugar Free Shave Ice. Mine is always blue!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Ace 60 Blender or VitaMix
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Simply Gourmet (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Squeeze bottles
- Little Snowie Shave Ice Machine
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
- Add sugar substitute, xanthan gum and flavoring to blender and combine on low for 2 seconds. On Instant Pot Ace, push the low button. On Vitamix set the speed to 2.5.
- Add water and blend on low until completely combined, about 10 seconds.
- Pour into squeeze bottles.
- Keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
- Start with a dry blender.
- If using a different sugar substitute than Lakanto Monkfruit,Pyure or Swerve (erythritol), make sure to it to the one cup of sugar substitute in this recipe. Some sweeteners are stronger than others and less or more may be used. For instance, some are measured cup for cup for sugar and other types are one cup sugar to 1/4 cup sugar substitute.
- Only blend until combined. Otherwise, you will end up with foam.
- If there is too much foam, pour the shave ice syrup into another container and wait for the foam to go away, or spoon it out and then pour into the squeeze bottles.
- Add an extract like coconut or almond to any flavor.
- A drop of almond extract mixed in with the coconut cream or unsweetened condensed milk turns the Low Carb Shave Ice into an Almond Joy delight.
To Make Low Carb Keto Fat Bomb Shave Ice:
- Make Shave Ice in a cup.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons coconut cream or unsweetened condensed milk.
- Add 2 Tablespoons unsweetened chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle on unsweetened coconut flakes.