Instant Pot Killer Shrimp is just as delicious as the restaurant. Shrimp simmers in a brine of beer, clam juice, tomatoes, butter and spices.Like the famous Marina del Rey Restaurant, Shrimp simmers in a luscious tomato, butter, beer and clam soup base. The Killer Soup is the STAR of the Killer Shrimp show and you are going to want a hot loaf of bread. For low carbers, serve Killer Shrimp over Mashed Cauliflower!
Making Killer Shrimp on the stove takes several hours for the flavors to infuse with the broth. With my Instant Pot Killer Shrimp recipe, all you need are the ingredients, an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker and a hot loaf of bread. It is ready to eat and on your table in under one hour.
Some people think the shrimp is the after thought and the main ingredient is the sauce with bread!
Jump to Section
Ingredients for Instant Pot Killer Shrimp
- Shrimp with Tails On
- Clam Juice
- Celery Seed
- Salt and Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Beer – Ale
- Tomato Paste
Pro Tip: Before making Instant Pot Killer Shrimp, I strongly suggest that you make a loaf of my Country Sourdough Bread Old World Style or my Instant Pot No Knead Bread. You will definitely want to soak up the very flavorful sauce.
Whether you make one of my Country Sourdough Bread Old World Style or my Instant Pot No Knead Bread recipes, you will definitely want to soak up the very flavorful sauce.
You can always purchase a good loaf of bread from your neighborhood bakery. Whichever way you choose, you really need some good bread…. Seriously. The liquid is Gold!
Combine the Thyme Leaf, Rosemary Leaf, Red Pepper Flakes, Fennel Seed and other dry seasonings together.
Use either a Mortar and Pestle or a mini food chopper and smash the seasonings.
They should be broken, but still recognizable. Lots of flavor will release from smashing the herbs and seasonings.
Drop in the seasonings that were just smashed, into the Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
Much of the flavor relies on really good stock, so don’t skimp here. If you have any homemade Pressure Cooker Bone Broth (Stock) in your freezer, get it defrosted.
If you don’t, it is really worth it to make your own Pressure Cooker Bone Broth (Stock).
Alternatively, you could use fresh water and Better Than Bouillon.
Add in the Tomato Paste, Clam Juice and Fresh Garlic.
Think of the broth as a hot bath for the shrimp.
Then after cooking, you will realize that the broth is actually the star of the show. Instant Pot Killer Shrimp is also delicious with rice. You can make my Instant Pot Perfectly Cooked Pot In Pot Rice at the same time as the Instant Pot Killer Shrimp all in the same pot!
Use a good whisk to whisk in the cold butter. I recommend the Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk. If you want your broth to be extra buttery, add in more butter.
Another way to enjoy Killer Shrimp is to pour the liquid gold over Pressure Cooker Mashed Turmeric Cauliflower Low Carb or Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Pressure Cooker).
The shells of the shrimp have a lot of flavor. Shrimp will quickly cook in the broth and pick up the flavors of all the spices and will infuse with the butter.
If this is the second time making Instant Pot Killer Shrimp, make sure to take the frozen reserved broth out of the freezer to defrost.
Save a Cup of Broth
- It’s been rumored that the restaurant takes a cup of broth from one batch and adds it to the new batch and so on and so on. I don’t know if that is actually true or not, but it certainly will intensify the flavors batch after batch.
- Before serving the first bowl of Killer Shrimp, grab a container, I use a Reditainer Extreme Freezer 8 ounce Containers and add just one up of broth.
- Let it cool and then freeze it. Next time you make Instant Pot Killer Shrimp, you will add in the reserved broth. Future batches will get better and better.
The liquid is really a spicy broth and perfect for ripping a chunk of bread from the loaf and dunking it right into the broth.
Each bowl should have a good serving of shrimp and lots and lots of broth, which you soak up with a good bread. If you want to make some rice at the same time as the Killer Shrimp, check out my Pressure Cooker Perfectly Cooked Pot in Pot Rice. Add the Pan of Rice after you have added the Beer.
More Instant Pot Shrimp Recipes to Make:
- Pressure Cooker Shrimp Po Boy Roll
- Instant Pot Dijon Shrimp Linguine
- Pressure Cooker Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Shrimp
- Instant Pot Seafood Corn Chowder [Soup / Stew]
Killer Shrimp pairs really well with Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Pasta.
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Simply Gourmet (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Porcelain & Bamboo Salt Box with Spoon
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- Reditainer Extreme Freezer 8 ounce Containers
- Freezer Labels
- Cuisinart Mini Prep Chopper
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Killer Shrimp [Copycat Recipe]Print Pin SaveSaved!
- 5 cloves Fresh Garlic chopped/diced small
- 1 stick Butter Kerrygold Butter is best
- 6 cups Chicken Stock/Broth (or 6 cups water + 6 TBL Betterthan Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Celery Seed
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 16 oz Claim Juice
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Beer Ale
- 1 cup Liquid from Prior Batch optional
- 1 ½ pounds Large Shrimp tails on
- 1 loaf Sourdough Bread
- Add chicken broth, minced garlic, clam juice and tomato paste to Instant Pot and whisk together
- Using a mortar and pestle, smash the rosemary, thyme, pepper, celery seed, fennel seed and pepper flakes enough that they remain whole but are broken to more easily release flavor. Alternatively, use a Mini Prep Chopper and pulverize the spices just to break apart.
- Mix spices into broth.
- Lock on lid and close pressure valve. Cook at high pressure (most machines default to high pressure) for 10 minutes.
- When Beep sounds, wait 15 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
- Open lid and stir in beer (if you have saved one cup from prior batch, add that in now too).
- Select Sauté/Browning on your Pressure Cooker and allow broth to come to a low simmer.
- Once liquid is simmering, add butter and mix through.
- Add shrimp (keep tails on for more flavor) and mix through.
- Once the shrimp are no longer transparent, they are ready to serve.
- Ladle shrimp and broth into bowls and serve with plenty of sliced crusty bread, for soaking up the delicious broth.
PIN this Pressure Cooker Copycat Killer Shrimp Recipe!