In just a few minutes, you will discover that making Instant Pot Fresh Whole Beets in your own kitchen has never been easier.
How beautiful is that color?
Making Instant Pot Fresh Whole Beets in your Pressure Cooker has never been easier.
In just a few minutes, you will have fork tender, beautiful Deep Red Beets.
These Red Beets are the kind that are used in Borscht. They are sweet and earthy.
Look for my Borscht recipe in my new This Old Gal Cookbook, coming out in the Spring of next year.
Choose Beets with the Fresh Leafy Greens still attached.
Sometimes at Farmer’s Markets, people ask to have the Leafy Greens removed and just take home the Beetroots, so if you can snag some Greens, do it!
The Leafy Greens are delicious Sautéed with some oil, onions and garlic.
What do I need to cook Beets in the Pressure Cooker?
- A bunch or two of Fresh Beets
- Stainless Steel Steamer Basket
- Measuring Cup
- Instant Pot or other brand of Pressure Cooker
Currently, my favorite Pressure Cooker to use for this recipe is the Instant Pot DUO Plus.
This recipe is perfect to cook in the Instant Pot Mini!!
How do your cook Fresh Whole Beets in a Pressure Cooker?
Remove the Leafy Greens and stems from the Beetroot.
Cut them off about 1/2 inch from the Beetroot, making sure not to puncture the Beetroot.
Don’t peel the Beets!
Wash and scrub the Beetroots and place them into your Steamer Basket.
Grab your Glass Measuring Cup and pour in a cup and a half of water.
How long do you cook Beets in a Pressure Cooker?
It depends on the size of your Beets.
- For Medium Beets, 7 minutes is perfect.
- If they are larger, add 2 minutes.
- If they are smaller, subtract 2 minutes.
I like my Beets to be barely fork tender, as I like a little firmness, so adjust the timing to your preference.
How long does it take to Steam Beets?
On the stove, it would take about 12 minutes, after the water boils.
Cool down the Instant Pot Fresh Whole Beets using cool running water and place them into a Mixing Bowl.
Use your fingers to rub off the skin.
The Beetroot skin will come off very easily.
The stumps at both ends will also rub right off.
If you don’t want red fingers, try using some Food Handling Gloves. Please note that I am against disposables, but wanted to offer an option for those queasy about handling food and/or manicured fingernails.
How do I store Beets?
Beets can be kept whole or cut.
Make sure to cover them with water.
Beets will stain many containers.
Freshly Steamed Beets are gorgeous!!!!
This is a super simple recipe and will taste a whole lot better than what comes out of the cans.
The Instant Pot Fresh Whole Beets will keep nicely in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Or, you can peel raw Beets and roast.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Sonder LA End Grain Teak Cutting Board, Juice Grooves & Compartments
- Salbree Steamer Basket
- Small 1.5 Quart “Pot in Pot” Mixing Bowl
- Lock N Lock Storage Container
- Reditainer Extreme Freezer Containers
- Freezer Labels
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Fresh Whole Beets
Instant Pot Fresh Whole BeetsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 bunches Fresh Beets
- 12 ounces (355 ml) Water
- 1 Steamer Basket
- Remove Stem with Leaves at about 1/4 inch from base of Beet. Wash and Scrub Beets. Do not peel.
- Place Beets into Steamer Basket
- Add Water to Instant Pot cooking pot and place Basket into cooking pot.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 7 minutes. When Beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release pressure.
- Remove Basket from Pressure Cooker and run under cool water. Using your fingers, rub the skin off the Beets.
- Cut into quarters and store Beets in an air tight container, covered with Fresh Water.
Cook Time for Beets
- Small Beets - 5 minutes
- Medium Beets (as pictured) - 7 minutes
- Large Beets - 10 minutes