Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars are a refreshing Summer treat, but great to eat any time of the year.
With the popularity of my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt and Instant Pot Noosa Yogurt recipes, I wanted to break in my new Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 in style. What better way than another Yogurt recipe? My Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars recipe has been a long time coming and I am glad to finally get it posted up for everyone.
This is a very simple recipe and it is very customizable.
Jump to Section
- Yogurt, Heavy Cream, Half & Half
- Chocolate Bars – Both the Ibarra brand and the Abuelita brand will work. They taste very similar. I also like to use the Diana Chocolate Bars (from Colombia), which is my favorite.
Pro Tip: In the Winter, I use my Cocoa Latte Machine with the Chocolate Bars and make yummy Hot Chocolate. It is so much better than the powdered stuff!
Sanitize the Instant Pot
- Using the steam function, add one cup of water and set pressure cook time to 2 minutes.
- This is an optional step. If you are one that does not clean the lid of your Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 often, please do not skip this step. The new Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 makes it even easier, with the addition of the Sanitize Button.
I like to think this Button was added because of my very popular and famous Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe, which has taken the IP Community by storm. Hehehe, I don’t know if that is the reason, but a girl can dream. 🙂
As with commercial Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream, you can choose to make your Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars, light, full fat or somewhere in between. Using all Cream, will give the creamiest and softest Yogurt Bar, while using Fat Free, will make your Yogurt Bar harder, more like an Icicle. For me, Half and Half and Cream, work best.
Remember, Yogurt is not cooked under Pressure. BTW, I love that the “Manual” button has been replaced with the “Pressure Cook” button. Some people did not realize that the Instant Pot is the name of the pot and it is, among other things, a true Pressure Cooker.
Notice that instead of the Black Lid with the Pressure Valve, I have chosen to use a Glass Lid instead. Yogurt making is not done under pressure, so the Lid can be removed at any time. You do not have to use the Glass Lid, but it does make it easier to lift the lid on and off. Your regular Black Lid is fine. It also does not matter if the Pressure Valve is sealed or not; however, I do push mine to Seal when I use the regular Lid.
Also note, there is no “Adjust” Button on this new Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, which makes Yogurt making easier. Just keep pushing the Button until the display reads Boil. The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 will remember where you left off, which makes things easier. If you do not have the new Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, please check out my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe, to learn how and which Buttons to push on your Instant Pot Smart or Instant Pot DUO.
Once the Boil Cycle has finished, the Display will read Yogt. This means it is time to remove the lid and take the temperature.
With such a small amount of Milk, there is no reason for you not to get up to at least 180 degrees on one Boil Cycle. Give the Milk a good Whisk and then take the temperature with a good Digital Thermometer.
Remove the Cooking Pot from the Instant Pot and place it into a sink full of cold water. It needs to drop in temperature, before you can add the Starter. While the Milk is cooling, prepare the Mexican Hot Chocolate Bar(s).
The Mexican Hot Chocolate Bars are super hard, so I like to take a hammer to them and then crush them in my Mini Food Chopper. Dump in the Chocolate and Whisk it into your Milk as it is cooling down. The amount you use, depends on how Chocolately you want your Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars. You can also add in some sugar, after incubation, to sweet up the Yogurt, to your preference.
For those who like a subtle flavor, add less Chocolate Ibarra. For a heavier Chocolate flavor, add more! I love the warm spices and the subtle touch of sweetness with Mexican Hot Chocolate.
The Milk will cool down pretty quickly. Make sure you Whisk the Milk before taking the temperature. Once the Milk has cooled down enough, mix in the Starter and you are ready to incubate. It really does not matter if you Add the Mexican Chocolate Bars before or after cool down.
Pour in the Starter and Whisk in it well. No need to temper the Starter. It’s not a necessity anyway. If you want to know why I temper the Starter in my Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe, shoot me a message and I’ll tell you. 🙂
As I mentioned above, the Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, will remember the Yogurt settings. So, when you push the button this time, it will say 24:00 and “Less.” The bar under the time means “Less” when it is situated to the left. Push it again to show Boil (the display bar is now to the right, indicating “More”) and then again to show 8:00 and “Normal,” which is in the middle. At this point, use the “-” button and adjust down to 6:00.
Please note: When using “Less” to proof bread, the time on the Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 COUNTS UP!!! Check to make sure the position of the Rectangular Lighted Display (“Normal”) is in the MIDDLE. The “Less” function is for proofing Bread.
You can use your Whey and make Yogurt Whey Crusty Bread in your GoWise Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot. The Instant Pot DUO & Instant Pot Smart work very similarly to the GoWise Pressure Cooker. If you decide to strain this Mexican Hot Chocolate Yogurt, you can use the whey for my Yogurt Whey Crusty Bread and make a yummy Chocolate Crusty Bread!
There is a company by me that makes Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Bars and those Bars have bits of crunchy pieces of the Mexican Hot Chocolate. Yum. Give the Yogurt a taste and add in some Brown Sugar and/or White Sugar, if you want a sweeter Frozen Yogurt (most people will need to sweeten the Yogurt). Strain or don’t strain, it is up to you. Straining off some of the Whey will make the Yogurt Bars less firm and more creamy.
Crack up some more of the Mexican Hot Chocolate. Make sure you leave some big pieces, so that when you add more Crumbles into the Yogurt, some of them will melt and some will stay in bits, for that crunch. Keep tasting and add enough of the Mexican Hot Chocolate crumbles, until you get the exact taste you like.
If you prefer to eat your Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars in a bowl, try using a cute Silicone Flower Mold. As Yogurt will be hard, allow to warm in a bowl for 10 minutes before eating.
Enjoy your Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Bars any time! Please check out the new Instant Pot DUO Plus 60. I am really loving this improved versions. It is so much easier to use.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- 6 oz Porcelain Ramekins
- Digital Thermometer
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Popsicle Molds
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Instant Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Frozen Yogurt BarsPrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
Sterilize Your Pot (Under Pressure)
- Add three cups of water to Instant Pot cooking pot, lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Push the Sterilize button, then Pressure button to change to High and then the "-" button and adjust down to 5 minutes. When Beep is heard, do a Quick Release. When all pressure has been released, remove lid and dump out the water. Dry and cool off cooking pot.
Make Yogurt (Not Under Pressure)
- Pour Milk/Cream into cool Pressure Cooker cooking pot. Cover with IP Lid or Glass Lid. Push Yogurt button twice (or until is says boil).
- When Beep sounds, remove Lid and take temperature, which should read 180 degrees. Remove cooking pot to sink full of cold water and cool down to 95-110 degrees. Place pot back into Instant Pot.
- Add Starter and whisk together. Add smashed Mexican Chocolate (reserving 1/2 bar for after incubation) and replace Lid. Press Yogurt button until it says 8:00/Normal. Adjust down to 6:00/Normal. Time should count UP, not down.
- When time is up, whisk yogurt and sugar, if desired. Taste and add more Mexican Chocolate, leaving some in Crumbles, if desired. Pour yogurt into Popsicle Mold(s) and place in freezer.