Rich and delicious Simple Dulce de Leche Recipe is buttery, creamy and sweet. Perfect for topping ice cream and dunking apple slices.
Growing up in Miami, Dulce de Leche was every where. It was in every bakery. It was in every restaurant. It was in every deli. It was everywhere. You couldn’t get away from it. 🙂 That’s because it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOO very good!
I’m told that Dulce de Leche Recipe was first made popular in Argentina and then spread to other Latin Countries. Living in South Miami in the 70’s was almost akin to actually living in Cuba. By the mid-80’s you would think you were in Cuba. The food, the desserts, the coffee, oh my!!! Love.
My first time making this Simple Dulce de Leche Recipe, was in my Slow Cooker. I was taught to pour the Sweetened Condensed Milk into Kerr Half Pint (8 oz) Mason Jars, as opposed to cooking right in the cans. Would you believe that I am still using the same Mason Jars from years ago?
Pro Tip: I do not suggest making dulce de leche in the can as there is too much of a chance of leeching aluminum for my comfort.
Choose your favorite brand of Sweetened Condensed Milk. There are a few that I like best. I love using the Longevity Brand and like to use it in my Vietnamese Coffee. I used to like to use the La Lechera brand too, until I decided not to use Nestle products, if I can avoid. The Eagle Brand is something that is probably in most grocery stores and works really well.
Can I Make Vegan Dulce de Leche?
Yes, use Nature’s Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk which is quite tasty and it makes a very nice vegan dulce de leche.
How to Make Dulce de Leche
- All you will need are a couple of cans of sweetened condensed milk and a three Half-Pint Wide Mouth Canning Jars.
- For gift giving and/or to make smaller amounts, use six 4 ounce wide mouth canning jars. This size is nice for gift giving with some apples.
Is Dulce de Leche Better in Instant Pot or Slow Cooker?
- This is totally personal preference. While dulce de leche is quicker using the pressure cooker or Instant Pot, if I’m making a lot, I prefer to use my slow cooker.
- Plus, I can put them into the slow cooker and go to bed and not worry about waiting around.
Two cans of sweetened condensed milk will fit into three Half Pint Mason Jars.
Can Dulce de Leche be Frozen?
- Yes, tighten the tops and after cooling off, it is safe to put the dulce de leche into the freezer.
Make sure not to over tighten the lids.
If using a Slow Cooker, cover the Three Mason Jars with water. Make sure the water is at least an inch over the top of the Jars. The bigger your Slow Cooker, the more Jars you can put into the Slow Cooker. I used my 7 Quart Slow Cooker here. They unfortunately don’t make this model anymore.
I also have two of the 6 Quart KitchenAid Slow Cookers, which I like just as much. If I told you I owned nine Slow Cookers, would you believe me? That is not even counting the Slow Cooker function on all my Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
Some Pressure Cookers are also Slow Cookers, so you will have the best of both Worlds. You can choose if you want to Slow Cook or Pressure Cook your Simple Dulce de Leche Recipe. I decide how I want to cook my Dulce del Leche depending on amount and/or time.
You’ll have to find your sweet spot for this Pressure Cooker Simple Dulce de Leche Recipe. I like mine nice and dark, so I cook for 40 minutes. For the smaller Ball 4 oz Mason Jars, start with 30 minutes.
If using your Slow Cooker, you can take a peek after 9 hours, to check on the darkness of the Dulce de Leche. As I said, I usually go for 11 hours and start this procedure before I go to bed.
Leave undisturbed until the Canning Jars have cooled. You can then stir them up if you like, or just put right into the refrigerator.
If you would like some labels to use for gifts, you may print these out, if you like.
What a wonderful idea, Marla. This makes such a perfect gift for teachers, mailmen, parties, housewarmings and more. Thank you for sharing your photo!
If you want to package your gifts like this, check out these awesome Gift/Treat Bags. They are adorable and the price is right!
There are so many uses for this Simple Dulce de Leche Recipe. Top one of my Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecakes with this sticky goodness. We like to dip in apples, for a nice and cool snack. Drizzle over ice cream, warm and pour over pancakes and waffles. Add a dollop to your coffee (Cuban and Vietnamese Coffee recipes posting soon).
More Dessert Recipes to Make:
- Quick Air Fryer Doughnuts [Glazed & Cinnamon Sugar]
- Pressure Cooker Red White and Blue Cheesecake Singles
- Instant Pot Apple Crisp + Video
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Bundt Cake w/Butterscotch
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- KitchenAid 6-Qt. Slow Cooker
- Kerr Half Pint (8 oz) Mason Jars
- Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Gift/Treat Bags
- Stainless Steel Trivet
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 2 cans Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz each)
- Pour the Sweetened Condensed Milk evenly into three Mason Jars.
- Place on the lids and tighten.
- Add a Trivet to the Pressure Cooker cooking pot. Place Jars on Trivet. Fill Pressure Cooker with water to 1/2 inch below the rim of the Jars.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve.
- Cook at High Pressure for 40 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, allow a full Natural Pressure Release.
- Carefully remove jars to a cooling rack. Remove rings and after 15 minutes, remove lid and stir. Place lid back on and leave undisturbed, until cool. Transfer to the refrigerator.
- Place jars in Slow Cooker and fill with water to at least one inch above the jars.
- Cook on LOW for 9-11 hours, checking at 9 hours to see if the color is to your preference.
- Carefully remove the jars from the Slow Cooker to a cooling rack. Remove the rings. Leave undisturbed, until cool. Transfer to the refrigerator.