This Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich copycat recipe can be made at home, for less calories and fat, then from the restaurant. 😉
Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
Kentucky Fried Chicken Chicken Littles and Chick Filet-A Chicken Sandwiches are the bomb, right! I sometimes still will pick up Chicken Littles from KFC.
Anyway, since I have been using my Air Fryer so much, I have been trying to create, convert and utilize my Air Fryer a lot, since everything that comes out of my machine is just so dang delicious. While you will never get that deep fried taste, you can still have food that is pretty close, without worrying about clogging your arteries.
Hilah from Hilah Cooking has a nice copycat recipe, which she pan fries. It is delicious! Her Chick-fil-A recipe has inspired me to prepare this Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich using my Air Fryer.
If you want a fried version, check our Hilah’s video, as I don’t believe in taking a blogger’s recipe and plopping it on my blog, unless it is being converted to a totally different cooking method.
Place the chicken breast in a large Ziploc Baggie and zip it locked. Place the bag of chicken on a wooden cutting board.
Use a Meat Tenderizer and pound the chicken until it is about 1/2 inch thick and/or pretty even across the board.
Don’t throw out this bag after pounding!
Depending on the size of your Chicken Breasts, cut them in half or in thirds.
The Breasts above, were pretty big, so I cut them into thirds.
Place the baggie into the refrigerator and allow to marinate at least one hour. The Pickle Juice acts as a brine, really. It will plump and salt the chicken, to make it extra juicy while Air Frying.
The Chicken is not going to taste like one big ole pickle!
Then just toss into my freezer for when a sudden Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich craving hits.
For a low carb version, try my Low Carb Chicken Schnitzel recipe!
In one Mixing Bowl, prepare the flour and seasonings mixture. In another Mixing Bowl, crack open the eggs and Whisk together well. For this recipe, because the chicken is skinless, I do not recommend using Potato Starch. It will dry out the chicken.
Drop one piece of chicken at a time into the Egg/Milk Mixture. Use Silicone Coated Tongs (you don’t want to scratch your Air Fryer) and pick up the chicken and place in Flour Mixture Bowl. Use the Tongs to toss flour over the chicken and flip to make sure the chicken is completely coated. The pick up the chicken with the Tongs and shake off any excess flour.
The reason I like to use Tongs, rather than fingers, is that the wet with the flour will gunk up on your fingers and make it difficult for the flour to stick properly.
Place the Chicken Pieces into the Prepared Air Fryer and give them a good Spritz with your Oil Spritzer. You are ready to Air Fry. I find it is better to cook at a lower temperature and then at the end, increase the temp for a nice crisp finish. The full recipe is below.
You can use your Air Fryer to butter and toast the very soft buns you bought, or, if you love to bake, like I do, use your own homemade Bread Buns. I like to put my Dill Pickle Chips right up on top of the Air Fried Chicken, because they belong on top and not hidden away. Be proud of those Pickles! I also like to add a dollop of mayonnaise to my Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich. Enjoy.
Zaxby’s Chicken Dipping Sauce is really good on this sandwich too, in lieu of mayonnaise!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- GoWise USA 3.7 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Groove
- Meat Tenderizer
- Corelle Mixing Bowls
- Silicone Coated Tongs
- Oil Spritzer
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
Here is your handy printable recipe:
Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken SandwichPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts pounded
- 1/2 cup Dill Pickle Juice
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Celery Seed ground
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Oil Mister
- 4 Hamburger Buns toasted/buttered
- 8 Dill Pickle Chips or more
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper for spicy sandwiches
- Place chicken into a Ziploc Baggie and pound, so that the whole piece is the same thickness, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut chicken into two or three pieces (depending on size).
- Place chicken back into Ziploc baggie and pour in pickle juice. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with the milk.
- In another bowl, combine flour and all spices.
- Using tongs, coat chicken with egg mixture and then into flour mixture, making sure pieces are completely coated. Shake off excess flour.
- Spray the bottom of your Air Fryer with Oil.
- Place chicken into air fryer and spray the chicken with Oil.
- Cook at 340 degrees for 6 minutes. Using silicone tongs, carefully flip the chicken and spray with Oil. Cook for 6 more minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for two minutes on each side.
- Serve on buttered and toasted buns, with 2 pickle chips and a small dollop of mayonnaise, if desired.