Thịt Nướng Vietnamese BBQ Pork is used on top of Bun Thịt Nướng (Vietnamese BBQ Pork Cold Noodle Salad) and in other Vietnamese dishes.
One of my favorite Vietnamese meals is Bun Thịt Nướng (Vietnamese BBQ Pork Cold Noodle Salad). I absolutely love the cold rice noodle salad. I used to eat it about three times a week at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Los Angeles, called Pho No. 1.
When I moved away, I was determined to learn how to make the dish myself.
After trying several recipes I found on line, I was able to combine ingredients to achieve the taste that I had remembered for this Thịt Nướng Vietnamese BBQ Pork. Oh my gosh, this is so good, but, plan a head, the Thịt Nướng (BBQ pork) tastes much better if marinated overnight.
My favorite brand of fish sauce is Three Crabs Fish Sauce, which is sold in Asian markets. You will also need Black Soy Sauce, or you can make your own Nuoc Mau Caramel Sauce. Whiz all the ingredients up in a Vitamix or other blender until well combined and then place in a container or heavy duty storage bag and add in the meat.
Put the Thịt Nướng Vietnamese BBQ Pork with the marinade into the refrigerator and allow to marinade overnight. You will want to make your Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce) at the same time and also refrigerate overnight. The next day, grill the meat over hot coals until cooked and a bit charred.
Serve the Thịt Nướng Vietnamese BBQ Pork on top of my Bun Thịt Nướng (Vietnamese BBQ Pork Cold Noodle Salad) with Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce).
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk – a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- OXO Good Grips Cutting Board
- VitaMix Creations
- OXO Stainless Steel Tongs
- Extra Large Charcoal Grill
- Weber Chimney Starter
- Three Crabs Fish Sauce
- Nuoc Mau Vietnamese Caramel Sauce
- Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce)
Here is your handy printable recipe:
- 2 pounds Pork Shoulder, sliced
- 1½ to 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Shallots, minced
- 1 stalk (3 TBL) Lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper, ground
- 1½ teaspoon Nuoc Mau Caramel Sauce
- 1½ Tablespoon Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Put all ingredients except meat into VitaMix or food processor and process until well combined.
- In a large freezer bag or container, add meat and more in marinade.
- Allow meat to marinate overnight.
- Cook meat in wire grilling basket over hot coals and allow edges to char a bit.
- Serve on top of Bun Thịt Nướng (Vietnamese BBQ Pork & Rice Noodles).
Lemongrass is a Northern thing, Southerners don't use it when making Thịt nướng Bun.