You won’t believe how easy it is to make seriously delicious Southern Style Old Fashion Buttermilk Biscuits with very few ingredients.
Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy, ummmmmmm….. We were out camping in our RV and decided we wanted some Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy for breakfast.
The recipe calls for Buttermilk, but I rarely have that on hand, so I’ve created a post to show you hot to Make Your Own Buttermilk Substitution ! I like to bake my biscuits in a Cast Iron Skillet, but they come out great on a cookie sheet too.
My secret to great Southern Style Old Fashion Buttermilk Biscuits, is that I freeze the stick of butter and then use a Course Hand Grater and grate the frozen butter right into the flour mixture and combine with the flour until I get coarse crumbs.
My preference is a Thin Rolling Pin and I like the biscuits to be tall, so I roll out the dough to about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick and use the RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Biscuit Cutter to cut into medium circles.
After you have cut out the biscuits, you’ll have a bit of dough left. I don’t like to waste, so I roll out all the excess dough and hand shape it and place it on the Cast Iron Skillet with the last batch.
Those last few aren’t pretty, but still tastes delish. The rest of them are beautiful though! 🙂 Once you break them up and pour on the Southern Style Sausage Gravy, no one will know, so use those funny shaped ones first!
There is nothing better than Southern Style Old Fashion Buttermilk Biscuits.
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- 1.5 Quart Stainless Steel Bowl
- Microplane Artisan Fine Cheese Grater
- Thin Rolling Pin
- RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Biscuit Cutter
- Lodge 10.25″ Cast Iron Skillet
- Silicone BBQ Brush
- Self Rising Flour
- Make Your Own Buttermilk Substitution
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Old Fashion Buttermilk BiscuitsPrint Pin Rate
- Preheat the oven to 475 F.
- In a large bowl sift together the self rising flour and salt.
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture and gently combine with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and gently mix with a fork until it all comes together.
- Flour a flat surface and turn out the dough and knead it 10 to 15 times. (Sprinkle on some flour if you need to so it will come together in a ball so it's less sticky.)
- Roll out dough to 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick and use a biscuit cutter to cut medium to small circles.
- Place in a cast iron skillet or on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush on melted butter.
- Cover with towel to keep warm
* If you use salted butter instead of unsalted butter, decrease the amount of salt you add.
A standard pastry blender can be used instead of the cheese grater