Pressure Cooker Thai Moo Wan Sweet Pork is a popular dish at Thai restaurants. The Caramelized Pork pairs well with Coconut Rice and a green tangy salad. Crispy Onions finish off the dish.
Pressure Cooker Thai Moo Wan Sweet Pork is a popular dish at Thai restaurants.
The Caramelized Pork pairs well with Coconut Rice and a green tangy salad. Crispy Onions finish off the dish.
I’ve seen this dish made using chunks of pork, strips and even shredded.
For this Instant Pot Pressure Cooker recipe, I decided to use strips of pork and make the recipe super simple.
It also cooks with a very simple Coconut Rice recipe.
My Pressure Cooker Thai Triple Coconut Rice recipe is very delicious, but is a sweet recipe and therefore, would not pair well with this Sweet Pork recipe.
When cooking a whole meal, each part must pair with the other and the ingredients for this recipe, pairs perfectly.
We’ve had this dish at a local Thai restaurant and it is one of Ed’s favorites, as he likes a more simple recipe without so many fancy ingredients.
Moo Wan is a very sweet dish and quite delish.
But, for me, a little too sweet. Soooooo.
When I make it at home, I add a bit of garlic and a little heat to cut the sweetness.
What is Moo Wan Pork?
- It is a Thai recipe.
- It is made with Dark/Black Sweet Soy Sauce and Palm Sugar.
- Often served as an appetizer since the dish is so sweet.
- It can be made with Pork Belly.
- I’ve done a Vietnamese version, using ribs, called Vietnamese Caramelized Pork Spare Ribs.
For this recipe, I chose Grapeseed Oil, which is a mild tasting Oil.
Just make sure you first heat up your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker.
What are the Ingredients for Thai Moo Wan Pork?
- Pork – Shoulder (Picnic/Butt) or Pork Belly
- Brown and Palm Sugar
- Fish Sauce
- Dark/Black Sweet Soy Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- White Pepper
Shallots are more complex than onions and add a wonderful flavor.
I like the color too!
You can use as much Garlic as you like for this recipe.
Three cloves will give it a nice taste.
Adding more, will give it a more noticeable garlic taste and change the recipe.
It’s like two recipes in one.
Add a bit more Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste and you have a delicious Spicy Sweet Garlicky Pork!
Pair that recipe with my Pressure Cooker Garlic Whipped Potatoes, as a side dish. Walaaa, a whole new meal!
Shallots release a lot of liquid, so there won’t be much stuck to the bottom of the pot.
As it is simmering, use a Spatula to stir while the Shallots and Garlic release more flavor.
Add the meat and mix it into the Sauce.
The Pork is cut into bite sized strips.
If you prefer chunks, then cut the Pork into chunks.
Pork Shoulder is very fatty and runs through the meat, so as you are cutting, cut off the excess fat.
The Picnic part of the Shoulder is less fatty than the Butt.
My “Rice Pan” is just one of the pans from this Stainless Steel Pan Insert Set.
If you don’t want any of the liquid from the cooking pot to get into the Rice Pan, use the cover with the steam holes.
Otherwise, just leave the pan uncovered.
After the pressure cook time is up, add the rest of the Sugars and simmer, until the Sauce has thickened.
During this time, the Pork will finish cooking and become fork tender.
If you were cooking the Pork in chucks for a Pulled Pork version, you would need to add 5 minutes to the cook time.
Then during this stage, remove the Pork, while the Sauce is thickening and shred the Pork.
Just toss the Shredded Pork back in and continue to simmer, until thick.
For a delicious Mexican Pulled Pork recipe, try my Pressure Cooker Pork Carnitas.
Once you are able to drag the Spatula through the Sauce and a clear space remains, the Sauce is perfect.
Other Thai recipes you may enjoy are:
Caramelized Onions are delicious on top of this Pressure Cooker Moo Wan Sweet Pork recipe.
Serve it with a side salad, which includes greens greens and a Balsamic based dressing.
Pickled Vegetables also makes a great accompaniment to this recipe, as it balances out the sweetness.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- 6 oz Porcelain Ramekins
- Sonder LA End Grain Teak Cutting Board, Juice Grooves & Compartments
- Salbree Steamer Basket
- Ekovana Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Stackable Pans Set
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Thai Moo Wan Sweet Pork
Pressure Cooker Thai Moo Wan Sweet PorkPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 large Shallots sliced medium thick
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, Low Sodium
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar divided
- 1/4 cup Palm Sugar divided
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet/Black Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Premium Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 2 pounds Pork Shoulder (Picnic) cut into 1/4" x 2" strips
- Scallions for garnish
- Caramelized & Crispy Onions for garnish
- Select the Sauté or browning button on your Pressure Cooker and allow to fully heat.
- Add Oil and Shallots to cooking pot and Sauté for two minutes. Add Garlic and Sauté another 30 seconds.
- Add Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Sambal Oelek, White Pepper and half the Sugars to cooking pot and let simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off Pressure Cooker
- Add Pork and combine with the Sauce.
- Place Trivet into cooking pot and place pan on top. Add all Coconut Rice ingredients. Cover with a vented lid.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 6 minutes. When Beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove lid, remove pan of Rice and set aside. Mix in the rest of the Sugar. Select Sauté or Browning and let simmer until Sauce has thickened and the Sauce can be parted with a spatula.
- Garnish with crispy caramelized Onions and Scallions. Serve with a green salad with an acidic dressing, like Balsamic Vinegar.