Pressure Cooker President Obama’s Short Ribs are braised in Lemongrass, Plum Sauce, Red Wine, Stock and Ginger, then combined with Spring Vegetables.
As you can tell from my recipes, I am a huge fan of food from the Orient.
Growing up in Miami, afforded me, many wonderful flavors at an early age.
It was always such a treat to go out to dinner.
Miami had lots and lots of Chinese, Japanese and Thai food restaurants already in place, when I was a kid.
Cuban restaurants started popping up in the early 70’s. My Yuca Fries with Creamy Curry Mustard Sauce are very Miami!
It’s a very diverse place and one I love.
In 2011, Marcus Samuelsson, owner of the Red Rooster Harlem Restaurant, hosted a campaign fund raiser dinner for President Barak Obama for the 2012 election.
He chose Short Ribs, with an Asian flare for the main course. What an awesome choice, but not surprising as he is a man of good taste.
Short Ribs are a tough cut of meat, which are perfect for cooking in the under pressure.
Short Ribs are great to cook in advance, as they taste better the longer they sit and fuse with the braising liquid.
Plus, you can easily remove the layer of fat!
If you love Short Ribs, try my Pressure Cooker Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, which are equally as delicious.
Heat up the Pressure Cooker.
Use Tongs and Sear on all sides.
Then they are removed to a Plate.
Lemongrass, Plum Sauce, fresh ginger, oh my!
Did I mention that I am a HUGE, HUGE fan?
The Brown Bits in the bottom of the Pressure Cooker have tons of flavor.
As the veggie cook, some of the Brown Bits will loosen and add flavor to the vegetables.
My di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set holds up really well with a higher heat and are perfect for scraping up the Fond (brown bits).
Garlic burns easily, so make sure to add the Minced Garlic after the Veggies are soft.
Deglaze with a good quality Red Wine.
The Plum Sauce adds a wonderful fruity flavor.
Add the aromatics and let the braising liquid come to a boil.
Sink the Short Ribs into the delicious veggie sauce and aromatics.
Don’t the Short Ribs look happy in their Steam Bath? 🙂
The luscious liquid and veggies will make a delicious rich Sauce.
The Vegetables and the Braising Liquid will become the Sauce for the Pressure Cooker President Obama’s Short Ribs.
Remove the Short Ribs to a plate and prepare the Sauce.
Strain the Vegetables from the Braising Liquid.
Use a Fat Separator to remove the Fat off the top of the Braising Liquid
If making this in advance, place the liquid in the refrigerator and the Fat will rise and make it easy to remove.
Use a Food Processor to Puree all the Vegetables.
Combine some of the Braising Liquid with the Vegetable Puree
The Braising Liquid is so delicious. Save some in Ice Cube Trays.
Use as “Flavor Bombs” in other recipes It will be come your secret Flavor Booster for other meals, like my Pressure Cooker Simmered Chicken recipe, or slip a cube into my Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes recipe.
If made the day before, warm up the Pressure Cooker President Obama’s Short Ribs in the Pressure Cooker.
If eating the same day, after removing the Fat from the Braising Liquid and making the Sauce, place Ribs back into Pressure Cooker with Sauce and keep warm, until ready to serve.
These Pressure Cooker President Obama’s Short Ribs are delicious and fancy enough to serve at a formal dinner party. Serve with Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob and a slice of Pressure Cooker Cornbread
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- di Oro Living Silicone Spatulas Set
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board
- Salbree 3 quart, 6 quart or 8 quart Steamer/Strainer Basket
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Cuisinart Large Food Processor
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- OXO Stainless Steel Tongs
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 8-10 English Cut Short Ribs
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
- 1 medium Yellow/Brown Onion chopped
- 1 Carrots peeled/chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 1 stalk Lemongrass trimmed/smashed/minced
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger Root peeled/minced
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 2.5 cups Beef Broth beef/chicken
- 1/2 cup Plum Sauce
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce, Low Sodium low sodium
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 sprigs Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Freshly Grated Horseradish for serving
- Rinse off Short Ribs to remove any bone chards and pat dry. Season with Salt and Pepper and set aside. Cut, chop, mince all Vegetables and set aside, keeping the Garlic separate.
- Select Sauté/Browning on Pressure Cooker and allow to fully heat. Pour in Grapeseed Oil. Add Short Ribs in batches and Brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add all Vegetables, except Garlic to cooking pot. Sauté for about 5 minutes, while scraping the brown bits off the bottom. Add Minced Garlic and mix through.
- Pour in wine and thoroughly deglaze cooking pot. Allow Liquid to come to a slow boil. Add Beef Broth, Plum Sauce, Soy Sauce and allow to bubble. Add Thyme, Parsley and Bay Leaves. Return Short Ribs to Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
- Lock on Lid an close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 40 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, wait 15 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove Short Ribs to a plate. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain Braising Liquid into a Fat Separator.
- Remove Thyme and Bay Leaves and place Vegetables into Food Processor. Process until smooth.
- Add 1.5 cups of defatted Braising Liquid into Food Processor and blend to combine.
- Pour Sauce back into Pressure Cooker cooking pot. Taste and add Salt and/or Pepper, if needed.
- Return Short Ribs to cooking pot and simmer until hot.
- Plate Short Ribs and pour Sauce over top.