Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Delicata Squash is a Cuban one pot dish, made with ground beef or turkey, rice and/or quinoa and Winter Squash.
As a result of growing up in Miami, Florida, I tend to do a lot of Asian and Cuban cooking. This Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Squash recipe, is a take off on a standard Cuban Picadillo recipe, that my dad’s wife used to make on the stove. With the help of my Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker I have turned that Picadillo recipe into a Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe.. The beauty is that everything cooks at the same time, in just one Pressure Cooker!
To make the already lean and healthy Picadillo healthier, I decided to use Quinoa in the recipe. I also decided to use a Delicata Squash to house the Picadillo and add even more health. Acorn Squash (another recipe), Pumpkin, Butternut, all are delicious and all will work well. Don’t let the health aspect deter you, this Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Delicata Squash is super delicious.
If you like Cuban food, try my Pressure Cooker Cuban Tortilla for breakfast.
When using a Pressure Cooker, some, well, actually, most vegetables will break down quickly. Therefore, if you want them to cook, yet stay in tact, rough chop them.
The Spanish Olives are totally optional. Use them or don’t; it is your preference. If you do use them, leave them whole or cut them in half. Again, your preference.
Before beginning to cook, make sure your Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker is fully heated. Select Sauté, Browning, whatever Button on your Pressure Cooker will allow you to heat up your pot. Adding a fat after a Stainless Steel Pot is fully heated, will help make that Pot, non stick.
So, heat the pot and then add some oil. Add in the onions and Sauté for a couple of minutes. Add in the Bay Leaves, Green Peppers and your ground meat. I used turkey here. Ground Beef, Chicken, Bison, Turkey, Pork, all of it will work.
After the onions have begun to caramelize a bit, add in the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Use the wine to deglaze your pot. Make sure any bits that were stuck to the bottom of the cooking pot, are no longer stuck. Add in the seasonings and the diced tomatoes. If you want to use Cherry Tomatoes instead, cut them in half before adding.
I wanted to make a super healthy meal, so I used half Rice and half Quinoa. I would have used all Quinoa, but my husband will not touch the stuff. Had I used all Quinoa, he would have noticed. Make sure to rinse the Rice and Quinoa really well. Quinoa has a bitter taste and much of it goes away, if you rinse it very well.
Here, feel free to use Homemade Bone Broth, Broth/Stock, Tomato Juice or Water. Whatever liquid you want to use is fine. The flavor will change depending on what you use, so mix it up each time you make this and you will have another flavor for your taste buds to enjoy.
I like to use Delicata Squash for this Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe, as the flavor adds to the Picadillo very nicely. Some people like to cook their squash after it has been cleaned and sliced and others like to cook the squash whole. My preference is whole, as I like a firmer, less wet texture.
Place a Stainless Steel Trivet (long legged) into your Pressure Cooker cooking pot. Place the squash on top. In the above photos, you can see that I used one Delicata Squash, cleaned and one whole.
You cannot even see the Quinoa, unless you look closely. So, if you have someone in your household that refuses to eat Quinoa, well, I think you know the trick! 🙂 My problem went deeper however. My hubs won’t eat squash either! A super simple Squash recipe for you to try is my Pressure Cooker Simple Sweet Acorn Squash recipe.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Paring Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Salbree Steamer Basket
- Stainless Steel Trivet
- Homemade Bone Broth
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Pressure Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Delicata SquashPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound Ground Beef Turkey, Chorizo, Pork, Chicken, or a combination
- 3 pound Delicata Squash
- 1 large Yellow/Brown Onion rough chopped
- 4 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Dry White Wine or Dry Sherry
- 6 oz Jasmine Rice or Quinoa, rinsed
- 6 oz Chicken Stock/Broth or Fresh Water
- 10 oz Diced Tomatoes with liquid
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/3 cup Spanish Olives with Pimento chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Juice from Spanish Olives Jar
- 1/3 cup Raisins optional
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano dried
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin ground
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper Freshly ground, to taste
- Select Sauté or Browning on your Pressure Cooker and allow to fully heat.
- Add Olive Oil. Add onions and cook until the edges begin to caramelize, about three minutes.
- Add ground meat, garlic and Bay Leaf and cook until slightly browned. Drain excess fat.
- Pour in White Wine (or water/broth) and deglaze the pot, making sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Add Rice/Quinoa, Diced Tomatoes/Cherry Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Stuffed Olives, raisins (if using), Oregano, Cumin, Water, Salt and Pepper.
- Place Trivet over food and place Squash on Trivet.
- Lock on Lid and Close Pressure Valve.
- Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Remove Squash, cut in half and clean. Stuff with meat mixture. Top with cheese if desired.