Crispy on the outside and moist and creamy on the inside, “Jewish Style” Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes make a perfect Friday Night meal.
Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes
I grew up with Salmon Croquettes. It is one of the few things I remember my mother cooking.
It was actually really good too….even when I was not really a fish eater.
While I love the Pan-Fried version, the Air Fryer does a really good job making an Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes version.
The most time consuming part of making Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes, is removing the skin and bones from the Salmon.
We love to fish, so we have caught our own Salmon and made Salmon Croquettes.
Canned Salmon comes rolled up and there are usually four layers.
What I find easiest, is to break the layers apart and work with one piece at a time.
Rinse each layer under cool running water, as you rub off the skin and pull out the backbone and small bones.
Take your time on this part, as you don’t want to choke on a bone and then place the clean fish in a Medium Mixing Bowl.
I’m also sensitive to fishy tasting fish, so I remove the darker color Salmon too.
See that little Mason Jar in the bottom left of the photo?
That is my Lemon Dill Aioli. You are going to want to make up a batch of it and pop it in the refrigerator.
Take a Hand or Box Grater and grate up the Carrot and the Onion.
“Jewish Mom Style” refers to the fact that my mother, I assume, used Matzo Meal, rather than Seasoned Breadcrumbs. I would imagine she also added various seasonings, but I cannot remember exactly. Salmon Croquettes are popular during Passover and Matzo Meal is used in place of breadcrumbs for many recipes.
A delicious Passover Recipe is my Pressure Cooker Passover Vegetable Lasagna.
It has been so long since I have made Salmon Croquettes and my memories are a bit rusty. I do remember that she did not dredge the Croquettes in Flour/Starch or Breadcrumbs prior to frying.
After scanning a bunch of Salmon Croquette recipes on line, it would appear that most people use Italian Seasonings. It makes sense, since Seasoned Breadcrumbs are pretty much breadcrumbs and Italian Seasoning. For all I know, she might have used Seasoned Breadcrumbs at times.
I also noticed that most people do dredge the Croquettes in Breadcrumb prior to cooking. My Crab Cakes recipe (coming soon) is mostly Lump Crab and I don’t dredge those either.
The Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes recipe makes one dozen Salmon Croquettes.
Here is my Article on how to Properly Season/Grease Air Fryer Basket.
This will help, so that food does not stick to the surface of the Air Fryer Basket.
You may have to Air Fry the Salmon Croquettes in two or more batches.
My large Go Wise Air Fryer, nicely fits six Salmon Croquettes.
The larger Philips Avalance, will just fit five Croquettes at a time.
It uses a pump action and after pumping, it sprays continuously to be able to spay the Croquettes really well.
You may think you are using a lot of Oil, but you will be surprised.
Serve the Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes with my Lemon Dill Aioli on the side.
Pair the meal with my Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes and a nice Green Salad.
For a nice lunch or brunch, prepare a salad of greens and place a couple of Salmon Croquettes right on top, with a dollop of Lemon Dill Aioli. That will make a beautiful presentation!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- Fine Life Oil Mister
- 3 ounce Porcelain Dipping/Condiment Bowls
- Sonder LA End Grain Teak Cutting Board, Juice Grooves & Compartments
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Bumble Bee Salmon Pink Salmon
- Matzo Meal or Italian Seasoned Breads
- Hand or Box Grater
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes
"Jewish Style" Air Fryer Salmon CroquettesPrint Pin Rate
- 2-14.75 ounce Bumble Bee Pink Salmon bones/skin removed
- 1 medium Carrots grated
- 1 small Yellow/Brown Onion grated
- 2 large Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Matzo Meal
- 1 Tblespoon Chives chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning Grinder
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Mix together Aioli and place in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Remove skin and bones from Salmon and place into medium bowl.
- Peel and grate Carrot. Grate Onion and squeeze out excess water and add to bowl with Salmon.
- Add Eggs, Mayonnaise, Carrot, Onions, Matzo Meal, Italian Seasonings, Chives, Lemon Juice, Salt, Pepper and mix together well.
- Form into 12 Patties 3 inches in diameter by about 3/4 inch thick. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Place Patties in a single layer into greased Air Fryer Basket and spray well with Oil. Cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes and then flip over. Spray again with Oil and cook 4 minutes, or until brown on both sides.
- Garnish with Chives and Lemon Zest. Serve with Lemon Dill Aioli.