Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice is a one pot recipe for making great tacos, burritos, salads and more.
Tacos and Burritos and Rice, oh my! This Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice is better than Drive Thru Fast Food and is ready in less than 15 minutes.
Yep, you heard me right. The rice and the chicken cook at the same time, in the same pot.
For this recipe both white and dark meat chicken work very well. In the above photo, I used dark meat chicken. I was going to cook both at once, but it’s just the two of us and I did not want a ton of leftovers. So, the breasts that I defrosted, will be used tomorrow night.
Another delicious Taco recipe to try are my Pressure Cooker Drive Thru Tacos, which happen to be one of my favorite recipes.
Turn this Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken recipe into a one pot meal!
For the most flavor, it is always a good idea to marinate chicken overnight, or for at least 30 minutes.
Place the chicken in the Pressure Cooker, so that it is all snug as a bug, in a rug.
I used True Lime, Lime, Garlic & Cilantro and Cumin, cause that’s what I like. If my husband sees Cilantro, he won’t eat the food, so I can sneak it in this way. I know it’s a bit devious, but when he doesn’t know it’s there, he likes the food, so give a sista a break. Go figure…..
I generally make my own salsa or use fresh salsa from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. I like Costco’s Fresh Salsa the best. Sometimes they have mango and sometimes pineapple. Yum!
Dump on a tub of salsa.
I love lime, so I used a couple, but start out with just one. You can always add more after the fact. I also used quite a bit of my True Lime, Lime, Garlic & Cilantro because I love the intense lime taste.
Shake in some True Lime, Lime, Garlic & Cilantro and/or squeeze a lime and add fresh cilantro to your rice and water bowl. Again, do this to your taste. You can always add more after the fact.
If you would like to see how to prepare it in full, please check out my Pressure Cooker Perfectly Cooked Pot in Pot Rice recipe.
Place the Pot in Pot Pan of rice on the trivet over the Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken.
I like to give the rice time to steam, so I under cook the rice and the chicken a bit and allow a longer Natural Pressure Release. The rice becomes fluffier and the chicken won’t be chewy or rubbery.
Pull out the rice and fluff it with a fork
Shred the Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken with a couple of forks or a Hand Mixer. There will be enough liquid to pour over your Cilantro Lime Rice.
I like to pour a bit of liquid over my Pressure Cooker Frijoles, too, which I serve on the side, or tuck into my tacos.
Squeeze some more lime over the top, if you like, for a really fresh taste.
The Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken can be used in tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, lettuce wraps and more. Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice and my Pressure Cooker Frijoles (re-fried beans).
Don’t laugh, but we like to use Taco Amigo Tongs so that the tacos don’t fall over.
That’s not sour cream on top, that is my Homemade Greek Yogurt. I replaced sour cream with Homemade Greek Yogurt for almost everything where sour cream is used. That’s easy on the wallet too!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- KitchenAid Hand Mixer
- Salbree Steamer Basket
- Stainless Steel Trivet
- Stainless Steel Rice, Cake, Dessert “Pot in Pot” Pan
- True Lime, Lime, Garlic & Cilantro
- Homemade Greek Yogurt
- Pressure Cooker Perfectly Cooked Pot in Pot Rice recipe
- Taco Amigo Tongs
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Salsa Lime ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- Pressure Cooker Perfectly Cooked Pot Pot Rice recipe
- 2 TBL Fresh Cilantro Leaves chopped
- 1 tsp True Lime Garlic Cilantro
- 1 TBL Butter
- Remove all fat from chicken.
- Sprinkle seasonings on both sides of chicken.
- Add seasoned chicken to Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
- Pour on Salsa and squeeze one lime over the chicken.
- If making this a One Pot Meal, add the Cilanto Lime Rice now.
- Lock on Lid and Close Pressure Valve.
- Cook at High pressure for 6 minutes for dark meat. (See notes section)
- When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Open lid and squeeze on more lime, if desired.
- Shred chicken and serve in taco shells, burritos, lettuce leaves, or on a salad.
For bone in breast - cook 5 minutes with a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.