South Florida is famous for Key West Key Lime Pie. With a Graham Cracker Crust and sweetly tart filling, you will dream of being in the tropics.
Key West Key Lime Pie
As a result of growing up in Miami and spending weekends in the keys, I’ve had Key Lime Pie from all over South Florida.
A real Key Lime Pie only has a few ingredients.
I like to bake pies in my Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, but…….
I have added an option in the recipe down below, for those who want to use their Pressure Cooker.
This Key West Key Lime Pie fits perfectly in a 7 inch Cheesecake/Push Pan.
Add graham crackers into the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse until small crumbs form.
Add melted butter and combine.
Push the crumbs only slightly up the edge of the pan.
While the Crust is baking, prepare the Filling.
In an Electric Hand Mixer, fitted with a wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing until just combined.
Pour mixture into the crust and then bake.
After the pie is cooked, you’ll add the a thin layer of sweetened sour cream and then refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Cut the number of pieces you will need and put them in the freezer while you are making the whipped cream topping.
I was serving the whole pie, so I added the whipped topping to the pie, prior to serving.
Garnish the Key West Key Lime Pie with Lime Zest. This microplane does a nice job. Don’t grab the pith.
Make your own Homemade Whipped Cream to serve with the Key West Key Lime Pie.
Serve wedges with a dollop of whipped cream and a garnish with bit of Key Lime Zest.
Whip cream and confectioners’ sugar until nearly stiff and pipe along edge of pie.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Microplane Stainless Steel Zester
- KitchenAid Hand Mixer
- Lodge 10.25″ Cast Iron Skillet
- 11 Cup Food Processor
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Key West Key Lime PiePrint Pin Rate
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ teaspoon Key Lime Zest
- 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup Key Lime Juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron pan or springform pan.
- Add graham crackers and sugar into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until small crumbs form. Add melted butter and combine.
- Press crumb mixture into pan, forming a neat border around the edge and slightly up the sides.
- Bake until set and golden, about 8 minutes, and set aside. Keep oven on.
- In an electric mixer with a wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until filling has just set. Cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- Mix together sour cream and confectioners' sugar until well combined. Spread thin layer over Pie. Refrigerate, until ready to serve.
- Prepare my Homemade Perfect Whipped Cream before serving. Using a Food Processor or Electric Hand Mixer, whip heavy cream and sugar together until stiff peaks form. Pipe on top of pie and garnish with Lime Zest Garnish.
For Pressure Cooker
- Use a 7 inch Pan. Add 1.5 cups of water to pressure cooker cooking pot and place a Trivet in pot. Using a Foil Sling, lower Pan into Pressure Cooker.Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes.When Beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release all pressure. Cool on a wire rack.