Pressure Cooker Grandma’s Quick Egg Custard is an Old World Classic British dessert, which is very smooth, light and airy.
This smooth Pressure Cooker Grandma’s Quick Egg Custard is a cinch to make. It is light and airy and just sweet enough. It is a Classic Dessert with the British.
The beauty of this Pressure Cooker Grandma’s Egg Custard, is that there is no real advance planning. Surprise company, no worries. Baked Egg Custard is delicious, but takes one hour. With the Pressure Cooker, you can mix up a batch, pop it in your Pressure Cooker and serve it to your guests in less than 30 minutes.
It is a great spur of the moment dessert. Plus, you don’t have to heat up the kitchen.
Super simple, with just a few ingredients. If you want different flavors, try some coconut extract, or chocolate for variety.
You can make your Pressure Cooker Grandma’s Egg Custard as sweet as you like, so if you prefer less sweet just use less sugar. Cinnamon and Nutmeg are great to use too.
Add the milk and vanilla and beat at a low speed until blended. Be careful not to over mix!!!
Pour mixture into a Pressure Cooker safe bowl. I use Dessert Pans that are similar to the Cooks Essential Dessert Pans, as they fit perfectly and nest, so that you can cook two things at once, covered. My Dessert Pans have vent holes in the cover. My Dessert Pans are 7.25 inches by about 4 inches tall. If the above dessert pans are sold out, I recommend the Tiffin Pan Set (w/mini pans). They are really Spice Containers, but work well as Dessert Pans!
The Cooks Essential Dessert Pans do not have vent holes. If you have this set, either drill a couple of holes into the cover, or use aluminum foil instead of the cover and poke a couple of holes.
Make sure that your lid has holes for venting, as steam must be able to escape!
The cover has two little holes, which will prevent the water that is in the bottom of the Pressure Cooker cooking pot from pooling inside the pan and allow the right amount of liquid/steam to escape.
The Cooks Essentials Dessert Pans come with a locking mechanism, but I lost mine, so I made a foil sling. If the above dessert pans are sold out, I recommend the Tiffin Pan Set (w/mini pans). They are really Spice Containers, but work well as Dessert Pans!
- Instant Pot Smart DUO60
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- KitchenAid Hand Mixer
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
Pressure Cooker Dessert Pansare out of stock but the Tiffin Pan Set (w/mini pans) will work just as well
- Microplane Stainless Steel Zester
- Trivet/Steam Rack
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 4 cups Milk, 1%, 2% or Whole
- 6 Eggs, large
- ¾ cup of Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, optional
- Tiniest pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Round Stainless Steel Bowl*
- Dusting of Nutmeg
- Fresh Fruit
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk, sugar, salt and vanilla and blend until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into Pressure Cooker safe bowl and cover with foil or lid. Lid/foil needs venting holes.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot and place trivet in bottom.
- Place bowl on top of trivet.
- Lock lid and close Pressure Valve and cook at High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Top with a dusting of nutmeg, berries or other fruit, if desired.
If you use Pyrex/glass, the cooking time will be longer, 9-10 minutes, depending on the depth and size of bowls.
If using Ramekins/Custard Cups, cover with foil and poke small vent holes. Cook for 2 minutes.
*It is essential to use the proper pan insert to achieve a perfect custard in 7 minutes. A longer cook time for a smaller, but deeper/taller bowl, will not work and will make scrambled eggs!