Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken is a quick 30 minute restaurant quality meal that you can make any night of the week. Keto and Low Carb.
Several of you have written to me requesting that I convert your favorite recipe.
Today, I am bringing to you this Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken. Kathy Betit Gallagher, from my This Old Gal Facebook Cooking Group, asked me to convert a recipe for her to be made in her Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
What is Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken?
- Chicken cooked in a creamy garlic sauce.
- Spinach and Sun Dried Tomatoes are added in at the end.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Italian Herbs and Spices
- Fresh Garlic
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- High Quality Olive Oil
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan or Asiago Cheese
Kathy and my testers from my This Old Gal Cooking Group tell me that this Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken is definitely a restaurant quality experience. The fact that this is naturally low carb and keto is a huge bonus!
What makes this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Recipe Low Carb?
- Heavy cream is used, which gives it a nice and healthy fat content.
- White meat chicken is a very nice protein.
- Butter, rather than flour, helps to thicken the sauce.
Strict Keto eaters, may want to omit the Sun Dried Tomatoes. Sun Dried Tomatoes are quite strong, so if you add more, do so at your own risk. 😉 Sun Dried Tomatoes come packed in oil or in just the dried state. If the oil based tomatoes are your preference, there is no problem using them instead.
The amount of beneficial nutrients from the sodium, potassium and homemade bone broth, help with keeping electrolytes in check.
Another favorite recipe amongst low carbers is Instant Pot Spicy Crack Chicken. This recipe takes the original recipe up a notch. Try it and let me know what you think. The spice is very mild and can be omitted, if desired.
If you are Low Carbing it, use a Tabletop Spirazlizer to make Zoodles!
As the recipe moves quickly, it is a good idea to have all your ingredients, chopped, diced, mixed and ready to go.
Slice through the thick part of each chicken breast, so that each piece of chicken is about the same thickness. Using a Meat Tenderizer, pound the chicken to make it flat.
For a recipe such as this, consider grabbing chicken when it is on sale.
Use your FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System and prepare several bags with the chicken and marinade and pop into the freezer for future meals.
How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken?
- Marinating the chicken with the Italian seasoning and sea salt in a small mixing bowl will add more flavor to the end result.
- Spices are rubbed into the chicken and are quickly seared in the hot oil.
- The chicken is then cooked in the Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker with the broth and cream.
- After releasing the pressure, shredded Parmesan cheese and spinach is added.
The full recipe and nutritional information is on the Recipe Card below.
A homemade cream sauce is easy to make.
If you don’t have this Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk, think about getting it. It’s my most used Kitchen Tool.
Keep a big batch of my This Old Gal Seasoned Salt next to your stove, as it is a great multi-purpose seasoning.
For stand alone Pressure Cookers use one of the preset buttons with the highest temperature.
Using a good quality olive oil is key to starting with good flavors. Allowing the pressure cooker to heat fully before adding the fat, helps to make a stainless steel pot, non stick.
UNSALTED Chicken Bone Broth/Stock is recommended, so that you can be in control of the salt content.
If you do not have Homemade Chicken Broth, grab yourself a jar of Better than Bouillon Chicken Base. It’s very economical and will work very well. 1.5 teaspoons per cup of Fresh Water is a good ratio.
Mushroom lovers love my Instant Pot Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushrooms Chicken recipe.
The chicken may still be slightly pink inside, but will quickly finish cooking to perfection while simmering.
For a thicker sauce, whisk and simmer for about five minutes or until the sauce has reduced.
Why Grate Your Own Cheese?
- Companies usually put a flour dusting on packaged grated cheese, so that it doesn’t stick. That also causes the cheese to dry out.
- As the blocks are whole, they have not been subjected to air and bacteria and therefore fresher.
- Blocks of cheese are cheaper than pre-shredded. Try buying blocks of cheese and use a Microplane Grater for perfectly shredded cheese.
Asiago cheese can be used in place of Parmesan cheese. The flavor is a bit creamier and the texture is usually softer.
