Shakshuka (Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce) is a delicious Israeli breakfast treat, which bakes up quickly in the oven.
Shakshuka is a spicy baked egg dish, originally from North Africa. It is a favorite breakfast dish in Israel.
I love cooking it in a 10 inch Cast Iron Skillet. Make sure to heat the skillet before adding the oil!
The Feta Cheese is totally an optional ingredient. It adds a nice creaminess and pungent flavor to the dish.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Make:
- Instant Pot Egg Bites (Feta Cheese & Red Pepper)
- Air Fryer Sweet Polenta Breakfast Bites
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Pancakes
- Sausage Feta Eggs Breakfast Scramble Low Carb/Keto
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow/Brown Onion sliced thin
- 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded sliced thin
- 3 Fresh Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or to taste
- 28 ounce Whole Tomatoes in Purée coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Sea Salt or taste
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper or to taste
- 5 ounces Feta cheese crumbled (optional)
- 6 large Eggs
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves chopped
- Hot Sauce
- Heat Cast Iron Skillet over medium low heat and then add oil.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Whisk in cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes with the juice, salt, pepper and simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in feta.
- Carefully crack eggs over tomatoes in skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet into preheated 350 degree oven and bake until egg whites are set, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and dots of hot sauce.