Pizza is a must in this house, as I have a pizza loving husband from New York. It took years to figure out a sauce recipe that he says is as good as “New York Pizza.”
This is the thick sauce we use for pizza with toppings.
We use a different sauce when making Margherita Pizza.
I generally make a double batch and freeze in ice cube trays and then transfer to a freezer bag for use throughout the month.
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Ultimate Pizza SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Yellow/Brown Onion chopped well
- 1/4 cup Fresh Celery chopped well
- 1 Fresh Garlic minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds crushed
- In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until soft and transparent.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
- Simmer for 20-45 minutes, or until desired taste is reached
- Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to achieve desired consistency.
If you leave out the fennel seed the recipe will be delicious, but if you use the fennel seeds, the recipe will be absolutely incredible.
I double or triple the recipe and freeze in ice cube trays, then transfer cubes to a freezer bag for pizza nights.