Experiment with both to see which you prefer.
Parmesan and Asiago cheese both work really well for this meal.
The sauce is a thinner and dreamy sauce. If you want to thicken the sauce, check the Notes section on the Recipe Card for directions.
Can Kale be used in Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken?
- Yes, it can. Kale works very well in this recipe too.
- Spinach wilts quickly and kale takes just about a minute longer.
- Use as much greens as you like.
Another idea is to add mushrooms to increase volume and add some vegetable nutrients.
This makes a beautiful and colorful presentation!
Tips and Tricks for Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken.
- Allow the Chicken to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Make sure your cooking pot is screaming hot. Only sear for a couple of seconds on each side.
- Use heavy cream, as anything with less fat, will break during cooking.
- Fresh spinach is best.
For a Mexican themed meal, try this Pressure Cooker Salsa Lime Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice for an all in one pot meal! Happy cooking.
More Instant Pot Italian Recipes to Make:
- Pressure Cooker Lemon Piccata
- Pressure Cooker Zuppa Toscana Italian Soup
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken Marsala
- Pressure Cooker Bruschetta Chicken with Zoodles
For another creamy and yummy recipe, try my Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in Homemade Mushroom Gravy, which is a one pot meal!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Instant Pot, Mealthy MultiPot or Pressure Cooker.
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Culina Stackable (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Anchor Hocking Glass (Liquid) Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alpha Armour Salt Box with Spoon
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- Microplane Artisan Ribbon Grater
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- 2 pounds Chicken Breasts Boneless/Skinless halved and pounded thin
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (optional)
- 4 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon TOG House Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth (or 1/4 cup water + 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach
- ½ cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Slice the chicken breasts in half and pound so they are even.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and garlic to a mixing bowl. Massage marinade into the chicken. (see note)
- Select Sauté or Browning on your pressure cooker and allow to heat.
- When hot, add oil and butter and place the chicken into pressure cooker cooking pot. Brown the pieces of chicken for 10 seconds on each side. (See notes section for a thick sauce option, rather than a cream sauce.)
- Pour in chicken broth, cream and seasoned salt. Quickly deglaze the cooking pot, making sure nothing is stuck on the bottom of the pot.
- Lock on Lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 1 minute.
- When Beep sounds, wait 2 minutes and then carefully release the rest of the pressure.
- Select Sauté/Browning on your pressure cooker and bring to slow simmer. Mix in cheese and sun dried tomatoes.
- Simmer to thicken sauce, if desired. Stir in spinach right before serving.
- Enjoy over zoodles or pasta. (See notes on how to cook pasta at the same time.)
For Creamy Tuscan Chicken PastaDouble all seasonings, add two cups of chicken broth and 8 ounces of pasta prior to setting pressure cook time. If you are Low Carbing it, use a Tabletop Spirazlizer to make Zoodles!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken?
- You will have a lot of the sauce, which will be delicious over Spaghetti Squash, potatoes or noodles.
- I prefer to use DeCecco Farfelle (Butterfly) Pasta as I love the presentation and DeCecco holds up so well!!
- To keep this recipe, Low Carb and Keto, these Low Carb Miracle Noodles are a great choice.
- A side of my Pressure Cooker Mashed Turmeric Cauliflower is perfect, as it will sop up all the yummy Sauce.
- Pressure Cooker Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken pairs nicely with my Pressure Cooker Cauliflower Soufflé.
Optional Step for a Thicker Sauce
- In Step 4, before searing the chicken, lightly dredge the chicken with Potato Starch and shake off and excess Then add the chicken pieces to the pot and continue with the directions.
- My Potato Starch trick will not only keep the chicken tender and juicy while under pressure, it will eliminate a slurry (assuming you want a thick sauce and not a cream sauce) altogether and the raw taste that sometimes is detected.
Thickening Sauce for Low Carbers/Keto
- Add 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese after pressure release and mix in to thicken the sauce.