Pressure Cooker Italian Drip Beef French Dip is wonderful for large parties, as the meat can be made in advance.
We love sandwiches in this house and we love French Dip Sandwiches. There is a very famous place in Downtown, LA called Phillipe’s French Dip. I’ve been there many times over the years.
I was not impressed the last time we visited, much to my dismay. Someone recently had posted that they love Italian Drip Beef Sandwiches.
In reading the recipe, I realized that it is basically a French Dip, but with another name. There are very few ingredients involved for Ree’s Drip Beef.
This is a great recipe for a Freezer Meal!
Trim your meat really well and then drop it into your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. This recipe is so flexible, you can use lamb, pork or any other tough meat that needs a longer cook time.
I used a couple packets of Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix. If you use a packet of straight Italian Seasoning, you will need to add some salt, if there is no salt in the mix.
So, go a head and use your favorite seasonings and add salt, if needed. Some seasonings do not contain salt and if that is the case, add a teaspoon of salt.
You can use this same method to make a bazillion different recipes, just by changing up the seasonings.
I keep a lot of Homemade Pressure Cooker Bone Broth (Stock) in my freezer, so that is what I used. You can use any boxed or canned Beef Broth, Beet Stock or Beef Consommé. Feel free to add any other type of stock to change up the flavors of your Pressure Cooker Italian Drip Beef French Dip.
Remove the chunk of meat from the Pressure Cooker cooking pot and use two forks or Meat Shredder Claws (that I own, but forgot to use) to shred it up really well. If you like, you can leave the meat in the juice overnight, so that the fat will rise to the surface.
The next day, pull out the meat and remove the layer of fat.
Shred the meat really well, don’t miss any, as you don’t want chunks in your Pressure Cooker Italian Drip Beef French Dip sandwich.
Place the meat back into the pot of juice and you are ready to serve.
If you refrigerated your Pressure Cooker Italian Drip Beef French Dip overnight, after shredding, just place the meat back into the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker and heat for five minutes.
Good deli rolls are very important. If you want a really nice way of toasting in your Air Fryer, check out this silly recipe Air Fryer Perfectly Toasted Toast, which makes the best toast and bagels. If you don’t have an Air Fryer, a toaster or oven will also work.
Rub fresh garlic on the buns, or sprinkle some garlic powder and then spread with butter or Ghee.
You can use butter, if you like. I love to use Homemade Ghee as much as possible, as it tastes great and holds up under high temperatures.
Toast buns, face side up until slightly golden.
If you like, you can dip your bread into the juice first and close it right up. That would be a proper “French Dip.”
If you like cheese, add any melting cheese on top of your sandwich. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Muenster, Munchie, Oaxana, etc.
Place the bottom of the sandwich back in your Air Fryer or Toaster Oven and let it melt for about 20 seconds. My husband loves cheese, so he got a good amount.
I don’t like cheese on my meat sandwiches, so I went without.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Reditainer Extreme Freezer Containers
- Freezer Labels
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix
- Homemade Pressure Cooker Bone Broth (Stock)
- Homemade Ghee
- Meat Shredder Claws
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- Beef Chuck Roast, 2.5 To 4 Pounds
- 10-15 oz Beef Broth or Beef Consommé
- 2 Packets Good Seasons Zesty Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Water
- 16 Pepperoncini Peppers with half the juice from a 16 oz bottle
- Garlic, powdered or fresh
- Buttered and Toasted Deli Rolls
- Pepperoncini Peppers, for topping
- Add all ingredients to your Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
- Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve
- Cook at High Pressure for 55 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, allow a Full Natural Pressure Relief.
- Remove meat from pot and shred really well.
- Return the meat to the pot to mix in with the juice.
- Sprinkle garlic on both sides of Deli Rolls and butter.
- Place in Air Fryer or under the boiler and toast until slightly golden.
- Place meat on top of bottom half of Deli Roll and top with cheese, if desired.
- Melt cheese in Air Fryer or under broiler.
- Place a couple of Pepperoncini Peppers on top of meat.
- Place top bun and cut sandwich on the diagonal.
- Serve each sandwich with a Ramekin full of juice, for dipping.