Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken is tender and juicy with a creamy spicy sauce. It can be made with Coconut Rice in the pressure cooker at the same time.
Juicy, flavorful and delicious, Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken is a great staple recipe to have on hand.
The chicken can be shredded for tacos and burritos or mixed with the sauce and used as a dip.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
It is a sweet and creamy chili sauce.
Bone Fish Grill and The Cheesecake Factory have made “Bang Bang” quite popular.
The sauce is so good, I suggest mixing up a batch and storing it in your refrigerator to use on fish and on sandwiches.
How to Make Bang Bang Sauce.
- Grab some Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Full Fat Mayonnaise. I’ve been really digging Duke’s brand lately.
- Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste is fantastic. The chili flavor is pure and doesn’t interfere with other flavors. It is a good staple to have in your fridge.
- Whisk up the ingredients really well.
- Use a funnel and pour into a squeeze jar.
Bang Bang Sauce will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
In order for the starch to stick and remain on the chicken, the chicken will quickly sear in a bit of oil.
Next the chicken will quickly cook under pressure and all the flavors will be locked in.
In the ingredients photo above, I have shown you the types of coconut milk, which I prefer.
They seem to be the best brands and highest quality.
In this recipe, we will make the rice at the same time as the Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken.
Seasoned Rice Vinegar adds a nice bit of flavor and sweetness to the rice.
Check out my Pressure Cooker Thai Moo Wan Sweet Pork for another recipe with coconut rice.
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken.
- Thoroughly wash the rice to remove excess starch and any arsenic that might be present.
- Mix up the Bang Bang Sauce in advance.
- Start with a hot pot and then add oil.
- Whisk the egg whites until very foamy.
- Shake off any excess potato starch prior to placing in the pot.
Potatoes, carrots, turnips can be cooked pot in pot, instead of the rice.
Other Instant Pot Creamy Recipes to Enjoy:
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Pressure Cooker Jalapeno Honey Chicken w/Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker Creamy Baked Ziti
- Instant Pot Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
I always love veggies, so I make a big pile of whatever I have on hand.
Red cabbage adds nice color, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers are all great with this Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken recipe.
The Bang Bang Chicken would be great with Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes too!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealty MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Eukein Electric Pepper Mill
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- RSVP Stainless Steel Strainer Basket
- 2 Tiered Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Stackable Insert Pans
- Stainless Steel Tall/Short Trivet & Egg Cooker Set
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Bang Bang ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1 large Egg White
- 1/4 cup Potato Starch
- 2 pounds Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 12 ounces Calrose Rice rinsed
- 1.5 cups Fresh Water
- 1/4 cup Seasoned Rice Vinegar divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Red Cabbage shredded
- Carrots shredded
- Cucumber sliced
- Butter Lettuce
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. Add in 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek and whisk.
- Place chicken pieces into sauce and let sit 5 minutes.
- Rinse rice and add to rice pan with 1/4 cup of coconut milk, 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar and 1.5 cups (12 ounces) of water. Set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, Sambal Oelek, pinch of salt and set aside. Pour into squeeze bottle, if desired.
- Select Saute/Browning on pressure cooker and allow to fully heat. Add oil. Remove chicken from egg white and dredge through potato starch and place into cooking pot. Sear each side for 10 seconds and then remove.
- Pour in the rest of the rice vinegar and deglaze cooking pot, making sure nothing is stuck on the bottom of the pot. Return chicken to cooking pot and pour in 1/4 cup coconut milk. Turn off pressure cooker and return chicken to cooking pot.
- Place trivet into cooking pot and place pan of rice on top.
- Lock on lid and close pressure valve. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. When beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove rice pan and fluff rice. Prepare each plate with garnishings and add a scoop of rice to each plate. Cut chicken into pieces and place on top of rice. Drizzle Bang Bang Sauce over chicken.